Fenix LD10 R4: Tint Census

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can owners of a fenix LD10 please give some idea of the tint of the led please, I know the efficiency is great, but tint is always really important to me and also many others so it would be good to know..

I know that it is a 'cool white tint' but even within that spectrum it can be hard to define. If anyone could give a colour temperature or cree tint bin of the led that would be great. If not then please pick from the options below:

Very Cool
Cool
Pure White
Neutral
Off colour: Purple/Green/Blue etc, please specify.

Thanks.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
tint bin is not specified, so it will be subject to the everlasting "tint lottery"

manitoe

Newly Enlightened
My LD10 R4 has an obvious green tint on low and a very slight hint of green on medium. On high and turbo it's just pure white. My PD30 R4 is exactly the same, btw.

arnoldr

Newly Enlightened
My LD10 R4 has an obvious green tint on low and a very slight hint of green on medium. On high and turbo it's just pure white. My PD30 R4 is exactly the same, btw.

+1, but the very slight green hue is only on the low setting.

arnoldr

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would call the tint of mine neutral. I use it mostly at minimum level for reading in bed and I can't notice any green hue on a white page.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

This has been my experience with the PD30 and LD10 R4 models. They are certainly not below average with some of the other green XPG lights I have or seen, I would say average.

This being said tint lottery is always possible but most what I have read and experienced the R4's that Fenix has been using seem "mostly" consistent. Give it a shot and worse case it has a hint of minty green with best case you get a more white/cool white.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
the "premium" printed on the light is definitely not premium white tint... :green:
tint lottery? eerrrmmmm, perhaps the green hint is the new "blue" and it's the norm for these new Cree LEDs... and that includes XP-G and XP-E I've seen... the worst part is, even the neutral whites carry the green-tint now... :sick2: :sigh: :ohgeez:

AussieRanga

Enlightened
Definitely greenish on low and medium but on high and turbo it's a beautiful neutral white.

Audible bzzzzz hisssssss too on lower modes.

BWX

Enlightened
on my LD20 r4 on low (9 lumen), very very very slight green, only in center of the donut of the hotspot, and only on a white wall.

On medium, high, turbo- All neutral to my eyes, looks like sunlight. My H501 was WAY cooler. Second h501w was quite a bit warmer, if that makes any sense to you.

Oh, and no buzzing, completely silent.. :)

BWX

Enlightened
:eek:oo:
But it still is cool white, isn't it? Not a real 4000K neutral white?
The latter would be nice...and even possible, because the XP-G R4 is actually available in neutral white.

it's hard to say, what is sunlight? Exactly 4000k? To me it looks like sunlight but I know it's advertised as a "cool white" LED. Maybe it's on the more 'neutral side' of cool? I love the tint, but I know that's personal taste.

tandem

Enlightened
It's tempting to say there is a hint of green on low output only but I wonder if it is an illusion. Grey seems to fit better. When you put the light away from a pure white surface just a couple inches away, on low, nothing in my brain registers as "green" in what I witness. Feet away, I perceive a gray/green tinge in some rooms.

Just answering the question: what's the tint of the light overall - I'd answer slightly cool white.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 ld20 and an ld10. All are a purple tint. They are not green at all. All my quarks have a green tint to them. 95% of my lights are cool tint and imo the ld10/ld20 are by far the farthest from white of any cool led light I own. I think my nitecore sr3 has the best tint of any cool led light I own. My ld20 and ld10 are xpg r4.

Edit: here is text from another post I wrote on a very similar subject:

I'm comparing my LD10/LD20 to my other lights. when I use a Nitecore SR3, for example, and then go to an LD10/LD20, I can see noticable blue/purple tint. Comapring some of my lights side by side I can see quarks are green, Fenix LD10/LD20 are blueish/purple, Zebralights (cool) are very very slightly green and my EagleTacs, Maelstrom, Jetbeams, and others are close to tintless cool white. It is the comparison that shows me the tint difference. If the LD10 was my only light and I never shined it on a white wall compared to my other lights, perhaps I would not notice. The fact that I have so many lights and use differet ones for different tasks on a daily basis makes this very noticable now. Because of the horrible tints, My LD10/LD20 lights are now only reserved for emergency power loss use since they run on AA batteries which are cheap (and available)

Last edited: