How can I tell if my 10Ah NiMHs can deliver 9A?

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
Or rather, how can I tell what the maximum current is I can draw from my batteries?

For example: I have a 10 x 1.2v NiMH 10Ah battery pack. I want to drive some SST-90s at 9A using Der W.'s driver. Would this work OK and what's the calculation please?

And if I use a 10Ah Lead acid battery (at 12v), how do I tell if this will be OK with the same SST-90s and 9A driver?

Apologies for the noob question... :fail:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or rather, how can I tell what the maximum current is I can draw from my batteries?

For example: I have a 10 x 1.2v NiMH 10Ah battery pack. I want to drive some SST-90s at 9A using Der W.'s driver. Would this work OK and what's the calculation please?

And if I use a 10Ah Lead acid battery (at 12v), how do I tell if this will be OK with the same SST-90s and 9A driver?

yes it would be ok, ni mh d will pull 1 c no problem.
what calculation????
yes lead acid will work too.

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that.

No calculation - just when I discussed this before, somebody said to check that the batteries "could take it"...and I didn't know what they meant. I think you answered the question - 1C.

:thumbsup:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it would be ok, ni mh d will pull 1 c no problem.
what calculation????
yes lead acid will work too.
How did you conclude he will pull 1C?

He doesn't exactly say he's using NiMH D cells. Just that he has a 10x1.2V 10Ah battery pack. That could be 10 1Ah NiMH cells in parallel.

IMSabbel

Enlightened

He doesn't exactly say he's using NiMH D cells. Just that he has a 10x1.2V 10Ah battery pack. That could be 10 1Ah NiMH cells in parallel.

Then it would not be at 12V to replace a lead-acid battery, as the OP states...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's 10A split among 10 cells of perfect health, they'll supply the same current. Naturally, cell resistance will play a part in it, so that the sicker (higher internal resistance) cells will supply less current. That's why we measure output in C, the math works.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

With good quality batteries, usually you will be able to find performance specifications that may include discharge graphs at various loads. This would be the best way to determine if your batteries can operate with the load you envisage.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
If it's 10A split among 10 cells of perfect health, they'll supply the same current. Naturally, cell resistance will play a part in it, so that the sicker (higher internal resistance) cells will supply less current. That's why we measure output in C, the math works.

Ah, but you forget, that only works if they are wired parallel.... if wired in series, as they would have to be in order to reach 12v, it become a 1Ah capacity battery which means it would be a 9C draw....

My battery theory is a bit old and weak at this point but even a 10Ah Lead Acid battery would have a problem with a 9A draw me thinks, unless for a very short period of time. I'm thinking a gel cell here.....

Regards

Christian

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll expand fully because I was unclear. An SST-90 has a forward voltage of about 3.9v at 9 amps. If you have a 1.2v battery, you'll need a 9 amp boost driver to get to 3.9v. With a 100% efficient driver, this will take 3.25 times the current from the battery as goes through the SST90 (3.9v/1.2v), or 30 amps.

So with your 1.2v battery pack, you'll need at least 30 amps (driver efficiency is optimistically 85%, so 37.5 amps) to power this. And you'll have to buy a 9amp boost driver.

Most rechargeables are happy at 2C discharges - twice their amp-hour capacity in amps. If this battery is a 10 amp-hour pack made of 10 cells in parallel, then you could draw 20 amps at 1.2v safely. But at 1.2v you need 37 amps; the 20 amp load will give you about 5 amps at the emitter (20 amps times 85% efficiency divided by (3.9/1.2)v). I'm calculating based on watt-hours delivered, so amps*volts become the conversion.

Putting the batteries in series helps the voltage, but then you're trying to draw a lot of current. If you rip the battery pack open and rebuild it in series, you have 1 amp-hour at 10.8v. This will have to deliver 9A * (3.9v/10.8) = 3.25 amps - nearly twice the safe discharge level. And you'll need a buck driver rated at 9 amps (step down voltage).

If Vbatt is closer to Vled, you'll have higher efficiency. You basically need more battery for this to be safe. Lead-acid batteries have dramatically less available power when you put high loads on them. Converting 12v to 3.9v through (again, a 9 amp buck driver) lets you only draw about 3 amps from the battery, but that's not counting efficiency. This would work, but be heavy with low power density. Try to follow the 2C rule if you can.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then it would not be at 12V to replace a lead-acid battery, as the OP states...
Well, that's certainly a good point. I'm still not convinced the OP is using 10 x 10Ah D cells though. That would certainly be a large heavy battery pack. I've seen lots of people incorrectly multiply cell parameters together arriving at incorrect Ah (or mAh) numbers.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

op said
I have a 10 x 1.2v NiMH 10Ah battery pack

he never sid anything about 10 cells in parallel.

also using 100cells, when you can use 10, is not a good thing to do.

Last edited:
Mdemon, what battery type are you using? AA, C, D, or other? What is the spec Ah of each individual battery? You first post was a little difficult to interpret for many of us.