I am looking for two EDC key chain flashlights

lovenhim

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I am in the market for two EDC keychain or pocket sized flashlights. One is for my wife and the other is for myself. They will be used in the "when ever I need it" type of environment rather than a must have for a job. I just found the checklist so i will use it here. I am legally blind (visually impaired) and I am on a fixed income. I am looking for value for the money, bang for the buck and quality, something that will last.

My needs/wants:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Less than $25. (preferred)
__X__Less than $50. (
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell we what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

_X___Keychain size.
_X___Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X___LED (warm is preferred)
____Incandescent
____HID

6) Manufacturer:

_X___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this option can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_X___I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
_X___I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
_X___I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
_X___I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I walk ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_X___Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_X___Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_X___30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
_X___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (twist head to tighten, and the light will stay on until head is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
_X___I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X___A simple on-off is fine for me.
_X___I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X___Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (hard anodized) (this is the most common for today's flashlights).
_X___Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
_X___Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
_X___Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Now for my wife in a pink, purple, or blue color:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_X___I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X___Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell we what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_X___I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

_X___Keychain size.
_X___Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X___LED
____Incandescent
____HID

6) Manufacturer:

_X___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this option can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_X___I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
_X___I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
_X___I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

_X___I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
_X___I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I walk ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_X___Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_X___Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_X___30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
_X___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (twist head to tighten, and the light will stay on until head is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
_X___I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X___A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X___Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (hard anodized) (this is the most common for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
__X__Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
__X__Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Thank you all for the help. :) It is hard for me to go out and look at flashlights because of my eyesite and I know that folks on this forum know what they are doing. :)

joe1512

Enlightened
I recommend the itp A series of lights.

An itp A3 EoS upgrade version has a very nice beam, 3 modes, twisty which won't come on in your pocket accidently, and works great as a keychain light. It is very lightweight, about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. It is a well known light.
If using it often, use a Sanyo Eneloop AAA and recharge as needed.
It is 20 bucks, minus 10% discount with ggcpf2010 code (i think)

An energizer L92 ultimate lithium is an option if you are only using it occasionally. It is long lasting, works in the cold, and very light weight.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=255

--------
If you feel like you need more output, then the A1 is a good choice. It does require SPECIALTY BATTERIES (CR123) though which you would need to learn how to take care of.

It is capable of 200 lumens! 3 modes, similar to the A3 except a bit shorter and a lot fatter and thus heavier with better runtime per lumen.
Still, I use the A1 on my keychain with an RCR123 battery without difficulty.
This one is 25 bucks, BUT you have to buy a decent Protected 16340/RCR123 battery as well as a charger which you won't have. This increases the effective cost.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=372

===========

Finally, an 1xAA option is the itp A2. Same brightness as the A3 except with twice the runtime. A bit longer and fatter, but still quite small.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=373

===========

Similar lights exist from other makers, but itp is the most cost effective. You gain a more advanced user interface and a slight build quality boost I suppose, but they are generally twice the money.

examples:
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_18&products_id=909
Solid AA light with 50% brighter relative to the itp A2.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ti-illuminati-ca1.html
A titanium lightweight AAA that is about 40% brighter than the itpA3 at a decent cost-point. (well, for titanium anyways)

Last edited:

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
Based on your needs/budget, I'd suggest:

For you--Quark mini AA or 123, depending on your battery preference. Warm tint is available now, neutral will be available 7/2. $37 (before discount).

For the Mrs.--iTP EOS A3. Comes in gold, red, blue, purple or black. Runs on AAA. @ $21 (before discount).

You should be able to get both delivered to your door for $50-55.

Good luck in your search.

Flint

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the itp A series of lights.

An itp A3 EoS upgrade version has a very nice beam, 3 modes, twisty which won't come on in your pocket accidently, and works great as a keychain light. It is very lightweight, about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. It is a well known light.
If using it often, use a Sanyo Eneloop AAA and recharge as needed.
It is 20 bucks, minus 10% discount with ggcpf2010 code (i think)

An energizer L92 ultimate lithium is an option if you are only using it occasionally. It is long lasting, works in the cold, and very light weight.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=255

--------
If you feel like you need more output, then the A1 is a good choice. It does require SPECIALTY BATTERIES (CR123) though which you would need to learn how to take care of.

It is capable of 200 lumens! 3 modes, similar to the A3 except a bit shorter and a lot fatter and thus heavier with better runtime per lumen.
Still, I use the A1 on my keychain with an RCR123 battery without difficulty.
This one is 25 bucks, BUT you have to buy a decent Protected 16340/RCR123 battery as well as a charger which you won't have. This increases the effective cost.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=372

===========

Finally, an 1xAA option is the itp A2. Same brightness as the A3 except with twice the runtime. A bit longer and fatter, but still quite small.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=373
I have iTP A1 , A2 and A3 torches and they are all great torches ... I have two A3s as keyring torches plus an A2 as EDC ... A perfect set of torches ... The A1 is by my bedside alongside my Solarforce L2 ... I don't use the A1 as EDC as I find that it is a dumpy shape and prefer the A2 and A3 particularly in stainless though one of my A3s is in titanium and is gorgeous looking as well as light weight.

