Olight SR90 Beamshots (Long Range)

chanjyj

Enlightened
I haven't posted a review for quite a while, and recently while in the mountains for an assignment, found the time to take some beamshots since my gear was around w/ me.

Hope someone finds this useful when considering their purchase :whistle:
(My distance information is estimated, but I'd wager it's a relatively accurate estimate)

CONTROL SHOT (200mw Laser)
laser.jpg

400m
1.jpg

300m
2.jpg

300m CLOSEUP CONTROL SHOT
4.jpg

300m CLOSEUP SHOT
5.jpg

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Wow, Nice shots. Is that in Singapore? Edit: ( Sorry dumb question. You said you were in the mountains on your OP )

OT a bit, since you have the SR90, how do you travel with it? Do you put it in the original suitcase and hand carry or get yourself a Pelican case and check in? I get into all sort of problems when boarding an aircraft with it. Some of the airport security staff are a pain in the A_ _ when it comes to big lights. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Wow, Nice shots. Is that in Singapore? Edit: ( Sorry dumb question. You said you were in the mountains on your OP )

OT a bit, since you have the SR90, how do you travel with it? Do you put it in the original suitcase and hand carry or get yourself a Pelican case and check in? I get into all sort of problems when boarding an aircraft with it. Some of the airport security staff are a pain in the A_ _ when it comes to big lights. Thanks in advance.

Nah, that ain't Singapore. If Singapore has mountains I'll be able to fly with wings :crackup:

I use a SKB 3I-1611-6B-C (http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/p...ail.php?id=513) to carry the SR90 (and my entire collection also). Bringing all my lights around brings a new meaning to "bright". :naughty:

isku_view_image.php

MIL-STD-810F
MIL-STD-C-4150J
MIL-STD-648C
IP67

I have never gotten into any problems when traveling. Well, at least not yet. Maybe it's because my camera equipment comes in 2 other bags which are even heavier... Seriously, when taking into account my camera batteries, studio strobe batteries, torch batteries etc, the amount of lithium-ion batteries I carry around is enough to blow a hole in the cabin. They shouldn't find any issue with with you UNLESS you carry more than me (or do you go round holding your torches like you want to wack someone over the head with them?)

Last edited:

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Nah, that ain't Singapore. If Singapore has mountains I'll be able to fly with wings :crackup:

I use a SKB 3I-1611-6B-C (http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/p...ail.php?id=513) to carry the SR90 (and my entire collection also). Bringing all my lights around brings a new meaning to "bright". :naughty:

isku_view_image.php

MIL-STD-810F
MIL-STD-C-4150J
MIL-STD-648C
IP67

I have never gotten into any problems when traveling. Well, at least not yet. Maybe it's because my camera equipment comes in 2 other bags which are even heavier... Seriously, when taking into account my camera batteries, studio strobe batteries, torch batteries etc, the amount of lithium-ion batteries I carry around is enough to blow a hole in the cabin. They shouldn't find any issue with with you UNLESS you carry more than me (or do you go round holding your torches like you want to wack someone over the head with them?)

:laughing: Looks like we travel alike. I usually lug around a Lowepro roller, a backpack and a big Pelican case which looks like it went through the Gulf war. It has given up on me recently due to my stupidity. I forgot to secure it on my Thule rack and drove off. I'm looking for a replacement, how is the SKB in your opinion? Where can I get my hands on one? Thanks.

chanjyj

Enlightened
:laughing: Looks like we travel alike. I usually lug around a Lowepro roller, a backpack and a big Pelican case which looks like it went through the Gulf war. It has given up on me recently due to my stupidity. I forgot to secure it on my Thule rack and drove off. I'm looking for a replacement, how is the SKB in your opinion? Where can I get my hands on one? Thanks.

Well, I haven't the faintest idea where you live so :shrug:
If you live in Singapore that's a different case altogether though.

My SKB case is fantastic. Anyway, there are only 3 main players in the market - Pelican, SKB and STORM. You can't go wrong with anyone of them. The last I heard, SKB bought over Pelican (or was it the other way around?).

