Tomas

Banned
Turn Down the Lights
disco.gif

The party's over: when we turn up the lights, nature goes a little haywire
By Eric Scigliano

[ QUOTE ]
From the Article:
On March 31, 1880, the good people of Wabash, Indiana (population 320), launched a technological revolution. Atop the town's courthouse dome, they mounted two crossarms with a 3,000-candlepower carbon-arc bulb at both ends of each. They then fired up a threshing-machine steam engine to generate electricity, and at 8 p.m. sharp, flipped a switch. Sparks showered, and Wabash became the first electrically lit city in the world. "The strange, weird light, exceeded in power only by the sun, rendered the square as light as midday," one witness reported. "Men fell on their knees, groans were uttered at the sight, and many were dumb with amazement. We contemplated the new wonder of science as lightning brought down from the heavens."

A century and a quarter later, electric light turns night into day around the globe.
MORE ...

[/ QUOTE ]

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting, Tomas. It seems a damn shame that I have to drive to eastern Oregon or Montana to see the Milky Way that I grew up with (in Colorado). On a good night in Seattle, I might see a couple of hundred stars, maximum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif There's nothing like seeing a sky full of stars to put one's personal problems in perspective. Later.

Dan

Shag

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PercaDan said:
On a good night in Seattle, I might see a couple of hundred stars, maximum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is only when we don't have any clouds hanging around.

Shaun

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
And if you live downtown, that "couple of hundred" gets knocked down to "a few". Anything fainter than maybe magnitude -1 or magnitude 0 is out of the question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Latest posts