new member asking for recomendations

dingo217

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I'm after some help choosing a flashlight for outdoor use such as hiking/orienteering and also for my job as an emergency service officer, any suggestions would be great!

Here is my wish list of things I would like from the flashlight:

- LED with enough light to show terrain detail 100 meters away on a hiking trail (sorry about the meters and not feet, I'm an Aussie!)
- Run on AA or AAA batteries
- Robust enough to take being kicked around at an accident area
- Idealy it would be waterproof enough to use at the bottom of a pool but I would also settle for highly water resistant eg IP56

any help would be great, thanks!

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
If you can take the yellowy orangey "neutral" tint colour a Fenix TK20 would fit the bill. 2 x AA. Good at a hundred yards and built very tough so will stand dropping and maybe cop a booting too. Has a rubberised grip to help when wearing gloves at the crash scene too.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 meters is kind of far. For AA lights, you might need something with an aspherical head for that kind of throw.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel "100 meters is kind of far." +1

Looking at selfbuilt's 2xAA Round-up Review:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890
None of the 2AA lights have a throw of 100 meters

To get 100 meters of throw and stay with common batteries you need a bigger light such as a Fenix TK40 (8AA, I worry about the battery carrier in rough use) or a Rebel Mag LED (NOT the one with '3 WATT LED' on the package; the BIG D size one, NOT the minimag.).

If you can live with 78 meters of throw, as already suggested the Fenix TK20.
If you scroll down to the 1st outdoor beamshot in the review, you can see how the warmer tint makes the vegetation stand out.

Last edited: