• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD Milky Sprint Run: ARNOR Special Reserve

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave:It's baaaaack. :popcorn: ;)

It's been quite some time since my last sprint run. For the uninitiated, a "Milky Sprint Run" involves sale of a special run of lights that incorporate unusual combinations of parts, enhanced performance, advanced concepts, and the like. The runs may vary in size and can be as few as 2-3 lights, depending on what's on hand for the build. For me it's a proving ground for things that may eventually make their way into more standard builds. For the customer (you guys!) :wave: it's a way to get a special light in your hands without the wait, as well as being on the leading edge of new technologies I'm developing. Hopefully for all involved, it's fun. :cool:

There will be TWO sprint runs this weekend as promised. For this one, I have only TWO pieces of a new platform I've named ARNOR.

img-arnor-profile.jpg

Tale of the tape...

img-arnor-label.gif

The concept behind Arnor is a small, friendly light that's a pleasure to carry, comfortable to hold, easy to use, sufficiently versatile for a wide array of tasks, a true pocket companion. (Well, maybe front pants pocket or jacket pocket.) In fact, it's shorter than the smallest SureFire L1 ever built, yet packs a high beam in the neighborhood of 600 lumens on a fresh cell. Arnor wants to run a rechargeable (AW brand IMR16340, the one with the red jacket) but also runs happily at reduced output on a primary 123 cell. Arnor is also perfectly happy to run on other bodies with different sizes of rechargeable... more on that below.

img-arnor-lookup.jpg

The little guy brings some other amenities to the table, it's more than just a small, bright light. First is the user experience. It works happily with the excellent dual stage tailswitch of SureFire L1 (and L2 and Kroma and LX2) fame... IMHO it's hands-down the best dual stage tail ever made. The oversized boot is easy to press even with gloved hands... and thanks to application of a nanoparticle treatment to the tailthreads of the Arnor bodies, the twist action is silky smooth as well, to the point that one can twist on/off one handed, using only the pad of one's thumb.

img-arnor-side.jpg

The tail includes a lanyard attachment point (the black ring on the tail) that allows for easy lanyard carry. (I'll remove the lanyard attachment at buyer's request.)

img-arnor-breakdown.jpg

Head end of the Arnor body incorporates a plug that allows for easy attachment of the head and maintains structural integrity of the body itself without adding weight. The plug contains a spring that keeps good electrical contact at the head end from the cell's positive to the underside of the head itself. The plug is removable should that ever become necessary.

img-arnor-tabletop.jpg

The head itself was heavily modified. This ain't your garden variety KL4 head! :naughty: The stock heatsink was completely replaced with a custom-fabricated, one piece pedestaled unit; reflector opening was tweaked and underneath, a pocket was milled to accommodate the Cree MC-E emitter at improved focal point.

The LED itself features the Milky PermaFrost treatment I've begun to apply to various MC-E builds... PermaFrost permanently etches the glass dome of the emitter to direct more light into the void at the center of the four dice. Think frosted windows, but MUCH gentler.

Result of all the above is a vastly improved beam relative to the usual KL4/MC-E fare.

img-arnor-diag.jpg

The head incorporates an Acorn NR driver running the newly-developed 'Elendil' version firmware. This firmware supports the dual stage tailswitch in the usual low/high beam manner, but also brings some new tricks to the game.

Tap on the tailswitch twice when the light is off, then turn on to initiate the new "Milky 311" strobe. I developed this strobe with plenty of field experience to be vastly more disorienting than the usual strobe. More than one CPFer who's seen the prototype strobe in action, has mentioned getting nauseous. (At least I hope it was the strobe? Maybe I didn't shower that day.) :rolleyes: The strobe remains engaged until another double-blink returns the light to normal operation.

Tap on the tailswitch four times when the light is off, and Arnor immediately recalibrates itself to optimize its runtime. Outputs will visually look about half as bright, while runtimes will extend to 5-6 times the usual per level. As above, this feature will remain engaged until another four blinks returns Arnor to normal operation.

But wait! There's more! :D :D

This is the first head that incorporates my eDaptable technology. The Arnor head can be moved to any other E-series body and tailswitch, and with 80 taps transforms itself into a Gosling build, with the usual four levels of output ranging from a low of perhaps 0.23 lumen to a high of 600+ lumens. The light still wants to run on a single rechargeable cell, but any size will do: for example, put the head on a FiveMega 1x18650 body for vastly improved runtimes and somewhat brighter output. (And when you're ready to move it back to the L1 body, another 80 blinks will revert back to L1-friendly operation.)

On those blinks (a.k.a. taps) mentioned above: I've improved on the responsiveness so a momentary on/off intended to get a quick look at something, is far less likely to trigger an accidental level change.

img-arnor-colors.jpg

The neutral white tint is nothing short of wonderful. Here's a look at various colors in a dark room, with the only illumination coming from Arnor.

img-arnor-ceiling.jpg

The beam does have a hotspot, but it's well-integrated into a gradual fade outward to unusually bright sidespill. This makes Arnor equally adept at negotiating a sidewalk or hallway, and seeing what's making that stange noise at the other end of the backyard.

The range between high and low beam allows for a wide variety of usable applications. For reference, here's a look at Arnor high and low beams relative to a SureFire U2A running at maximum brightness.

img-arnor-cellar.jpg

As stated above, I have only TWO Arnor complete builds at this time, though I do have a third head if someone is interested.

