advice on long running AA and AAA pocket lights

Gunwriter

Newly Enlightened
Hi, looking for some advice on on AA and AAA LED lights.
I'm looking for simplicity and long battery life, not lumens here.
25-30 lumens would be fine. Looking for a light I can stick in my
pocket and not have to worry about if its dead or not.

Any advice would be great. Would consider 2 or 3 cell AA model and 1 or 2 cell AAA model. Prefer just a simple on/off switch.

thanks!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA Tactical uses one AA and can be programmed so you can have two modes of super low to high. Mid mode is 22 lumens for six hours.

If it's only for occasional use, throw a lithium AA inside and don't worry about it leaking.

You can get a 2AA version that gives higher output and longer runtime.

There's a ton of lights in this class and you will get many good recommendations. I just simply love the Quark Tacticals for their UI.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A great simple 1 AAA light is the Maratac AAA. Also, the ITP A3 is another with the same performance in a slightly different body. Moving up to a 1 AA I'd recommend the Quark Mini AA.

Geoff

ASheep

Enlightened
For simple, value for money AA or AAA lights, you can't go past the iTP A2/A3 lights... as Flying Turtle said, moving up, the Quark AA is a bit bigger, and has more features/wider brightness range.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ on A2/A3 Itp,s

Another worth a look at for simple but effective light is the Streamlight Microstream 20 lumens and runs on a AAA.This light really loves Lithium primary and actually is a bit brighter.

I have used mine as EDC for 3 years now,dropped off car ramps,fallen into wet things around cars,never skips a beat and looks near enough new still.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered 2 Peak Eigers both at #0.5 level so they may be the longest running AAA lights ever. Once they arrive I will do my own AAA runtime test with the AAA contenders:

* Peak Eiger

* Illuminati

* Preon

* iTP EOS upgrade

* iTP H01 headlamp

* Maratac AAA

* Fenix E01

* Liteflux LF2

* Liteflux LF2XT

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do Beacon's suggestion of the #0.5 with the 2AAA body for even better runtime.

Darvis

Enlightened
Peak, no doubt about it. Go for the new level 0 Eiger in a medium beam and runtime will be through the roof.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered 2 Peak Eigers both at #0.5 level so they may be the longest running AAA lights ever. Once they arrive I will do my own AAA runtime test with the AAA contenders:

* Peak Eiger

* Illuminati

* Preon

* iTP EOS upgrade

* iTP H01 headlamp

* Maratac AAA

* Fenix E01

* Liteflux LF2

* Liteflux LF2XT

Beacon, what is the lumen output for a power level of .5? I ordered a El Capitan at #0(30mA draw 12mA drive at 3lm) & I can't wait.:)

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
I crunched the numbers from RMSK and got the following based on Curt's formula:

An Eiger medium cool #0 should run 18 hours to 50% with a 1.2v NIMH @ ~3 Lumens

The #1 would do 13hrs @ ~5.25 lumens

Keep in mind, this is coming from an English major, so forgive me if I got this wrong...

prof student

Enlightened

* Peak Eiger

* Illuminati

* Preon

* iTP EOS upgrade

* iTP H01 headlamp

* Maratac AAA

* Fenix E01

* Liteflux LF2

* Liteflux LF2XT

Curious as to why you didn't put down the Quark AA mini?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to throw another option out there, don't overlook the multi-mode Mini Maglite LED. It puts out about 25 lumens on high. It also has the advantage of being inexpensive and readily available at many brick-and-mortar retailers.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious as to why you didn't put down the Quark AA mini?

AAA run-time test, is the reason. If I opened it up to AA types then of course the Quark would be one of the best runtimes.

i haven't received my Eigers yet, so the test will have to wait. No idea how long it will be now but last call to Robyn she said it was in Epoxy stage.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to throw another option out there, don't overlook the multi-mode Mini Maglite LED. It puts out about 25 lumens on high. It also has the advantage of being inexpensive and readily available at many brick-and-mortar retailers.
Actually, the newest Rebel MMLED puts out around 70 lumens on high and around 25 lumens on low. I measured mine on NiMH cells on BC's sphere on high only.

An alternative would be to buy a cheap Mini-MagLite and put a Nite-Ize 3-LED drop-in into it. The amp draw on this drop-in is around 150mA and it will drain the cells down to 0.7V. The batteries will leak before you ever get them that low. If you look around you can get this combination for less than $16. How long will it last on 2 AAs? Don't know, but they seem to go on forever. The good thing is that the hosts are so cheap that if the batteries leak you can get a new host for it fairly cheaply.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the newest Rebel MMLED puts out around 70 lumens on high and around 25 lumens on low. I measured mine on NiMH cells on BC's sphere on high only.
Oh, O.K. I knew it put out 25 lumens, but for some reason I thought that was on high.