Aftermarket Maglite Xenon bulbs: Carley v. Sears (Dorcy)

guncollector

Enlightened
Greetings everyone,

Recently our esteemed forum owner, DavidW, sent me 2 Xenon bulbs in a cardboard/blister pack labelled Dorcy XPR-103. These bulbs were sent for a head-to-head comparison against the Carley Lamps Xenon Star #713 (XS #713). The Dorcy bulbs are marketed through the national Sears chain of department stores--and possibly other outlets.

Both of the above-mentioned Xenon bulbs are designed for use in 3-D Cell powered flashlight units, i.e. Maglite 3D amongst others.

The following are pictures of the two bulbs in a side-by-side comparison beamshot format. Both were emplaced in identical Maglite 3D units, and pictures of the beams on tight focus were taken--one with the regular lens, and one with WrightRight (made for PDA's) diffusers applied to the lenses. (Note: for testing purposes, and to avoid skewing the results, I actually swapped out and tested the different maker's bulbs in the two different Maglite 3D units and could find no discernable difference in their respective beams resultant from the switch.)

Here's the first pic with the standard lens installed:
713-xpr.jpg

What is not as noticeable from the pictures, but more so to an eye-witness, is the whiter and slightly brighter light from the Carley XS #713. (Note: DavidW shipped 2 Dorcy XPR-103's to me, and the Carley XS#713's were whiter than either Dorcy when installed and compared side-by-side).

But, without any diffuser installed, notice the "batwing" beam distortion from the Carley Xenon Star #713. I believe this is a function of the elongated and cylindrical-shape of the XS #713's bulb. As DavidW indicated, Dorcy (Sears) XPR-103 bulb has a better beam shape--with stock lens--due probably to its more "squat and barrel"-shaped configuration.

(Note: Carley Lamps has available special mini-washers that assists in "centering" the bulb in your particular reflector. Once "centered", the batwing distortion effect is greatly reduced as to be almost negligible.)

Next, see the following photo of the beams with diffuser applique on the Maglite's lens:
713-xpr-d.jpg

Notice that with the WrightRight diffuser applique in place, the "batwing" distortion of the XS #713 disappears, and even the XPR-103's beam shape is improved a bit.

Conclusion: The Dorcy XPR-103 is a fine alternative to the Carley Xenon Star #713. In fact, if you're not going to apply a diffuser to your lens (or don't have the Carley mini-washers to assist in "centering" the XS #713), I would say the XPR-103 is an outright winner due to its "drop-in" beam shape (despite being a touch less bright and less white than the XS #713).

However, if you're going to apply a WrightRight-type film diffuser to the lens of your flashlight unit, have the Carley mini-washers, or alternatively have a stipled reflector, then I would recommend the Carley XS #713--for its slightly brighter and whiter beam.

Either aftermarket bulb is a great improvement of the standard Maglite Krypton bulb.

Next, I'll try and get comparison shots of the XPR-103, XS #713, and the newly-released Maglite Xenon bulbs (when I can get my hot little hands on one...anybody have a spare then can send to me for testing?).

HTH.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! MAybe I can pop this bulb in the PT Tec40.... btw....does anyone know if PT is releasing a Alu reflector for the PT 40? I tried a 6 watt halogen bulb on it and the reflector started wrinkling.....

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ron - That would be the perfect overdrive. I recieved the 712 & 713 bulbs, and I love them. I concur with your findings. I too would love to see if they can handle the overdrive. (wanted to do that but only got one 713 and didn't want to risk it). Curious to see how long they would last. I figure 3 five minute tests or 5 three minute tests would offer real life test reasults. Thanks for doing the testing!
PS. I hear that HomeDepot and Lowes home centers have the new Mag Xenon Star bulbs. I'll check around here and let you know if I can find any.
--Tim

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Could you give us an indication of how much light output is 'eaten up' by WrightRight to smooth out the beam?

