Flying car gets approved by the FAA

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
manufacturers found it impossible to fit the safety features - airbags, crumple zones and roll cage, for instance - that are required for road vehicles into that weight.

:crackup: I wonder why. I guess this means that until then, these will remain illegal in USA

with wings folded, at a respectable 30 miles per gallon.

:drool: That is pretty impressive

Well we have already made air-land vehicles, air-sea vehicles, and land-sea vehicles. Who's going to make the first Sea-air-land vehicle?

Last edited:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I've always wondered how that'd work with flying cars. If you approach a red light, do you just fly over the intersection? I think by the time flying cars are invented, they would be 100% computer controlled. Because it'd be hard to navigate the limitless skys and see all the other aircraft around you and avoid collisions.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now imagine those drivers that cut you off flying over your house.

Texting, spilling coffee, eating burgers... they have enough problem with 2 dimensions--think about 3!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Now imagine those drivers that cut you off flying over your house.

Texting, spilling coffee, eating burgers... they have enough problem with 2 dimensions--think about 3!

I agree Benthead. And a breathalyzer attachment should be mandatory on every vehicle. I do NOT want to put up with drunken commuters in the air!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree Benthead. And a breathalyzer attachment should be mandatory on every vehicle. I do NOT want to put up with drunken commuters in the air!

Avoid getting caught by the police on the highway: fly home after coming out of the bar :ohgeez:

I sure hope they have good transponders to monitor those who fly too low for radar. I think we have enough idiots on the road to prove this needs to be monitored properly, especially if you have the right to land on any private piece of land... think the neighbourgs are annoying with their lawnmower at 8:00 am on Sunday? I sure wouldn't want them to land near my house at 4:00 am (or anytime for that matter)

I think they should re-classify as something that needs way over 20 hours of flight. Sometimes I feel some people should be required a standard flying permit for driving a car and others a regular driver's licence to ride a bicycle or even walk... and now this! :thinking:

daimleramg

Banned
think the neighbourgs are annoying with their lawnmower at 8:00 am on Sunday? I sure wouldn't want them to land near my house at 4:00 am (or anytime for that matter)

Can you show me where the there is alteast 1/3 of a mile(it would need atleast 1-1.5 miles buffer zone incase) landing strip near your house? Because that kind of car/airplane would not be allowed to land on streets. Obviously they would have to land within the airport and drive to where it wants to go.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you show me where the there is alteast 1/3 of a mile(it would need atleast 1-1.5 miles buffer zone incase) landing strip near your house? Because that kind of car/airplane would not be allowed to land on streets. Obviously they would have to land within the airport and drive to where it wants to go.

This would only apply if you live in a rural area, of course... I know a few people who could fit that on their land, but would likely have to fly right over the neighbour's house to land... I was mainly thinking of them when I wrote that... then again kids race in the streets, so I wouldn't be surprised a few people would be dumb enough to risk the electric lines once or twice...

daimleramg

Banned
This would only apply if you live in a rural area, of course... I know a few people who could fit that on their land, but would likely have to fly right over the neighbour's house to land...

This person you know that can fit a 1 mile runway on their land, I can imagine how big their land is. Now think of how big their neighbours land is must be atleast a 5 min drive bewteen the two houses? How much land is in between the two houses and do you really think that little car/plane will be so loud it would bother neighbours so far apart?

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This is not really a flying car along the lines of the Moller, but more like a plane you can drive to the airport. There really aren't any public streets where this could legally take off. Once the wings are opened, it exceeds the maximum legal vehicle width by a large margin.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
This doesn't make all that much sense to me at first glance. For the price of this plane you could get a Cessna 172 and a real car, or a light sport aircraft and a real car (if you don't want to take the time to get a full pilot's license).

Planes need to be checked before takeoff, because a failure in the air means you crash your plane, unlike in a car, where you can pull over to the side of the road. I would want to keep my plane well off the roads to keep it away from foreign materials entering in vital areas (like rocks) or hitting control surfaces and messing them up.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This person you know that can fit a 1 mile runway on their land, I can imagine how big their land is. Now think of how big their neighbours land is must be atleast a 5 min drive bewteen the two houses? How much land is in between the two houses and do you really think that little car/plane will be so loud it would bother neighbours so far apart?

I think there's a good 4-5 kilometers in between the houses there, so the landing strip fit. Then again, what would a famer need that plane for, since there is no traffic there and they don't have to go anywhere to work... I was mainly just thinking out loud... It wouldn't apply to many people.

Good point... I don't know how loud that plane would be. All I know is that I can sometimes hear the cessnas land on the river a half mile away.

Latest posts