Jetbeam Jet III ST BVC; Two or Three Clicks?

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Just received my Jetbeam Jet-III ST BVC light recently.

Seems to be a well built, solid light, with nice styling! :thumbsup:

First thing I noticed was that the bezel anodizing is darker than the body and tail. Not a major issue, but it's something I'm not entirely happy with. :sigh: And no, the light is not for sale (yet). :popcorn:

I reprogrammed the three available modes by setting brightness levels to those I'm most likely to use. The method of entering programming is to half-click the clicky switch three times quickly while the light is switched on in one of the available modes. The reprogramming seemed to work OK.

Today, I wanted to make slight adjustments to the brightness levels. But to enter programming NOW, I have to press the switch TWO times quickly!? Now, if I press the switch three times, the light will jump to the next mode and start to adjust the brightness level for that next mode instead of the mode I wanted to adjust!?:confused::thinking:

I might be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain I did three clicks when first reprogamming the light. But from today, now it only requires two clicks.

I did switch the light on and off, and cycled through the modes/levels, including strobe, several times since first reprogramming. I'm wondering if, by mistake, I changed the programming access to two clicks instead of three???:thinking: Or was I initially mistaken about the number of clicks required to access programming?

My understanding is that this is one of the latest batch of lights manufactured. Maybe the number of clicks required to access programming has now changed to TWO clicks (even though the manual continues to mention three clicks)?

Any ideas?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like another Jet-III Pro BVC program bug and it's all to common occurrence. My BVC always programed the next mode and not the one I am in. My 18650 only model does fine.

I have never understood why the Jet-III ST BVC only suffers this bug and the other Jetbeam I.B.S models do not. I've never had a problem with the Jet M or Jet-I Pro nor have I read members complain in mass like I have with the Jet-III Pro ST BVC.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I wonder if maybe it is the switches and not the program? You have to be awfully quick and light-touched on those clickies to program these Jets.

I only say this because I have two Jet 1 Pro v3s. The first programs flawlessly. The second, for some reason is darn near impossible to get in program mode. Once I was in, it worked fine. With luck, I'll never have to change it again. The switches on the two lights feel different.

And no, I'm not going to switch the tailcaps! Who knows what will happen to my lights then. :faint:

Now, these two lights should have the same circuitry, I think. But the directions for the I.B.S. programming for the two lights are different. The first light I got had directions which said three clicks from any mode lets you program that mode. The second light had directions whidch said three clicks from any mode lets you program the next mode. But....each light programs the mode I am in when I enter the program menu.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

I really hope JetBeam can sort this out, because I think that Jet III Pro ST is a very nice light, but with all the complaints about the programming problems, I won't touch it until it is resolved

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Well, that's bizarre. Perhaps you can send a note off to the Retailer that sold you the light and get an exchange as that doesn't sound right. That's too bad about the Jet III ST as I was eyeing that light...

Interestingly, I just received my JB Jet I and the instructions specifically state: "To program the IBS BVC model: 1) Go to the mode that precedes the mode you wish to program. i.e. If you want to program Mode "B", you would start on mode "A"." While this seems quirky to me, I tried it on my Jet I and it doesn't work in that fashion - instead, you go to the mode you want, then press 3 times. :thinking:

meeshu

Enlightened
Had I known there were programming issues with (many) Jet-III ST BVC lights, I probably wouldn't have bought one! :ohgeez:

Before purchasing the light, I looked at several reviews which did not mention any programming difficulties.

Apart from entering programming mode using two clicks instead of three clicks, my light seems to work as expected, as least for now.

Given that programming issues seem to effect many Jet-III ST BVC lights (for the moment), I'm not sure that it is worth trying to replace my light for another. Chances are I might get a light with similar problems(?) :(

For now, I'll keep the light. But, I'm leaning more towards selling the light, especially if the Jet-I light I ordered (which should arrive within a week) works without issues. :popcorn:

I tried numerous times double and triple clicking the switch at different rates. Almost invariably, two clicks enters programming mode for the current mode. And three clicks enters programming mode for the next mode.

Whether the problem is due to the switch and/or due to the electronics, I don't know.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
For now, I'll keep the light. But, I'm leaning more towards selling the light, especially if the Jet-I light I ordered (which should arrive within a week) works without issues. :popcorn:

I had to sell mine could not adjust to it, sold it at the Marketplace and I made clear to the buyer of the program bug but he was happy to take it anyway.

