Did I made the right choice on Zebra light SC50?

Ian2381

Enlightened
I Just pulled the trigger on a Zebralight SC50 Neutral.
Picked it over Nitecore D10, Fenix LD10, Jetbeam E3S.

Now I read here that nitecore will be releasing soon the D11.

I will be using it mainly as EDC on a semi tight jeans.

Did I made the right choice?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one but it seems like a high quality, versatile little thing. I hadn't thought of using one for EDC, but thinking about it I don't see why it wouldn't make a very good one.

I just got the SC30 a couple weeks ago. I love everything about it, the one thing I was apprehensive about was the beam. I like floody lights and frankly I've been spoiled by a couple XP-G lights I have. The beam on the SC30 is a lot tighter than most of my other lights and for a while I was considering returning it. But once I stopped comparing it to all my other lights, I realized the beam is actually quite nice. Especially when you consider how well the UI works, and just how dang small the thing is, I love the light. The SC50 is just a little different considering it has strobe, but I consider that a good thing. I can nearly guarantee you'll end up locking out the tailcap if you use it for pocket carry, but the lockout is a dream. The threads are VERY tight and it only takes 1/8 of a turn to permanently break contact. Good luck with your new purchase!!

Edit: I should refer to it as the hotspot that is tight; the overall spill beam is quite large.

yowzer

Enlightened
If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest light that's due to come out soon... you'll never buy a new light again.

Come to think of it, that's not a bad strategy... :broke:

Ian2381

Enlightened
:thumbsup:

Haha. I thought I've won by thinking getting parts for upgrading my current lights will stop me on buying new ones. But again I lost my composure.:paypal:
I currently owned a lot of Single Cell lights for EDC but I still can't resist buying new ones.:broke:

Hopefully the SC50 will make me content for now...

manitoe

Newly Enlightened
I bought a SC50 a few weeks ago and I love it. It's very well made, the UI is excellent and it packs a serious punch on a 14500. I like it so much that I'm now thinking about picking up the SC50w as well, so yeah, I think you've made the right choice :twothumbs

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I have limited experience with quality lights, but thought I'd chime in anyway.
Received 2 sc50w's a few days ago, one's meant to be a present - they'll be lucky if they ever actually get it!

Tint was a little more towards yellow than I anticipated, it is growing on me although I'm not completely sold on it just yet. (wishing I'd bought one of each tint to try out)

The build quality and operation of the light are absolutely outstanding!!
They are surprisingly small.
The ability to near enough as instantly switch to the mode of choice from off..... - is there anything else that can offer this?
I suppose the closest would be something like the bigger heavier Jetbeams - the ones with the rotating bezel adjustments.

How about the size, weight & efficiency of the Zebra!!!

You will be one very happy customer :party: just like me!

Luxman

Enlightened
I like mine very much. Got it a couple of weeks ago and also found it to have a little more yellow tint than expected.... but I like it..

So I also got the H501w. Warm flood 90 deg light (headlamp). Also very nice, but I would like this with the new UI for a lower mode.

From Off, I think they could slightly decrease the pressed switch time duration required to go into High mode. Maybe 100ms or so.
In other words, from Off, I would like to be able to hold the button down slightly less time and still hit low mode.
(From Off, I still accidentally hit high when I want low mode.)

pae77

Enlightened
I got an SC50w as well. Overall, it's a great, super compact, well built and powerful light but I agree with some of the points made here.

I also feel the tint is a tad too yellow. I wish it had the same tint as my H501w which is about perfect, imo, tint-wise. (Btw, my H501w does have the new UI with the two stage low, which I like.)

Back to the SC50w, mine activates in my jeans pocket unless I lock it out, but as mentioned above, that's very easy with this light. Can be locked out with just a fraction of a turn, maybe even less than an 1/8th.

Aside from the too yellow tint, my biggest disappointment with the SC50w is the beam. While I can see it might be perfect for some, I feel the hotspot is too tight and the spill is too weak and wide. I would prefer a slightly bigger, less intense hot spot (even though this would provide less throw) and a slightly tighter brighter spill. In other words, I wish the beam overall was a bit more evenly floody, instead of the super tight bright hot spot with the huge weak spill. If the spill was about 10% tighter and brighter, even at the cost of some of the intensity of the hot spot, I think it would be much improved.

But the build quality and heat sinking on my SC50w is awesome and I love the super compact size, the good runtimes, the side clicky and the UI is pretty good once you get used to it. It's nice and bright on high, especially with 14500's and the two stage medium and low are nice.

If you are happy with the beam, it's a great choice.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
It Just got Shipped today and the waiting starts...
I was hoping to be as satisfied as you guys. This is my most expensive EDC light that I intend to use (not to end as shelf queen).:wave:

nuphoria

Newly Enlightened
The quality of my 501 is excellent and I am seriously considering the SC30... need to find a used to one though as it's a wee bit spendy for current budget :broke:

I got really excited when I heard they were making these new versions... haven't heard any bad things yet :thumbsup:

zozo

Newly Enlightened
Really pleased with my sc50w. It's much prettier in person than it looked on the websites (I thought it looked a little too "tactical" in the pictures--turns out to look more tech-y.) The user interface takes a few minutes to get used to, especially the hold for low part. But after a few minutes, it's second nature.

I think the beam is perfectly yellow--that was the point of sacrificing lumens for a warmer tint. I've got plenty of cool white lights--it's a nice change.

Mine doesn't activate in my pants. Maybe my jeans aren't emo enough.

I've got nothing bad to say about the sc50w. It's my new EDC--it's making my preon jealous.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I love mine. I am getting a little bit tired of people referring to XP-G lights as being floody. If you want floody, look at beamshots of the Zebralight H501, the McGizmo Sundrop (and XR-U), as well as the Lunasol 20 on low . . . in fact the difference between a truly even flood of light and an reflectored beam with a true hotspot and flood is the reason why I still carry my LS20 and NOT my SC50. It IS the light I carry when I'm afraid of losing my LS20 for w/e reason (i.e. security checkpoint).

So yes, while the newer, side shooting zebra light may have a more floody beam profile than the SC50, it's negligible, IMHO. If you really want a totally floody, even beam, get one of the lights above. If you want power, get the Dereelight DBS loaded with an MC-E pill and an OP reflector. That's got almost no hotspot . . . good luck getting it into tight jeans, though! :devil:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Does anyone has a beamshot comparison between MiNiAA and SC50?
Just curious. the wait is killing me.