Doesn't matter to me though, cause my SKB warranty says that they will replace or repair any case that I trash - no matter how I trash it. I'm kinda tempted to try though, to be honest :devil:

Lowepro. Hmm. I used to use Lowepro. But I feel it has grown complacent over the years and better offerings have come out. Specifically, ThinkTank. They are just like SKB, a serious "no rhetoric" warranty. I'm glad, cause one of bags has gone through much abuse and seems about ready to rip.

chanjyj

Enlightened
A not-so-long-range shot. But I find it amazing you can see them beam even when it's so bright.

olight1.jpg

And an image of the SR90 lighting up a building. Note that the picture has been colour corrected, and tweaked slightly. The CRI of the SR90 is not that fantastic, and the tint is certainly blue and not this warm.
olight2.jpg

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Well, I haven't the faintest idea where you live so :shrug:
If you live in Singapore that's a different case altogether though.

My SKB case is fantastic. Anyway, there are only 3 main players in the market - Pelican, SKB and STORM. You can't go wrong with anyone of them. The last I heard, SKB bought over Pelican (or was it the other way around?).

Doesn't matter to me though, cause my SKB warranty says that they will replace or repair any case that I trash - no matter how I trash it. I'm kinda tempted to try though, to be honest :devil:

Lowepro. Hmm. I used to use Lowepro. But I feel it has grown complacent over the years and better offerings have come out. Specifically, ThinkTank. They are just like SKB, a serious "no rhetoric" warranty. I'm glad, cause one of bags has gone through much abuse and seems about ready to rip.

I might be your neighbor. :crackup: I'm in the same island you're in.

My Pelican has been with me as long as I can remember. Its time for it to go. :sigh: Time for a replacement.

The old Lowe's are still quite robust. So far so good.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I might be your neighbor. :crackup: I'm in the same island you're in.

My Pelican has been with me as long as I can remember. Its time for it to go. :sigh: Time for a replacement.

The old Lowe's are still quite robust. So far so good.

You can get both Pelicans & SKBs at Sheares (Little India). But you have to know the staff well to get a discount. Look for Francis.

STORM can be found at John 3:16 in Funan.

To OT a bit, are you a pro photographer? It's been a long time since I seen someone who is really working as a photog and now some GWC who calls himself pro. Your Lowepro roller hints towards that.. but then again I do know some serious enthusiasts who carry a s!@%load of equipment with them.

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
You can get both Pelicans & SKBs at Sheares (Little India). But you have to know the staff well to get a discount. Look for Francis.

STORM can be found at John 3:16 in Funan.

To OT a bit, are you a pro photographer? It's been a long time since I seen someone who is really working as a photog and now some GWC who calls himself pro. Your Lowepro roller hints towards that.. but then again I do know some serious enthusiasts who carry a s!@%load of equipment with them.

Damn i must be blind, just visited them last Friday. I thought those were "clones" sitting at the main entrance. Time to hunt down by buddy. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry I'm not a pro anymore. I left the trade in the late 90's for a better career advancement. Even in those days, I won't want to be regarded as a pro, unless you make it into Nat Geo. To me its just a job.
I still carry 2 bodies, 5 lenses, 2 flashguns and few battery packs to most of my out-of-country expeditions. Old habits die hard

Last edited:

headophile

Enlightened
A not-so-long-range shot. But I find it amazing you can see them beam even when it's so bright.

olight1.jpg

And an image of the SR90 lighting up a building. Note that the picture has been colour corrected, and tweaked slightly. The CRI of the SR90 is not that fantastic, and the tint is certainly blue and not this warm.
olight2.jpg

is that a fenix tk30 right beside the sr90 in the first pic?

chenko

Enlightened
Wow, fantastic pictures! Those pics sure would make any flashaholic go drool! :)

heng84

Newly Enlightened
insanely bright!! thanks but wow changi hospital!!! hope u dont shine something else you dont want to see hahahha:broke:

chanjyj

Enlightened
is that a fenix tk30 right beside the sr90 in the first pic?

