Surefire G2L/KX4 Review: Pic Heavy

Cole07

Enlightened
I finally broke down and bought my first Surefire last week. And here is a review of it Take it easy on me because it my first ever review. So grap some popcorn and enjoy! :popcorn:

First things first, this thing feels like it could survive a nuclear blast. Its made of Nirtolon: a nylon and glass polymer. This may not be as tough as an aluminum 6PL, but it is not as heavy, doesn't scratch as easy, and will enable you to hold it in a super cold enviornment because it doesn't conduct thermal energy like a metal light would. The switch is your standard old "tactical style", press for momentary, twist for constant on with lock-out if you turn left.

Emitter: In Surefire's Shot Show 2010 video, they showed many of their new lights with a K2 TFFC LED in it. But it may come as a surprise to some of you, they aren't selling them on the market with a K2. Mine came with an SSC P4 like we have found out in my other thread about this light.

Surefire has a tendency to under rate their lights right? On the package, my G2L says 120 lumens. Well by comparing it to an iTP A3 EOS, rated at 80 lumens, there is a HUGE difference. Most people say it takes twice the amount of lumens to notice a difference in how bright the light is right? The iTP A3 has a fresh lithium primary. They come out of the package at 1.7 to 1.8 volts, so the iTP is actually runnning at at least 80 OTF lumens, while the Surefire is running at "120 lumens". I can almost guarantee that that it is twice as bright even runnning on slightly used cells. Here are pictures of the two beams.

101_9894.jpg

iTP A3 on high

101_9895.jpg

Surefire G2L

101_9896.jpg

G2L left, iTP A3 right

101_9897.jpg

-2.0 Exposure, G2L left, iTP right

101_9903.jpg

Control Shot

101_9905.jpg

iTP A3 High

101_9906.jpg

Surefire G2L

As you can see, the G2L is MUCH brighter. Of course it is kind of unfiar to compare a 1x AAA light to a 2x CR123A light, but remember our CPF philosophy of twice the light= only a little brighter? And the G2L's batteries are slightly used too. I don't have any others yet, but the iTP is running of that fresh lithium primary.

Now for some beauty shots. :naughty:

101_9909.jpg

101_9910.jpg

101_9911.jpg

101_9912.jpg

Looks like they don't want you guys to use aftermarket drop-ins anymore because they emitter/reflector assembly is stuck in there. To bad. :sigh:

101_9913.jpg

The package also states a 2 hour tactical level runtime, and then output drops below 50 lumens. But, they say this even for their 200 lumens lights that also run 2x CR123A batteries. So I am thinking that its more than just a measly two hours. I mean come on, I don't even think they make an emitter that inefficient anymore. (but maybe I'm wrong) :p

Here are some more beam shots comparing it to a Terralux TLE6EX SSC P4 drop-in in a 5D cell Maglite and a Rebel 2x AA multimode MiniMag. G2L is always on the left. First picture is +1 exposure and second is -2.0 exposure. Terralux first, MiniMag second.

101_9914.jpg

101_9915.jpg

101_9916.jpg

101_9917.jpg

This light has the most spill out of any of mine. I have a small collection BTW. It is also the brightest in terms of lumens output by far, but not in lux. My Rebel Maglite 3D is my real thrower. I am guessing about 160 lumens for this Surefire. Just a guess don't hate me if you think I'm wrong because I still could be. I wish I had a Malkoff M60L light to compare it to because I'm think they would be about the same. But I don't have one. :mecry:

What I like: Bright, brightest of my lights. Bulletproof. Light weight. Throws very well, almost as far as my Terralux 5D mag. Has very bright and useable spill that extends out to the edges very far.

What I dislike: No longer P60 compatible. Maybe if you gut the bezel, but this is no longer a simple drop-in light. My tailcap is faulty. Sometimes it flickers, and it is loose on the end of my light when I try to wiggle it (there is play in the end cap). I may have to call Surefire and see what they say about it and see what it costs to get a new cap.

