D10: gap between bezel and lens, and a lens scratch

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Well I was playing with my D10 at work a few weeks back and noticed that there was a blemish/scratch on the lens. Any idea what might have caused it? The light sits with a TK-566 and pocket change in my pocket (D10 is clipped). I'm tempted to replace it with a sapphire window, but does anyone make them for the D10?
P1010856.jpg

Another thing I stumbled upon was that there's a gap between the lens and the bezel. I tried to show it in the pic, but its rather hard to do... the pencil lead in that image is 0.7mm diameter, as a point of reference. the lens does not wobble or come loose, but I'm concerned for water permeability, and to the fact that I didn't notice if there was an ORing up there before. I'm tempted to put a GITD ORing there as a replacement if there's supposed to be one.
P1010859.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A scratch is usually caused by something that laid against the lens and moved... I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but those lenses are not very scratch resistant!

I don't know of sapphires or other replacement lenses for the Nitecores. Sapphires are thicker and wouldn't fit I guess, perhaps there are UCL that fit however, I did a little research a while ago, but didn't come to a result as I don't know the exact size of the lens.

As for the gap, I clearly see it in the picture, but I can't see if it's only at that single place (which would mean the body has a problem) or all around? I had D10s where the piston travel was too short, so I removed the light engine (search for instructions on CPF) and tightend the reflector a bit more. You may try that, perhaps the reflector hasn't been screwed in tight... :wave:

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that there's a scratch on the D10 though, as the TK-566 sits in a far more harsh environment (at the bottom of my pocket and constantly interacting with change and whatnot) but the lens on that one is still perfect.

The gap is uniform around the entire head, so that could be it. I should be able to stick an O-Ring up there instead of tightening the light engine right? I don't want to extend the travel any longer than it currently is.

Thanks Henk!