advice on chosing a SST 50

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Im looking for a EDC light, size of a JB RRT-2 or so with a SST-50 emitter. I'm not very experienced in this so I dont know all the terminologies. It should be a decent built quality, I dont care about multiple modes but I would take it anyway. Something around 800 to 1000 lumens. :D A good mix of throw and flood. I have a JB RRT-1. Love its throw but head is too big to carry in pocket and not enough spill. So if you guys have something in mind along these lines please chime in. I'd appreciate.

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
Not that many Lumens - but Mac's EDC in 2.8 amp - suggest the warm over the cool. Review that Run4JC did in LED section I think showed ~500 lumens. I don't think you can get much more out of 1 imr 16340.

I'll look into it. How does its beam profile compare to MG P. Rocket's beam profile. This is the one I'm looking at right now but open for alternatives .

Kremer

Enlightened
I have the shiningbeam P-rocket. I don't think you are really going to get any better of a beam while still fitting in your pocket. it has plenty of spill and a big bright and even hotspot. I had mine out in the yard last night, the low is quite nice, medium is more than plenty, and high just made me laugh and wonder when the neighbors would start looking out the windows.

Bryan is coming out with a SST-50 version of the RX-1 soon, bigger reflector = tighter beam but not really EDC material, like your RRT-1.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll look into it. How does its beam profile compare to MG P. Rocket's beam profile. This is the one I'm looking at right now but open for alternatives .
The Mac SST50 doesn't compare to the P-rocket beam profile. The mac has no hot-spot at all. I sold mine within 24 hours of it's arrival. No throw to speak of. The P-rocket has the best throw of the pocket SST-50's. I have Naibender P60, Lumapower VX Ultra, P-rocket, and the quickly sold Mac SST..The VX Ultra has nearly identical throw as P-Rocket, despite P-Rocket having about 40% more power. Due to the larger VX reflector.

Last edited:

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
I have the shiningbeam P-rocket. I don't think you are really going to get any better of a beam while still fitting in your pocket. it has plenty of spill and a big bright and even hotspot. I had mine out in the yard last night, the low is quite nice, medium is more than plenty, and high just made me laugh and wonder when the neighbors would start looking out the windows.

The P-rocket has the best throw of the pocket SST-50's. I have Naibender P60, Lumapower VX Ultra, P-rocket, and the quickly sold Mac SST..The VX Ultra has nearly identical throw as P-Rocket, despite P-Rocket having about 40% more power. Due to the larger VX reflector.

I think i'll break my piggy bank for this lite soon. :grin2: lovecpf

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i'll break my piggy bank for this lite soon. :grin2: lovecpf

The P-rocket is a helluva deal for the price. Can't be upgraded though. The P60's or the Lumapower you can just change out the pill. Then again....the P-Rocket cost about the same as just a pill for the others.

Kremer

Enlightened
I just had a laugh looking at the die of the SST-50 in the p-rocket compared to the XR-E in my Jet-III ST. The SST is a monster.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Comparing my SST-50 lights the VX Ultra compared to the MG P-Rocket, very close. The p-rocket is more solid, but I love the feel of the VX Ultra too.

Is the P-Rocket really 40% more output compared to the VX-Ultra, I haven't had them outside in a real life situation, but I am liking the VX Ultra slightly more (They seem almost identical in output around the ~500 Lumen range) with the spill in the Lumapower being more useful.

Also have the Lumapwer Sig VX... nice enough light, but less carry use because I think going through the brightnesses, lowest to strobe is jarring, and the medium, high and turbo levels are too close together

Latest posts