I would recommend a light like this to everyone because I think they would love it. And $69 for a Surefire isn't to bad.:naughty:

I will be trying to do outdoor beamshots later tonight because they didn't work well last night. So stay tuned for those. Hope you like my review! :grin2:

EDIT*: I tried doing outdoor shots tonight from about 50 feet, but to my dismay my camera just doesn't capture light very well. I turned it to night shot and it still didn't want to capture any of the spill on any of my lights. But let me assure you it won't dissappoint in throw. Its could be considered a short to maybe mid range thrower depending on your needs. I can shine it down the street 100+ yards and light up the neighbors front lawn and the side of their house. Sorry I couldn't get good beamshots.

Last edited:

sappyg

Enlightened
a very nice review.... thanks for that. great pics too.

a shame about the emitter but the light looks so good you may not need to resort to an after market drop in.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Nice work! :thumbsup:

If your tailcap is truly faulty, SF will more than likely send you a new one, no questions asked. At the very least, you won't have to pay for a new TC.

Cole07

Enlightened
But will it make a difference? And what if it ends up being the same as the old one with play and flickering every once in a while?

Cole07

Enlightened
I like the beam on mine. Perfect hotspot. No rings or artifacts. Of course thats expected out of a $69 Surefire I guess. :duh2:

cm_mtb

Enlightened
But will it make a difference? And what if it ends up being the same as the old one with play and flickering every once in a while?

If it is in fact the tailcap, it is highly unlikely that you would receive one with the same issue. SF extensively tests every product before they release it, and AFAIK, this is the same TC that has been serving reliably on thousands of G2's for years.

Can you further describe the conditions under which you experience the flickering? Is it when you have twisted the switch to constant on, or when you are using it in momentary more? Also, does the flickering occur when the light is moved, shaken, put down, etc.?

Regarding the play, it is normal for twisty switches to have a small amount of play when torqued perpendicular to the light body, unless the TC is tightened all the way in.

Cole07

Enlightened
I have not experienced flickering with constant on. Only on momentary, and when i twist it to a certain point to, it will blink just by twisting and go back off. Is that normal?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have not experienced flickering with constant on. Only on momentary, and when i twist it to a certain point to, it will blink just by twisting and go back off. Is that normal?
I think that might be a normal consequence of the slightly wider tolerance between Nitrolon components rather than aluminium.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Congratulations, very nice review, and your first!! Your pics turned out much clearer than in your other thread. I got a lot out of it. Wonder if you could show a pic of the back end of the head that might show how the reflector/light engine is connected to the head. Does it look like they just glued down a drop-in to a C series head, or does it look more solid than that?

Bill

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G2 does that as well (flicker and turn on while unscrewing the tailcap).

Depending on how I press the momentary button on the Z41 on my 6P, it also sometimes flickers.

Cole07

Enlightened
Congratulations, very nice review, and your first!! Your pics turned out much clearer than in your other thread. I got a lot out of it. Wonder if you could show a pic of the back end of the head that might show how the reflector/light engine is connected to the head. Does it look like they just glued down a drop-in to a C series head, or does it look more solid than that?

Bill

Doesn't seem to be glue in the inner workings. It definetly looks much more solid than that. It looks like somehow they fit the module over a lip inside of it. And it looks very tight. It looks like it might even be held in by the top of the threads acting as the lip. So I doubt you would jostle this baby loose, and you would have a hard time getting it out. Also I noticed that on the inside, and top part by the threads, there is some sort of grease or oil indicating that they lubed it to fit they module in maybe? Sounds logical to me but don't take my word for it.

Cole07

Enlightened
My G2 does that as well (flicker and turn on while unscrewing the tailcap).

Depending on how I press the momentary button on the Z41 on my 6P, it also sometimes flickers.

But mine does it just like a 1/4 turn before it goes to constant on....

csa

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics and review! Always good to hear other people's impressions on these.

Cole07

Enlightened
What do you guys think about my argument saying that its around 160 lumens? Do you think this could be legitimate?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If you remove the bezel ring and lens will the reflector and LED come out through the top perhaps?

I guestimate that is how they're assembling them. If you can get the LE out that way then the package can hopefully be modded!
Of course I also thought there was supposed to be a K2 in there.......:ohgeez:

Cole07

Enlightened
Maybe I have the stuff if you could describe how to do it for me. :twothumbs
I have never done anything like that. I do not want to do it if there is a possibilty of shorting out the emitter and frying it though. :eek: