How do you take a G2 clicky apart?

Gears

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2 and want to change the end cap. It looks different than all my other lights, no little holes to spin the switch out. So is there a way to take it apart? :thinking:

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah the SF twisties aren't really 'designed' to be disassembled. It can be done though. For example, if you want to install a McClicky switch in a Z41, you have to gut the tailcap first to get the new switch in. Here are the instructions for removing the guts for installing a McClicky. You should be able to use those for your G2 also. Installation instructions may not apply though depending on what you're doing with the tailcap afterward. Hope that is helpful! Post if you have problems.

Oh, and :welcome:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The main helper with these is heat. For 6P (z41) caps, dry heat is best (oven). For G caps, wet heat is better (boil). I'll be updating the instructions soon.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
1-Pull small -B spring out.
2-Firmly grasp aluminum "slug" with needle nose pliers and give it a firm TUG. Watch out for the little nail/rivet thing, keep that for re-assembly later.
3-Clamp a dime or penny in vise-grip pliers and use this as a tool to unscrew the black plastic retainer. Mine just unscrewed with a little force. I didn't need to heat mine, although other CPFers have reported needing heat treatment.

I have done this 2-3 times on each of my Z41 tailcaps. So its somewhat reversible. Although I imagine theres a limit to the numbers of times it can be repeated on the same switch. I had my M2 switch set up as a rev-clicky, and didn't like that at all so I switched it back to the OEM Z41. I upgraded my 6P tailcap with the Moddoo low resistance guts.

dscn6216.jpg

dscn2457.jpg

Last edited: