fenix TK20 or Ld20 (urgent)

Nc527

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, need your opinion on this matter asap, I need to order in the morning and need to know now. The 2 lights in the title are the ones Im stuck between. My uses for the light are below.

Camping- walking at night, biking to the bathhouse and back, walking the dog

hunting- light for walking back to the atv at night, after the hunt

around the house- light for when the power goes out, as a lantern etc.

Which light is better suited for thease tasks.
One more question, Is the tint of the tk20 like the tint of a mini mag AA, or in between that and a cool led.

red02

Enlightened
Since its multi-purpose go with the LD20 R4. its a floodier, newer emitter, more levels and it can take a diffuser for lantern effect, forget if the tk20 has a diffuser also. those 220/40lm modes can get really bad, really fast if you need 10lm at home/power outage/walking in pitch black darkness.

http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_tk20/index.html
http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_ld20/

Also consider the Olight I25 infinite variable levels.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK20 has only 2 modes (high and low) but it has a neutral emitter so the light will be closer to a incandescent.

The LD20 has 5 modes (low, med, high, SOS and strobe) so if you need the lower mode, go with this light.

LightningRod

Newly Enlightened
The low on the TK20 is too bright for indoor use at night. With LD20 you can get a flip up diffuser cap that is less bulky than the TK20 wand. There is no cap diffuser for the TK.

TK is more rugged though, and rubber grip is nice. I bought one for my dad and he likes it. But it's lack of a true low makes it a second light for me (so if you are buying a second light then the TK).

For just one light I think LD20 is more versatile. In fact I would get the LD10 R4, in selfbuilt's review he shows it's almost as bright as the LD20 on just one AA.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277658

Last edited:

Nc527

Newly Enlightened
I decided to go with the quark AA2 reguler. Mainly due to the higher output, and the 0.2lum moonlight mode.

RoadKingMoe

Newly Enlightened
I decided to go with the quark AA2 reguler. Mainly due to the higher output, and the 0.2lum moonlight mode.

I believe you'll love it. It's just a tad shorter than the incandescent Mini MagLites we've use for decades, and with lithium primaries, should run about 2 to 3 times the times specified for alkalines (and without the corrosion worry). My wife and I were considering the Fenix LD20, but wanted to use Lithium primaries and without buck regulation, the LD20 loses its lower settings. The single cell LD10 doesn't have that problem, but doesn't have the run time we want. So we looked at the Quarks.

We got two of the Quark AA^2 Regulars in the mail Saturday. She left our Field Day site to go home and pick them up so we'd have them that night. We already had a pack of four Energizer Ultimate Lithiums for them.

The beam is perfect for camping, and for our use, bicycling at seven mph. For camping, head-loose starts on low and works up to a high that's all you need at the site. The head-tight Turbo mode is perfect for walking across the field to the the rest rooms... easy to spot and avoid that black and white kitty in the spill beam. Used on the bike in Turbo mode, just a touch of the clicky invokes strobe, to get driver's attention. The Fenix bike mounts work well with it.

Put the cotter ring through two holes so you can still use the light as a candle and clip the lanyard on pretty quickly. I misplaced mine several times the first night--but that's just me.

Last edited: