What happened to the 4Sevens G5??????

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
It will be ready when it is ready.

Only 4sevens knows when that is and they aren't talking (much).

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they dropped it in favor of the new Maelstroms. When the Cree XM LED hits the streets in a few months.... 4Sevens will announce a new line of lights and everybody will be asking "what ever happened to the Maelstroms?"

Xak

Enlightened
Google.

Bigger die, higher efficiency. 160 lm/watt at 350 mA, 110 lm/watt at 2 amps.

So, more of a floody type light like the XP-G? Is this an LED that needs a bigger host like the M30, or are these going to be plopped into 2x123 tac lights?

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's similar to the SST-50, only about 35% more output for the same current. The typical 2.8 Amp driven, SST-50 light will go from 750 OTE to over 1000 OTE with the XM LED.

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I saw a photo on a reviewers site of the G5 in a size comparison shot. Quite promptly the photo was removed but it seems that it's possible some version of the G5 may have been or may still be, in the hands of reviewers....

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...The XM has a bigger die? Not good for throw applications I would imagine. I haven't been too impressed by the XP-G lights for that reason as well. Brightness only impresses me to a certain point I guess and then throw distance takes over.

I'll wait until the CPF reviews come trickling in before making a final decision about replacing my beloved XR-E lights or not.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Hmmm...The XM has a bigger die? Not good for throw applications I would imagine. I haven't been too impressed by the XP-G lights for that reason as well. Brightness only impresses me to a certain point I guess and then throw distance takes over.---
My sentiments exactly. Small and floody or big and throwy seems to be the way things are going. Unfortunately, it appears that XP-E size dies have reached their efficiency limit. I hope i'm wrong about that but I'm glad that I stocked up on XR-E Fenixes and XP-E Quarks while I had the chance.

Brightnorm

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
It looks like a little birdy got loose a bit early on the 4sevens website....it's been caught but it left a few tracks. See the 4sevens subforum...

dr. quad

Newly Enlightened
yeah i think its actually on the 4sevens site.... they have it listed as 149.95. when its dropping..... who knows? maybe this is a pre-order that is about to open up.

Xak

Enlightened
My sentiments exactly. Small and floody or big and throwy seems to be the way things are going. Unfortunately, it appears that XP-E size dies have reached their efficiency limit. I hope i'm wrong about that but I'm glad that I stocked up on XR-E Fenixes and XP-E Quarks while I had the chance.

Brightnorm

The 2 XP-G lights I have are very floody, but then again, one is a AAA light and the other is a little CR2 Mini and they are supposed to be floody.

Anyhow, I'm super happy with my R2 Quarks and Olight M20s. Comparing beamshots on line and testimonials the R2s seem to throw better than the XP-G upgrades of these lights, and are almost as bright.

I do want a Quark Turbo WW someday, though. But, money is tight now and there are newer designs and LEDs about to come out soon. By the time they are out and all the bugs are worked out perhaps I'll buy a new light. Perhaps I may still want the Turbo WW and not something newer. Hope they will still be available.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Maybe they dropped it in favor of the new Maelstroms. When the Cree XM LED hits the streets in a few months.... 4Sevens will announce a new line of lights and everybody will be asking "what ever happened to the Maelstroms?"

If 4Sevens is smart, they are developing lights to utilize the Cree XM.
Think about it - with one 2200MaH 18650 you could have ~8 watts available (2.2 * 3.7 = 8.1 watts). The Cree website says "A cool white XM LED driven at 350 mA can produce 160 lumens at 160 lumens per watt."

8 watts * .350 amps = current draw of 2.8 amps, which the battery will support, which equals 1280 lumens. Now that would be a nice pocket light!

Someone please check my math...... Am I dreaming that you could actually have a 1280 lumen pocket light?

-

If 4Sevens is smart, they are developing lights to utilize the Cree XM.
Think about it - with one 2200MaH 18650 you could have ~8 watts available (2.2 * 3.7 = 8.1 watts). The Cree website says "A cool white XM LED driven at 350 mA can produce 160 lumens at 160 lumens per watt."

8 watts * .350 amps = current draw of 2.8 amps, which the battery will support, which equals 1280 lumens. Now that would be a nice pocket light!

Someone please check my math...... Am I dreaming that you could actually have a 1280 lumen pocket light?

-

The only problem is your efficiency gets lower as the current goes up. Combined with higher heat your OTF lumens would be much lower.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
By my calculations it'll be about 1020 at 2.8Amps. Cree says 2.1 Amps for 750 lumens. I'm basing my number on the efficiency gain over the SST-50 and applying that to 2.8Amps for my calculation.