Buying new EDC

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am buying a new EDC kit, the main things on the 1st and the other half on the 15th, was hoping for some input on it. This is going to cover my lighting needs / first aid needs / survival kit all in one.

Lighting
Fenix TK12 R5
4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical for my fiance :cool:
about 20 lithium primaries (energizer, I trust them)
couple 4x cr123 battery carriers
ferro rod, quickclot/first aid kit, durarite notebook and
fisher space pen titanium nitrate coated (matches my skeletooL!)
Paracord for lanyards

and as a surprise gift to my fiance, I'm buying one of B@rts iceblue tritum
spheres and making a necklace out of it, mainly to avoid "You spent how much on flashlights!! I don't care if you got me one too!! oh... glowy jewelry.... :kiss:" At least thats how I hope it goes.....

on the 15th:
2 AW 18650's (2600mah)
18650 charger w/ dc cord
Pelican 1020 case w/ 24 battery insert
Photon ReX rechargable micro light

Any comments?

I'm buying all of this from Lighthound and Batteryjunction, with a few small things from Goinggear. If anyone knows any coupon codes for these sites for CPF members let me know! lovecpf

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
I made an account there and waited about three days but its still not letting me view it :sigh: Can anyone explain how to get activated or permission to view? This could be a problem when I try and order some tritium from b@rt too :mecry: Thats great that all three sites have discounts too!

BarryG

Enlightened
I think you have to make 2 or 3 posts in that forum to gain access to the thread. I think I made 2 posts but can't remember for sure.

Barry

entoptics

Enlightened
It may be 5 posts at CPFmarketplace to gain activation. There's a "Wine and Cheese" area that is good for "fluff" posts, though I don't encourage that personally.

I would suggest you check out the CR123 shootout comparison (don't have the link offhand, but it's a sticky in the battery section if I remember right). Supposedly, Titanium innovations and 4Sevens branded CR123 cells are every bit as good as anything else out there, and can be had for about half the price of SureFire and Energizer cells.

joe1512

Enlightened
Battery Junction - 5% off code: cpf2009
Lighthound.com - 2%off code: cpf (details, details) [the details specify you need stuff IN your basket and THEN do the coupon code. Make sure its lowercase]
Going Gear - 10% off coupon code: ggcpf10 & free domestic shipping for orders over $49

Not sure why people are acting like this is some big secret or something. The retailers want our business and thus provide coupon codes. Ive bought from all 3 of these retailers using these coupon codes and have been happy with all of them.

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks!! That should save me a bit. I wonder if there is sales tax when buying online?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.batteryjunction.com/Not sure why people are acting like this is some big secret or something.

I don't know why either. Some people are having problems viewing the discount coupon code thread for some reason. It used to be available to all CPF members to see, whether they had CPF Marketplace accounts or not. That isn't the case any more.

Azuryu,

Sales tax is not charged unless the mail order vendor is in the same state as the mailing address.

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Thats even better, I don't know where any of the places are located (i think all three are in the US) but im pretty sure they aren't in alabama. With all these coupon codes and no taxes I'm thinking I might have a few extra dollars for some more toys, long as I don't let the miss know..... :whistle:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of these vendor websites have a "Contact Us" page that will list their mailing address so you can be sure before you place your order. If they don't have an address listed, you can fill out the order form up until you type in your credit card number and almost always they will have the complete order totaled up at that point, including any taxes and shipping charges. Until you type in your credit card number, you won't be charged a penny.

joe1512

Enlightened
A few notes:

The sphere might go poorly for you. I see it happening like this:

you: Surprise!
her: OOh!!!!.......... What makes it glow?
you: Um.... its radioactive.
her: ...

Thats how my wife reacted to the thought of tiny tritium vials.

You sure you want the tactical for your fiancee? Those tend to come on accidently more. I like my itp A1 twisty. I got the stainless steel for the bling factor.

Finally, you might want to consider RCR123s if you plan on using the lights often. You can always top off the RCR123 whenever, as opposed to never knowing when your CR123 is going to poop out on you. Theoretically it is more cost effective. You are getting an 18650 charger anyways right, so it doesn't cost you anything extra except for a 20 cent aluminum spacer. It is also brighter due to higher voltage.

Just stuff to consider.

Last edited:

sfca

Enlightened
Hide your wallet:wave:
Here is a longer list of vendors so you can shop around a little:
Barry

Hi Barry,

The good deals forum is members only. As such maybe you should include a link rather then posting content from it..

Cheers!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
These new posting restrictions are discussed here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/276561

I don't think that it's mentioned in that thread, but those restrictions appear to also apply to simply viewing threads (like the discount codes one mentioned in this thread) and not just to posting in them or starting them.

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyones help and ideas, as far as the tritium goes, shes far more intelligent than you give her credit for. I merely told her it was beta radiation and the amount (close to 1ci) and she automatically said "oooh I would love it!" I'm a lucky guy. :cool: She knows tons about how it works and everthing, it doesn't bother her at all, in fact she thinks its quite romantic and looking forward to it.

As far as getting her the tactical version, she wants it so its easier to do s.o.s and morse code, and already has a planned carry method to reduce it flipping on (she asked about tail lock out and I wasn't sure, I know my fenix does though.)

Unfortunately for me the military screwed up my pay :fail: so I've been badgering the mess out of them to fix it :poke: They said I'll get my money tuesday, but I could of ordered it today :mecry: