Using calling card to call from Austraila to US?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK a friend of mine is travelling to Australia and I giving her my AT&T calling to take with her. Tonight I called customer service to get the details on how to use the card to call from Australia to the US and although I got the gist of what to do, her accent was so heavy and it took so long to get the general details, I didn't ask for finer points. Wonder if anybody has actually done this. OK, she said there are two carriers in Austrailia, Optus and Telstra. You must identify which carrier you are using and then number depending on the carrier, dial a 1-800 number that is similar to US only three last digits, not four. Then you dial the 1-800 number on the calling card, minus the one. Sounds simple but questions?

1. How do you identify the carrier?
2. Is there anything you have to do first before dialing the carrier 1-800 number?
3. After dialing the carrier 1-800 number do you immediately dial the card 1-800 number minus the 1 or do you wait for further instructions before dialing that number?
4. After dialing the card 800 number I assume you then proceed as if in the US making a state to state call?
5. Am I missing anything?

The reason I am trying to get all the details is that the person I'm giving this to is very nervous about the whole thing and I want to try to get the exact procedure so she won't be thrown any curve balls when attempting to use it.

A diverse subject I know but the diverse knowledge in this forum is amazing.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Now I'm not an Australian, but I have been studying here for a while. As far as I know, you should not have to identify a carrier when you dial.

The 1800 number is a free call, it can be dialed on all public phones without putting money in, works on normal land lines also without cost.

After you pick up the handset, you press 1-8-0-0-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-... whatever the rest is. Then there should be prompts on what to press next, I'd hope so anyway.

-YC

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They gave me two 800 numbers, one for each carrier and said you had to know which carrier you were using to dial the appropriate one.

yclo

Flashaholic*
What's the website?
Better yet, PM me the numbers and I'll try dialing them now. Just don't send me the card number, only the phone number.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the front on the Telstra Directories, and on many tourist documents you will find the access number for the Country Direct services. These are numbers that if you call them, will connect you directly to the carier
of your choice in that Country. IIRC, there are numbers for MCI, Spring, AT&T and several others. Australian 800 numbers are generally 6 digits, not seven.
In any case, two numbers for AT&T

1 800 881011 from a Telstra phone
If that doesn't work, you may be connect via Optus (the secondary carrier), in which case the access number is
1 800 551 155

Here is what AT&T says about how to do it.

Step 1. Dial the AT&T access number provided above.
Step 2. An AT&T Operator or English-language voice prompt will ask you for the telephone number you are calling.
For calls to the U.S., dial the area code and 7-digit number you are calling
For calls to other countries, dial 01, the country code, city code, and local number you are calling

Step 3. After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling Card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard® Visa,® American Express,® Discover/Novus,® or Diners Club® Cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
Step 4. If you need assistance or wish to call collect, press zero or stay on the line and an AT&T Operator will assist you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some hotels block these access number as a way to boost revenue, however in most countries if you
ask them to connect you, they have too. Some also impose large surcharges on such calls. They cost
the hotel nothing, so it pure greed at work (and I have seen those access charge get past $30 for a single
call in some parts of the world).

If you dial that number, you will receive instructions about what to do next, but generally it is dial the number you
want to call, and when you hear the 'gong' punch in your calling card number.

As a practical matter, such calls are pretty dear, they incur high set up charges, so buying a local
prepaid card is often much less expensive. Via the Calling card you are probably looking at more than
$1 per minute, with a prepaid, it is more like 25 cents a minutes or less... <font color="purple"> </font>

yclo

Flashaholic*
PM received.

Just tried both the Optus and Telstra, they both work from home (Telstra). And I dare to say that they will both work on a public phone.

As Matthew said, hotels might charge you for a free 1800 call so beware.

-YC

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the advice. Sounds easy enough and if have problems can at least contact AT&T easy enough. Now look at other question about voltage adapters.