Surefire 6P & Extenders

Reaper

Enlightened
I'm currently running a 6P, a A19 and McClicky using 2xAA's. It was mentioned that another (other than a A19) extender could be added to then use 3xAA's but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. The A14 keeps going through my mind but I'm not sure and I would hate to buy one and then find out that it was incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
It may help to think of this in terms of approximate length:

6P's are 70mm
9P's are 100mm
A19's are 30mm
A14's are 50mm
AA's are 50mm

So:

a 9P is good for 2x AA's
a 9P + A14 is good for 3x AA's
replace 9P with 6P+ A19 as needed

Reaper

Enlightened
ElectronGuru,

Thanks for your help. I can now add the A14 to my 6P and run 3 AA's. I really don't know why I want one since 1 extender already looks weird less alone 2 but what the heck? I need something to run down my rechargeables AA's, right?

Again thanks.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reaper,
I have a dedicated SF incan set-up that I am very fond of. Depending on the bulb, I run either 3 or 4 AAs. Whether it is is a strion bulb in an FM D26 adapter, or a P60, or P61; this is the rig that allowed me to start exploring incan goodness guilt-free after a few years of getting into lights here and only having leds initially. The A19 is just a smidgen longer than an AA, so if you have 'connectivity issues', you might want to try dropping a thin washer into the bezel against the lens to help force the
lamp assy./led module back against the battery contacts a little better. 3AAs seems to work a little more reliably than 4 AAs for me. Also, to keep the AAs a little bit better centered for better contact, you might want to use some sort of spacer. I have little 'donuts' of polyvinyl tubing on each end of each AA, since I had a hard time finding a one-piece tube of the correct dimensions. Also, keep in mind that even though they say 1.2v on the side, AA nimhs tend to run more like 1.3v (1.4v dropping to 1.3v 'under load') fresh off the charger. I've instaflashed a P60 with 5 AA eneloops, making the mistake of thinking that 5 times '1.2v' was just perfect.

Reaper

Enlightened
novice,

I'm going to have one of my 6P's dedicated to only 1, 2, 3 AA's powering a Malkoff M30F module. It's already lighting up on 2 AA's but for some strange reason I also wanted a 3rd. It will be butt ugly long but then again - who cares? I definately don't since I'll be using cheap rechargeable AA's while I'll reserve the more costly 123's for the other 6P's and MD2.

I won't have any problems with centering the battery contacts since I'm ready using a
AA battery tube holder from a UB kit bought here years ago. Since the M30 series run from 1-5.5 volts, I'll have also have no issues with voltages at the same time.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reaper,
I've been wanting to acquire an M30/M30W for exactly what you've described, but they are hard to snag. There will be an 'M31' from Gene eventually, so I'll just have to wait.