Cost for the complete Arnor is $375 plus shipping, first come, first served. "I'll take it!" in this thread has priority. Cost for an Arnor head is $300 plus shipping.

Shipping within USA is $5 uninsured (your risk) or $12 with insurance. Cost to ship via Express Mail International with up to $100 insurance coverage (more available at additional cost) is $32. All shipments include tracking to the limits of the means of shipping chosen.

Paypal for the winners can go to (typed in funky style to discourage spambot harvesting):
paypal ~~AT~~ QuarryRun %%DoT&& com!

Hope you guys like Arnor! I certainly do... would have had another unit to offer but ended up keeping one for myself once I saw how well the lights turned out. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS Milky Sprint Run: ARNOR Special Reserve

I'll take a complete light.

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Makes me look forward to my gossling build even more. Nice light Scott!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SPF Milky Sprint Run: ARNOR Special Reserve

CONGRATULATIONS to the three fortunate gents who scored one of these lights! I am fortunate to have been able to chat with Milky about the lights - they are special indeed! Even with so many cool lights available these days, my bet is that the Arnor Special Reserve ends up being a highly sought after light for its output, flexibility and uniqueness.

I am not privileged to any special information, but I'd be willing to bet that there will be many more cool surprises from the "Milky Labs!" I know I'll be watching! He did say "Two sprint runs today", right?

:popcorn:

:twothumbs:twothumbs

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

They went fast. Look like great lights that a lot of thought and time went into. Very nice Scott!:thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Sold out in 9 minutes.

Surprised it took that long. ;)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is what I get for leaving my computer for more than 10 minutes today........ That light looks awesome!!

ejot

Enlightened

Fantastic project, and congrats to the lucky purchasers!

Milky - PM sent.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic work, as usual Milky! Insanely good.

The work you put in to all of these mods is crazy. Great Job! I wish I could get one!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice lights and like the LOTR naming. The UI is evolving nicely. Time for a reflash of my Creemator.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll take it - complete build

Just what I wanted - a happy flashlight!

:paypal: including insured shipping.

Received!! White wall in my apt looks great. Tint is indeed very nice. Quickest comparison I had was with Mac's SST-50 EDC 2.8 cool (also running on 1 imr). Brightness looks to be about the same, tint is much nicer (I've got Mac's EDC 2.8 in warm as well - prefer that to the cool).

On direct comparison to the SST-50 on a white wall I can detect a slight donut hole - the fact I didn't notice it earlier means I believe that in real life use Scott did a wonderful job on it.

Immediate thoughts - HOMERUN.

• Great tint
  • Great output
  • Great flexibility with ability to move the head around and use other cells than imr (at lower output).
Tried the strobe - I'm not a strobe fan. Does not do a regular pattern.

Very very nice. :party: :party: :party:

Just may well replace the creemator head on my 2-pak (17670) McClicky at times - but then again no imr 17670s yet that I know of so I wouldn't get full power (also no guarantee that they would fit).

Neale

Great news in response from Scott below
I've been very impressed with the SST-50 (I also have it in a DarkZero build - MAG, running at over 5 A on 2 IMR C size cells - okay large size - & large heat sink), previously the MC-E was a favorite of mine - good to note Scott's comments on the lower heat at similar output (multi die).
Yes I did a very brief comparison of Mac's EDC (which is a favorite of mine, I've got 2) - same imr cell, pretty similar output. Note that I only saw the (very) slight donut after putting the single die SST-50 on the wall. Looking at it now - ~30 minutes later without the SST-50 I did have to look very hard, there is a very slight darker area in the middle. Real life use - it will be fantastic.

Great to hear about not requiring a IMR with larger cells!

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neale, glad you like your Arnor. As to your comments, quickly...

Your Arnor is running at roughly 1.8A output current at full power on a fresh charge, though this will vary a bit from light to light... Arnor takes advantage of the improved efficiency of an MC-E relative to SST-50 in that part of its performance curve. It allows for less heat and relatively lower drive current for equivalent brightness, leading to longer runtimes... that was important to me given the limits of the power source. Note that I'm referring to the SST-50 emitter itself and NOT to a comparison between Arnor and Mac's EDC builds. Mac does fine work... I refer only to the performance of the MC-E vs. SST-50 themselves at the component level.

As for the donut you see on a perfectly white background, you must have looked VERY closely! The KL4 reflector is notorious for showing a donut or cross artifact with the MC-E, but the combination of PermaFrost and focal point fine tuning comes darned close to eliminating it, as you'd noted. I've built several hundred MC-E lights and can honestly say these are among the cleanest I've ever seen. (And the little that remains seemed a small price to pay for the improved efficiency of the MC-E.)

Non-IMR will not necessarily run at reduced brightness, and in larger cell sizes you don't need to use the IMR at all. A regular, AW black jacket protected 17670 cell would run Arnor nicely. I'm running my personal Arnor on a black jacket 17500, in fact...

img-arnor-milky-personal-ba.jpg

For a cell as small as a 123, I recommend ONLY the IMR cells as the current draw goes well beyond the safe limits of conventional lithium-ion in that particular format. Larger cells will do fine.