Calling all Cyclists

LeopoldB

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I need your help.
I'm riding in the 24 hours of adrenaline bike race next weekend and I need light.
I can't afford (workplace-challenged right now) to buy some fancy bike specific light but I'm pretty handy (good thing, cause women don't find me handsome!)
What homemade lights have you guys created that I might be able to emulate. I'm even into pulling the heads off standard lights and duct taping them on with wires leading to a waterbottle filled with batteries. In that case, what combo of bulb/head/battery works?
Cheers and TIA,

LeopoldB

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
You can take a look at a 5 watt luxeon I build a few months back if you want. I build it for about 75 bucks and I've used it for about 50 hours now - works well.

Here

Darell

Flashaholic
Al - the links to the picture are busted again! Don't know what's up, but I'd sure like to see them! Always looking for interesting bike light ideas...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leopold,
You want very bright light with good throw to last ~10 hours? Elektrolumens Blaster VI and run wires to 5 D cells will do it. The 30mm optics have great throw and the 5 watt Luxeon really lights up the road. When you are done with the race, you can run it on 6AA batteries for a lighter combo for regular riding. Or, you can make pit stops every 2 or 3 hours for more AA batteries. If you want the 5D version, he makes that also (Blaster V)
I am messing around with a 1.6 watt (R2H Luxeon overdriven with a 500mA regulator) It will use Wayne's optics and will last 15 hours on two D cells. Good luck on your ride, I am preparing for the Hotter N Hell 100 in two weeks myself.