My Jet-I works great and I don't think I have heard anyone with the program problem and it seems the Jet-I has been selling like crazy.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I recently bought a Jetbeam ST BVC and it takes three half presses but I've found the trick to making sure it does that consistently is to switch it to the wanted mode and then leave it for at least eight seconds before I do the triple half press (and the triple half presses must be done quite fast). It then works correctly for me every time.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Jetbeam ST BVC and it takes three half presses but I've found the trick to making sure it does that consistently is to switch it to the wanted mode and then leave it for at least eight seconds before I do the triple half press (and the triple half presses must be done quite fast). It then works correctly for me every time.

Aha, so that's the 8-second vs 2-second program issue with the BVC version of the Jet III ST?

If I'm understanding you correctly, then what you would do is go to Mode A, let it run for at least 8 seconds, then do the triple-press to enter programming mode. Then, you should leave it off for another 8 seconds before turning it back on, and then go to Mode B. Then repeat the same steps for Mode B, and finally, Mode C? So, eight seconds on in any mode you want to program, then program, then leave it off for eight seconds before turning it on again and going to the next mode?

OR, does it NOT matter how long you leave it off after you program a mode, but only that you leave it on for 8 seconds in the mode you want to program before you program that mode?

(Not trying to be annoying, withe the text but I really want to figure this light out before I buy one. Or I ain't gonna pull the trigger on it.)

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Aha, so that's the 8-second vs 2-second program issue with the BVC version of the Jet III ST?
yep, and it's a pain. Such a silly thing. The 2 seconds of the Jet-1 v3 is way long enough already.

If I'm understanding you correctly, then what you would do is go to Mode A, let it run for at least 8 seconds, then do the triple-press to enter programming mode. Then, you should leave it off for another 8 seconds before turning it back on, and then go to Mode B. Then repeat the same steps for Mode B, and finally, Mode C? So, eight seconds on in any mode you want to program, then program, then leave it off for eight seconds before turning it on again and going to the next mode?
That is precisely how I have to do mine. It works.

OR, does it NOT matter how long you leave it off after you program a mode, but only that you leave it on for 8 seconds in the mode you want to program before you program that mode?
To repeat for clarity, yes, it does matter. Off for eight seconds to let the change "soak into memory" before you do the next thing.

Before you "pull the trigger" think carefully. Do you already own a programmable jetbeam like the Jet-i v3? This ST BVC torch falls accidently into program mode a LOT easier than the jet-i. My ST BVC seriously badly needs an OP reflector (none in stock at BOG at the moment) cos there's a very dark hole in the centre of the hotspot, very noticeable in the outdoors. My ST BVC is no brighter than my Jet-i V3 nor does it throw as far as my jet-i V3. The only advantage the ST BVC has for me is that it has a much longer run time thans to the 18650. I liked it for a day or two but went back to my P20c2 after I got sick of it accidently falling into program mode and realised that the beam is nothing to write home about.

meeshu

Enlightened
Waited for half a minute to a minute after switching the light on before attempting to enter programming mode. I tried this several times.

Results -> for my light it is TWO clicks to program CURRENT mode; and THREE clicks to program NEXT mode.

Actually, I prefer two clicks rather the three clicks to enter programming mode, it means less work to adjust light settings. :twothumbs

However. Mostly due to anodizing color mismatch (bezel several shades darker than rest of light), and due to minor issue with box and its' contents received with the light, I think this light will be sold.

I hope the Jet-I light due to be received soon is better. :popcorn:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Waited for half a minute to a minute after switching the light on before attempting to enter programming mode. I tried this several times.

Results -> for my light it is TWO clicks to program CURRENT mode; and THREE clicks to program NEXT mode.

Actually, I prefer two clicks rather the three clicks to enter programming mode, it means less work to adjust light settings.
Two half presses (there's actually no clicks) for me means many times easier to accidently fall into program mode when I don't want it. I'd prefer six half presses.

There are either two versions of the torch that program differently since mine will allow three half presses to do the current mode and yours only allows two or perhaps there is more than one way to skin the same cat or thirdly there's something different in the way we half press.

** after a few experiments here, i've found that mine (three weeks old) will program the current mode by doing two fast half presses or by doing three fast half presses. That might explain why mine has fallen into program mode accidently so many times. I always though I'd have an extra half press up my sleeve when changing modes fast than I really had.

Either way,, by doing two fast half presses in succession or by doing three fast half presses in succession, I cannot make the thing program the "next" mode. It always programs the "current" mode. I've tried this now about twenty times to check. The only way I can get mine to program the "next" mode when doing three is by leaving a gap between the first and second half presses so it actually changes modes first before entering program mode. Perhaps some torches are more sensitive to "gaps" than others, or perhaps some versions' internal programs are just generally stuffed up........