Yep. the full line up in the 1st pic is
1. 200mw laser
2. Fenix TK10
3. Jetbeam RRT2 Raptor
4. Fenix TA21
5. Olight M30
6. Fenix TK30
7. Olight SR90

As you can see, I have an affinity with Fenix's (LD01 not in this pic, for obvious reasons). I suppose it was because I once tested a light for them, and also due to the fact that NONE of my lights survived my extensive torture except the Fenixes. And for my extreme water torture tests that go past IPX7 standards, only the Fenixes survive.

I'd suppose you notice I like either full-blooded throwers or full-flooders. Nothing in-between except the TA21.

If you look at the 2nd pic, it's also a TK30 hanging off my belt in a D-Cell Maglite Holster (http://home-and-garden.become.co.uk/maglite-dcell-maglite-holster--compare-prices--sc331055164). TA21 is clipped to my pocket but I don't think you can discern it unless you know it's shape VERY well.

chanjyj

Enlightened
insanely bright!! thanks but wow changi hospital!!! hope u dont shine something else you dont want to see hahahha:broke:

Erm. I did. Long story. Saw some "lights" in there and decided to go investigate (as my girlfriend says, don't ever dare me to do something because I'll go and do it :D)

Turns out "it" was the.. police :eek:oo:
Should have ran away. Unless I turned off the Olight they were effectively blind (I'm serious) :whistle:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Wow, fantastic pictures! Those pics sure would make any flashaholic go drool! :)

One of this days I'll take out some time to go shooting with some of my other lights. For now, this tidbit (no Olight SR90 inside, but Olight M30 is):

12.jpg

headophile

Enlightened
Yep. the full line up in the 1st pic is
1. 200mw laser
2. Fenix TK10
3. Jetbeam RRT2 Raptor
4. Fenix TA21
5. Olight M30
6. Fenix TK30
7. Olight SR90

As you can see, I have an affinity with Fenix's (LD01 not in this pic, for obvious reasons). I suppose it was because I once tested a light for them, and also due to the fact that NONE of my lights survived my extensive torture except the Fenixes. And for my extreme water torture tests that go past IPX7 standards, only the Fenixes survive.

I'd suppose you notice I like either full-blooded throwers or full-flooders. Nothing in-between except the TA21.

If you look at the 2nd pic, it's also a TK30 hanging off my belt in a D-Cell Maglite Holster (http://home-and-garden.become.co.uk/maglite-dcell-maglite-holster--compare-prices--sc331055164). TA21 is clipped to my pocket but I don't think you can discern it unless you know it's shape VERY well.

ah, that's great :)

always wanted to see the tk40/30 side by side with the sr90. the more i see of the sr90, the more i want one.

excellent pics!

chanjyj

Enlightened
ah, that's great :)

always wanted to see the tk40/30 side by side with the sr90. the more i see of the sr90, the more i want one.

excellent pics!

Eh. that ain't fair comparison at all :poke:
Anyway for record's sake the TK30/40 aren't really throwers. The Olight SR90 is a dedicated thrower (well, to me at least). Different purposes for all intents.

However in the "real world" I do admit that the spill the SR90 puts out, thrower or not, is equal to the "flood" of the TK30/40 due to the sheer amount of light it puts out. Whether you want to carry that gigamonster around with you is another question though..

headophile

Enlightened
Eh. that ain't fair comparison at all :poke:
Anyway for record's sake the TK30/40 aren't really throwers. The Olight SR90 is a dedicated thrower (well, to me at least). Different purposes for all intents.

However in the "real world" I do admit that the spill the SR90 puts out, thrower or not, is equal to the "flood" of the TK30/40 due to the sheer amount of light it puts out. Whether you want to carry that gigamonster around with you is another question though..

ah, yes, i'm aware they're not in the same class of lights hehe. i have a tk40 and i just wanted to gauge visually how the sr90 is different in terms of brightness and beam profile.