Also, the batwings may be due to the two stalks that hold up the filament casting a shadow on the beam. Just my theory.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My experience says Mags are EXTREMELY picky about bulb centering. I think that Carley was just enough crocked in the first pick to mess the beam up bad.

As to film and light levels. I have Belkin brand film, and if the light was bright enough to start with it helps. It'll just **** you off if it was the least bit weak to start with! (Like a Dorcy 2D Aluminum I have that doesn't care whether 2Ds or 3Cs, KPR102 XPR103 - it is just a pissy light!)

guncollector

Enlightened
Onyx asks:
Could you give us an indication of how much light output is 'eaten up' by WrightRight to smooth out the beam?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Almost neglible. Really. I've compared two side-by-side (one with diffuser and one without), and there really isn't any discernable light output reduction.

But, its also complicated by the fact that the "diffusing" (aka "smoothing") effect of the film (similar to Surefire's beamspreaders) reconfigures the beam's appearance.

Bottom line, I don't hesitate to to apply diffuser film to any of my (Xenon-equipped or not) Maglites, as it improves the beam many-fold, and does not reduce output to any discernable degree.

Also, the batwings may be due to the two stalks that hold up the filament casting a shadow on the beam. Just my theory.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good theory. The other theory of mine is possibly the 2 bilateral triangular cutouts in the bulb's metal socket's "lip".

FYI, I should have mentioned it above, but Carley Lamps can also supply you with "mini-washers" to raise/lower the XS #713 in place by a few hundredths of an inch to better "center" the beam and reduce the batwing distortion of the beam.

I just checked out another Maglite 3D in the house that has the washers in place, and the batwing effect is almost negligible.

HTH.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Onyx:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree the loss is minimal and worth it. However, I do think that the loss can be slightly more noticeable in the outer corona part of the beam. I have experimented a little with putting the WriteRight just in the center of the lens and leaving an outer ring of the lens uncovered. This works to smooth the hotspot while leaving most of the original corona on SOME lights. It works particularly well on my PT Blast and PT Solo, but all my Mags require a full covering of the entire lens for the best beam.

Also, the poor LED beams on my Rayovac Sportsman 3-in-one headlamp really benefited from WriteRight-- smoothing not only the bright patches, but also the color variation.

WriteRight has really given new life to some lights that I just wouldn't use otherwise.

El Lobo

Newly Enlightened
Just as info,
I found the Belkin brand,(12 sheets), at Officemax for $2.00. It was for the HP Jornada series that they weren't going to carry any longer, so they had it on the "Bargain Table". Maybe some of you can luck out also on this.
Good Luck,
El Lobo

guncollector

Enlightened
DavidW inquires:
guncollector, Do you have 4 and 5 cell Mag Lites?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I have access to a 4-Cell. I may procure a 5-Cell for an overdrive test. Give me a week or so.

El Lobo writes:
I found the Belkin brand,(12 sheets), at Officemax for $2.00. It was for the HP Jornada...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Be careful to use ONLY ones for BLACK & WHITE PDA's! I'm informed from other's experiences that ones for color PDA's will not work well on your flashlight.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
guncollector, I found some Mag Lite Mag-Num Star Xenon bulbs at The Home Depot. For 3 and 4 cell lights. They're on their way. No 5 or 6 cells to be found.

You'll have to take a pic of the 4 cell bulb for all to see. It's shaped differently.

guncollector

Enlightened
DavidW-

Okay. I'll eagerly await the arrival of the Maglite Mag-Num Star Xenon (MNSX) bulbs and post up some comparison beamshots.

I'll also get pics of up all four bulbs (XS#713, XPR-103, MNSX/3-Cell, and MNSX/4-Cell) at that time.

I'm going to postpone the "overdrive" testing until then.

guncollector

Enlightened
DavidW-

I just got in the bulbs (all of them) today! I'm heading out to Detroit on business for a few days, and will get to do some comparison testing and beamshots next week.
wink.gif