Flashaholics UNITE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
Fellow Flashaholics, before I request your assistance I need to give you a backdrop on what you are about to see.

I have a hobby of airsoft. No, not the Airsoft guns one buys at Wal-Mart, the behind the scenes expensive-spend-hundreds-of-dollars-on-gear-alone kind of Airsoft.

Because of this I belong on another forum, and recently a thread had been made concerning "MTE flashlights" and I question it's credibility. I am not sure if he is spam or if his intentions mean well.

Here is the link, I would appreciate any feedback. If you've heard of this brand of flashlight, if you think its just spam or if you think I'm being overcritical on this guy, let me know.

http://miairsoft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=33431

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The gregmcgeeen site a legit USA-based importer of the Chinese MTE brand. from all that I can tell Greg stands behind his product 100%.
The MTE lights I have handled were OK quality... just your typical DX/KD kind of stuff. Nothing to get excited about. I have not seen any factual data to lead me to believe the MTE lights sold on his site are any different than the ones found elsewhere on the www.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Fellow Flashaholics, before I request your assistance I need to give you a backdrop on what you are about to see.

I have a hobby of airsoft. No, not the Airsoft guns one buys at Wal-Mart, the behind the scenes expensive-spend-hundreds-of-dollars-on-gear-alone kind of Airsoft.

Because of this I belong on another forum, and recently a thread had been made concerning "MTE flashlights" and I question it's credibility. I am not sure if he is spam or if his intentions mean well.

Here is the link, I would appreciate any feedback. If you've heard of this brand of flashlight, if you think its just spam or if you think I'm being overcritical on this guy, let me know.

http://miairsoft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=33431

Sheesh, what's wrong with a Chinese flashlight for airsoft? Sure, it's not *the best* but it's not like he's gonna fight wars with it, he's gonna play soldier so who cares?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sheesh, what's wrong with a Chinese flashlight for airsoft? Sure, it's not *the best* but it's not like he's gonna fight wars with it, he's gonna play soldier so who cares?

The OP asked for an opinion and I gave it. Mods please edit or delete my post if I have violated any rules. thanks:eek:... no harm done I hope.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sheesh, why do you have to criticize someone for giving the OP what he was asking for?? And since he is not "gonna fight wars", why worry about quality....right?

jellydonut

Enlightened
Guys, I was responding to the OP.:ohgeez:I'm sorry for any confusion, I didn't mean to criticize the reply. My post was aimed at the thread linked.

Edited a quote into the old post to make it more clear.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to be aware of is that there have been reports by CPF members of counterfeit MTE lights being sold from vendors in China. I'm not talking about clone lights like in that other thread in the General Flashlight Discussion forum, but actual fake MTE lights that have MTE labeling on them but were not made by MTE.

That seller, Greg McGee, did not sell the fake ones though.

chef4850

Enlightened
this doesn't have to do with lights. BUT

If possible could you point me in the right direction (your airsoft site).

I have a RAP AR-15 I am trying to unload. Mint never used.

I appologize to the MODS if this is out of line.

Chef

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
so let me get this straight, there are fake Chinese lights?
They take an already cheap light and clone it?:fail:

I'll stick with surefire, even on my paintball marker.
SF E1b, SF M78 clip and SF UE 07
8xifll.jpg

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
... the behind the scenes expensive-spend-hundreds-of-dollars-on-gear-alone kind of Airsoft. ...
Why are you looking at MTE when you are expensive-spend-hundreds-of-dollars-on-gear-alone kind of guy. You should be looking at Surefire.

My experiences with MTE:

They made a 1AA Fenix L1P clone but with a 2X brighter SSC-P4 emitter for 1/3 the price of of the L1P. Well made torch I and many others recommended. A year after a number of CPF members reported they were receiving faulty units. Nobody recommended them after that. I don't see that model listed at DX any more.

I bought an MTE P7 torch. They were the 1st to come out with one. The UI was supposed to be:
Off-On less than 1 sec go to next mode.
Off-On more than 3 sec come back in same mode (memory).
I go click-click comes back in same mode. Have to tap the button once real fast to go to next mode. Imagine me stuck in strobe the first evening unable to get out of that mode.
Another member with the same torch had to wait 10 seconds for the circuit to charge up before he can switch modes or engage memory.
One light too fast, another too slow.
I had plenty of Fenix, Ultrafire C3, Dereelight in which click-click goes to next mode, click-1-2-3-click goes back to default or returns in the same mode (depends on UI design) with no problems.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the feedback guys.

But see the poster on the thread I linked, insists that he knows the guy that sells legit MTE flashlights, not the supposed clone ones on dealextreme, etc.

You guys are absolutely right, I wasn't looking to buy these flashlights, just curious if maybe he had some value in his statements concerning what I said above.

Edit: LocoBoy, have you tried the ones that aren't counterfeit or do you know anyone that has? I just find it strange that this guy would say these flashlights are up there with SF and all the other top brands.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
This has provoked ill-tempered and derogatory comments, and it doesn't belong here anyway. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.