JetBeam RRT-3 issues

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I purchased a Jetbeam RRT-3 on eBay about a 3 weeks ago. Bugoutusa was out of them, so I got one on eBay. I really like this thing. Today I have a major malfunction! The light will not turn on! :fail:

Now here are some things to consider.

1) I am using SF CR123A batteries (6 total) I tested every single one of them and they have proper charge. Powered up my SF M3 no problem.
I installed a new set which still won't turn on the light. :thinking:
2) I take very good care of this light, never drop it once, it's practically in
new condition. :twothumbs

So.. right now I am wonder if there is anyone out there having similar issues. I have already contacted Jetbeam's customer service via e-mail.
I don't know how their warranty service works, so if anyone have any information I would highly appreciated. :cool:

For example do I sent this light to china for repairs or is there a USA warranty location I can sent. How long should I expect the process to take? 1 week, 1 month etc.

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
try everything you can.

1)Clean the contact surface between butteries and host

2) Measure if you have any Voltage output from the host with the batteries installed proprly.

3) check the direction of the batteres.

4) If you have use 18650 just in case.

5) double check batteries measurement and cleaned surfaces and try last time to see.

If you have vontage on the host of the batteries then clean the host and the contact point on the switch and the head.

Then measure the switch. Maybe the switch is dead. I do not think that the electronics on the head have any problem.

Try to measure also the voltage without the tailcap switch. Current measurment here. If the light up then the switch is dead.

We wait for any good news.

Regards

vaughnsphotoart

Newly Enlightened
I've got the same problem with mine. I used it one evening to pick up my tools after working on my car. Turned it off, put it in my pack. Took it out a few days later at the campground and it was dead. Tried it with three different brands of 18650s, all of which checked out in other flashlights, and none worked. I made sure everything was screwed together tightly, made sure the batteries were in the carrier correctly. Nada. This light is only a few weeks old, never even dropped!

Luckily I bought mine through Bugoutgearusa, so I contacted Flavio and sent it back. He tested it... it would work briefly for him, but then shut off after a minute or two. His conclusion was that there was something wrong with the board. He said he would ship me a new one. Unfortunately, I see on his site that his batch from the supplier has been delayed. I've been without my RRT3 for a few weeks now.

I really hope these are isolated issues. Anyone have any input or experience? Am I correct that the RRT3 has a thermal protection circuit?

5horns

Newly Enlightened
I've got the same problem with mine. I used it one evening to pick up my tools after working on my car. Turned it off, put it in my pack. Took it out a few days later at the campground and it was dead. Tried it with three different brands of 18650s, all of which checked out in other flashlights, and none worked. I made sure everything was screwed together tightly, made sure the batteries were in the carrier correctly. Nada. This light is only a few weeks old, never even dropped!

Luckily I bought mine through Bugoutgearusa, so I contacted Flavio and sent it back. He tested it... it would work briefly for him, but then shut off after a minute or two. His conclusion was that there was something wrong with the board. He said he would ship me a new one. Unfortunately, I see on his site that his batch from the supplier has been delayed. I've been without my RRT3 for a few weeks now.

I really hope these are isolated issues. Anyone have any input or experience? Am I correct that the RRT3 has a thermal protection circuit?

I've had one on order with BugOutGear for a few weeks now and continue to wait patiently. There are some folks in another thread who are growing tired of the delays and want to blame Flavio for his way of doing business. I stand by my other post that if the delays are due to production issues, I would rather be patient than receive a defective unit.

Gentlemen, your current experiences add credibility to my viewpoint.

If the RRT-3 has become as popular as Flavio suggests, then perhaps production was ramped up too quickly and quality has been sacrificed. If so that would account for the delays and demonstrate JetBeam is acting responsibly. I am in manufacturing and know all too well it's better to be late on delivery, than ship out a defective product and have to deal with the consequences.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in manufacturing and know all too well it's better to be late on delivery, than ship out a defective product and have to deal with the consequences.

Never stopped JB before. The M2S was shipped out knowing full well the UI was mis-programmed. They re-wrote the manual instead to make it appear "it's supposed to be that way"

vaughnsphotoart

Newly Enlightened
Just to be clear, I've been very happy thus far with Bug Out Gear USA's handling of the problem, Flavio is a straight shooter. I just miss my Raptor.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
This is bad new indeed! :shakehead I tried everything Mr.A suggested, no dice. The light will not turn on:fail:

I am still waiting for JB to reply my e-mail, I am going to contact the eBay seller and see what he can do. This is really frustrating considered how much this light cost! :broke:

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
i really dont feel well. I dont like when a flashlight is not working even is not mine.