You really can't go wrong with the iTP A range of torches.

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the itp a3 for the wife in pin/purple.

For you I'd go illuminati (but may be too pricey) as the led is a little brighter and more flood. or the itp a2

lovenhim

Enlightened
I am curious, for the ITP A1, A2, and A3, they are 3 mode lights. Do they come on in low/med/hi in that order or something different? Also I see where the A3 comes in "natural", so what color is that?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious, for the ITP A1, A2, and A3, they are 3 mode lights. Do they come on in low/med/hi in that order or something different? Also I see where the A3 comes in "natural", so what color is that?
The A3 is medium , low , high ... Natural is sort of greyishy-black-with a hint of green.

lovenhim

Enlightened
med/low/hi? That is strange, that color sounds interesting and different so to speak. :) I would like the SS version but do not need it...paying extra for a color/body material. :) I am going for value here, if money were not an issue then heck I might go for a Quark Mini 123 or Quark mini something or other. LOL :)

ASheep

Enlightened
Another vote for the iTP A series, I EDC an A2 stainless steel, It has a nice mix of brightness and runtime, with a low/med/hi interface. For your wife I would recommend the A3, in whatever colour you wish. For the price, you can't really go wrong, they both have a great balance of size, runtime, brightness and price.

Alternatively if your wife wants something a little more compact/dimmer, the Fenix E01 is a great, cheap AAA option, but is rather dim compared to the A3.

sappyg

Enlightened
med/low/hi? That is strange

i'm starting to like these A3's but you're right.... that's strange. i'm thinking to replace an EO1 with either another EO1 or something different. for 5 bucks more and three modes i think i can put up with some strange.

lovenhim

Enlightened
OK it looks like the ITP lights are the way to go. Now has anyone heard of or used the Mr. Lite Lipstick flashlight? I found it also on the CPF marketplace forum. It just looks like the ITP is hard to beat period. :)

entoptics

Enlightened
For your budget and needs, the iTP A3 is about the only choice out there. Fortunately, it's a VERY GOOD light. There are two in my house, and my wife loves hers.

I would personally avoid the stainless steel models. They look lovely, but mine is much heavier than my wife's aluminum version, the head twists harder with grittier threads, and the surface is very slick and hard to grip for one handed switching.

Regarding the Medium - low - high mode sequence, I think it's actually quite good if one considers the light's intended audience. The average non-flashahaulic might never bother switching modes, but will find the medium mode VERY bright relative to most other keychain options while still getting 3 hours of runtime.

Though I do wish iTP would include mode memory, or better yet programming, in the user interface. That would essentially make the light perfect for both flashahaulics and regular users.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying a Maratac (a.k.a. CountyComm) AAA light on my keychain for 6 or 7 months now. I absolutely friggin' love this light. It is designed to run on an Alkaline or rechargable AAA, but I run it on a li-ion 10440. The natural anodizing shows no sign of wear even after doing battle with the rest of the stuff on my key chain.

The modes are Med -> Low - High on alkaline, but with a 10440 I would consider the modes as High -> Low -> Turbo. The light is twice as bright on a 10440 as on an alkaline. On a 10440, I get 1 hr 7 min run time on the default "High" -> Low -> Turbo mode setting.

With a 10440, I would not run it on Turbo for more than 6 min - it will get very hot. You can run it as long as you like in any mode if using alkalines or NiMH.

I sent one of these lights to my brother. Every time I hear from him (4 or 5 times a year), he keeps telling me how much he likes this light.

There are a number of threads on this light. Just do a search on Maratac AAA. There is also a utube video demonstrating how waterproof the light is. FYI, the light also is available in copper and stainless steel

Last edited:

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
+100 for any of the ITP A series lights. I have all 3 and they are great lights. All of mine are SS, a bit heavier than aluminum but will stay good looking for a long time to come. A1 & A2 go LMH while A3 goes MLH. The aluminum will cost you about $20.50 from goinggear.com and they are great to do business with.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
ITP A1 goes low/med/high btw. *edit, i should read the previous post b4 posting*

lovenhim

Enlightened
Thank you everyone for all the help. I got lucky and i was able to purchase a Fenix LD01 and Quark 123 regular from Craigslist both for $40. The man was asking $50 but all I had on me were $20's from the atm and we had no way to make change. I am very happy with the lights and thankful. :)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got lucky and i was able to purchase a Fenix LD01 and Quark 123 regular from Craigslist both for $40.

Both are excellent lights. You will not be disappointed. The LD01 has a tighter beam than the Maratac and thus throws a little farther. They are so small, I EDC both the Maratac and the LD01.