Camelbak H.A.W.G. or Ethos

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am debating which one of these I should get. The Ethos can be had for around $90 on Ebay, while the HAWG for $80.
The main difference is the Ethos has 2,100 cu. in for gear, while the HAWG has 1,020cu. in. for gear. Both are 100oz, and both the '03 models have the most of the same features. Anyone have experiences with these? Did you get a smaller Camelbak and wish you had a larger one?

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
On a related side note, I went to SF on Wednesday and picked up an order at Will Call. I've done this before and that's not what is perplexing.

In the box were three non-purchased items: 2003 catalog, the tactical magazine and a brochure on black/tactical Camelbacks. The Camelback material didn't have SF anywhere on it and that's why it baffled me.

The first two I can understand but Camelback info? Any guesses?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the H.A.W.G.. It's the best hydration pack I've seen. It's flow through back panel is superb. Very comfortable and cool. The pack balances nicely on your hips when the hipbelt is tightened. The bungee cord at the bottom allows me to bring a blanket on trips, freeing up space in my pack (I actually use one of those Coleman ponchos with the fleece lining - perfect for a picnic).

You may not need as much space as you think. I am able to fit a 12 can Igloo cooler inside the main compartment, converting the whole interior to a cooler. I forgot the name of this cooler, but it's virtually uninsulated, and rolls up like a dry bag. A cooler inside the pack doesn't really need to be insulated, since stuff stays quite cool. This is great for picnics also, or for when you just want to bring a fair amount of food. My alcohol stove still fits inside the main compartment on top of the cooler, as long as it's not completely full.

In the smaller compartment, I am able to fit utensils, condiments, etc., a flashlight, a headlamp, and a small towel, and there's still more room. The outer mesh compartment holds a 16oz Lexan Nalgene bottle - excellent for coffee, or to drink water out of. I don't like to drink directly out of the hose. I prefer to take big gulps, and don't like water as cold as ice.

It's also possible to wrap the upper compression strap around your car passenger seat headrest, so that the pack is held against the passenger seat, and won't move if you slam on the breaks. So it adapts to a car nicely, too.

I am very happy with mine, and can't recommend it enough.

Darkaway

Enlightened
I concur with Lux. If you want to carry more junk than the
H.A.W.G. will hold on the inside, just strap the extra stuff on the outside.

TheBeam

Enlightened
You might want to check out this backpack at R.E.I.. It's a Jansport Odyssey. It does not come with a hydration bag, but it does have a place to hold one up to 4 liters. This thing can hold 2,350 cu in of flashlights. The best feature of this is the shoulder straps. They are have a kind of gel padding on them. I loaded it up with 15lbs. of weights they had available and it was very comfortable espescially when compared to the other backpacks weighted down.

I know you were asking about those other 2 bags, but if you try this you might change your mind.

Darell

Flashaholic
After looking at similar models, I ended up with the Blowfish. I often carry minimal gear, but sometimes carry a lot. This one allows both, and when it is not fully, it zips closed pretty tight. If I lost it, I'd but another in a heartbeat. I like it THAT much.

bigcozy

Enlightened
Update us on what you buy. I am in the market for a 70 + ounce system with maximum storage space for my motorcycle.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have the BlackHawk Tactician. Picked it up at SS2002 for $60 (a good deal I believe). The padding for the Hydration bag keeps water very cold all day which is great. I also like the base that is made of this waterproof, hard-wearing stuff that is waterproof and hard-wearing.
Another cool feature is the pull-out waterproof cover.

My next rucksack will be an Eagle with Camelbak though. Not yet decided which...

Good thread - useful information. Thanks!

Al

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Darell mentioned, and as I concurred on another thread, Blowfish is also excellent, although it's a bit smaller. In my case, I tend to picnic a lot, so I need more room for food.

One other thing you can do with a hydration pack (if it isn't too big) is combine it with a backpack. I have a minimalist backpack (Kelty Haiku), with no pockets or compartments to speak of (which makes it light). But I don't care, because all the little stuff goes in the HAWG, which goes in the Haiku.

This way, when I don't need to be walking around with a sleeping bag, tent etc., I simply "shell out" of the Haiku, and carry the HAWG. The 3L reservoir can simply be transplanted from either the HAWG or the hydration sleeve on the Haiku, so regardless of whichever one is strapped to my back, the water is held right up against my back where it belongs.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you guys haven't seen the 03 models I suggest you check them out in person. The back panel is very well designed, there are about 6 raised mesh block type things, that keep keeps a layer of air between your back and the back of the Camelbak. The sternum strap and waist stabilizer is also a very cool feature. I am leaning towards the Rim Runner, about 700 more cubic inches than the HAWG and around the same price of a Blowfish.

Darell

Flashaholic
The BlowFish is, I believe, one of the first of the new series that you're talking about. It has the new features like the back panel, etc. Really, the only thing I'd improve on it is to add TWO zipper heads to the small pouch. As it is now, you have to zip the one all the way around from one side to the other. Small inconvenience, but still would have been handier.

Yeah, if you typically need lots of cargo area, the BlowFish might not be for you. I found it to be the best compromise though, and fantastic for day-trip travelling. For a month it acted as our diaper bag through China, and was fantastic. Wore it every day in 90+ degree heat and 95+ % humidity. I have the sweat stains to prove it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigcozy

Enlightened
I am leaning toward the Rim Runner, but I don't have a local place to look at one. Campmor.com has a sale on them for $69.99 if anyone is intersted. Blowfish is $59.96, both are probably 02 models, and campmor does notate that some models are 03's.

I took a four hour motorcycle ride today, 94 degrees heavy humidity. I sucked my old 40 oz Camelback dry twice, some of that was ice that didn't melt the first re-filling. Considering I wasn't having to pedal or walk, I am now thinking a 100 oz resevoir makes more sense. I want to be able to carry the water plus my usual emergency kit for long rides and a little food.

Please keep updating with info and personal experience.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked out Campmor's website and noticed they had a 2002 Model HAWG for $40.00, the only thing is that they only have it in a orange mango color. Great price though. Seems to have most if not all of the same features as the 03 model.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
A few days ago I purchased the HAWG. I used it yesterday and it is a great hydropack.

I filled it 2/3 cold water and 1/3 ice, carried it all day at the San Diego Zoo and the water stayed cold/cool.

There is plenty of room and it would be great for day hikes, geocaching or bike riding.

I looked at the other models but this one is just right.

Highly recommended.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved my Rim Runner yesterday, plenty of room inside, also added a Comm Pocket to my order. Just tried it on with a full resevoir, the sternum strap and waist belt are a nice addition. Just the right size for a day long hike, might be too big for taking to the zoo. Will be testing it out at the Flashoholic get together in Sequoia.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYOTATRK said:
I've been using my Camelbak for a while and drying it is a PITA. Instead of buying the $7 dryer, do you guys use anything around the house to dry the CB reservoir?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take off the bite valve and hang the bag on the face of a small hunter floor that has a wire case. The air inflates the bag and blows out (very, very softly) from the hose. 3 hours later it's 100% dry.