I feel the person how feels , like the flashlight is mine. I dont know what else to suggest you to do in order to get your flashlight in a working condition.

The flashlight cost a lot of money and now you need to contact JETBEAM to see what you need to do.

think positive.

Best wishes.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
i really dont feel well. I dont like when a flashlight is not working even is not mine.

I feel the person how feels , like the flashlight is mine. I dont know what else to suggest you to do in order to get your flashlight in a working condition.

The flashlight cost a lot of money and now you need to contact JETBEAM to see what you need to do.

think positive.

Best wishes.

I highly appreciate your concerns :twothumbs I hope JB return my email soon.
I am actually a bit disappointed to learn that JB ship out stuff knowing that there are defects. I paid $400+ for the light and mount.. :crazy: this is almost like paying the premium price for a SF light. I just hope their warranty service lives up to it's reputation. :candle:

Until then I got my Fenix TK45 and my SFs to keep me company:popcorn:

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
I understand, i also hope JB to give you a solution. Normally you get an answer in less than 12 hours.

This is very nice flashlight and highly recommended.

It is on my future plans also. But i cannot understand the problem. The only thing it comes in my mind is if the tailcap does or the host for the batteries does not make a good contact.

did you measure the host? did you measure current without the taicap?

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
I understand, i also hope JB to give you a solution. Normally you get an answer in less than 12 hours.

This is very nice flashlight and highly recommended.

It is on my future plans also. But i cannot understand the problem. The only thing it comes in my mind is if the tailcap does or the host for the batteries does not make a good contact.

did you measure the host? did you measure current without the taicap?

I don't have the tool to measure the host or the current. However I test it with my friend's tailcap from his RRT-3 (working condition for now, 1 week old) and the light still will not turn on. :whistle: I tried my tailcap on his light and his light turns on, I also tested my battery carrier and his light also turns on! I strongly believe the board must be defective in my light. :fail:

If there is a way to disassemble the head I think I maybe able to get someone to fix this. Unfortunately from the looks of it.. the light is not designed to be disassemble in such matter without possibly voiding warranty. :party: I am just making assumptions here, but I don't want to risk anything at the moment for a quick fix until JB gets back to me with more information.

Last edited:

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
no, do not touch the head.

I think something has to do with the ring or the electronic circuit board.

Wait for JB's reply.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
I got a response from JB, looks like I am sending it state side. They are out of RRT-3s so it is definitely going back to the factory for repairs. I am gonna be JETBeamless for a while.... :(

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
the good news are that can repair it and you are going to have it after a couple of weeks hopefully.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I guess I should think positive. :D Hopefully I get it back within a few weeks. I appreciate all the help and information, I learn a lot from this thread. :)

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
When it happens something wrong like this then it is needed to think positive.

Jetbeam will not allow for any flashlight, especially when is brand new, to not support it.

So for my self i guarantee that they will take care of it and will send you back when it get fixed.

It is very nice flashlight and second powerfull at this time. Many features and good looking.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Problem resolved. JETBeam USA offer excellent service, I am overall impressed with the quick turn around. :party:

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Resurrecting this thread from the dead... It now appears the light died again, this time after I resold it to someone else. :poof: I received the package on the 22nd,
and I basically unpacked it, put the battery in then test it. Repack and sent it back out.. The buyer is calling me out for selling him a dud. :(
I am so sad and frustrated right now it is beyond words......... :sssh:

Now excuse my rant :devil:, but this has got to be some kind of a sick joke! Words cannot describe my disappointment with JETBeam's production quality and I am very disgusted.
I mean like serious? Did something else went wrong while it was in transit? The tailcap was the original problem, now I don't even know what else went wrong. :faint:
Just to clear things up, I believe this is the manufacturer's fault, someone at the factory really drop the ball/light ...... I received a overall good and quick service from JETBeam USA,
but they are not the ones whom manufactured this faulty thingy.... errr..

Anyhow I am glad I used the money to buy SF M3LT :devil: instead, but now it looks like this thing is coming back to bite me in the butt! :fail:
UUGHH!!! I apologize in advance for sounding like a cry baby, but this really does SUCK!
HELP SOMEBODY! Please advice! I got a HUGE mess in my hands and it's party time!!:party:

Last edited:

vaughnsphotoart

Newly Enlightened
Believe it or not, I had a similar experience. Mine quit working as detailed above so I sent it back and got a replacement. When I tested the new unit (different flashlight) it began t smoke behind the lens, staining the reflector. After two failures in a row, I requested aa refund, which I have been told I'll receive (just sent it back tuesday).

Hearing that I'm not the only one who has had multiple failures, I question if this is a design problem.