Looking for a reading light

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enough lumens and a warm or neutral tint to read comfortably. With the biggest priority being run time. Currently she is using a 2 AA minimag with the lower power electrolux drop in and while the light is plenty bright, she is unhappy with the run time.

Prefer AA, AAA, 18650, or D cell format.

Price....she wants a light that does what she wants. I want a cheap light that does what she wants.

ToNIX

Enlightened
I do not have any models to suggest, but have you considered a headlight? This would probably be the best for her as the light would always be directed where she's looking and would not illuminate everything around her. You could sleep while she's reading!

EDIT : Typo...

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this,not your battery choice but is cheap to buy and new to me,it arrived in a news letter last week to me.

The Nite Ize TaskLit is the perfect hands-free night time lighting device. Its parabolic L.E.D. lens illuminates a four-foot area with a full flood beam that's gentle on night vision. Made with a high-quality elastic headband that adjusts easily to fit any head size, it weighs only .8 ounce, so it's easy to carry and comfortable to wear. Push the water-resistant lamp once for steady glow mode (for reading, working, and navigating in the dark), twice for continuous flash (for running, cycling, or any time you want to alert others of your presence). Nite Ize's TaskLit comes with a spare set of long-life replaceable batteries, and is available in white.

BarryG

Enlightened
How about one of the Quarks? I have a regular and the moonlight mode is good for reading in low light areas and you can bump it up to low if that isn't enough.

Barry

UpChUcK

Enlightened
My daughters use my Maratac AAA, ITP A3 EOS or Quark Mini123 for reading in the car at night on long trips. They seem to like them. They seem fairly neutral tint to me.

joe1512

Enlightened
Keep in mind that runtime is a simple matter of your battery capability divided by how many lumens you are outputting.

Some lights are more efficient than others, but a 2xAA light will not vary in runtime very much assuming the same lumen level.

A few ways to get around this are:

1) Less lumens. A light with a fine-adjustment or at least multiple brightness levels could be helpful here to get exactly the right amount of light and not waste power.

2) Specialty batteries. A single 18650 battery has quite a bit of power. 3.7 Volts average over 2400mAh = around 8 to 8.5 Watt hours worth in a small package. An eneloop AA has about 2000mAhx1.2Volt = 2.5 Watt hours.

Hence, using lithium ion batteries will be more efficient per unit weight/space. So you might consider getting a light that uses an 18650 when looking around.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the info and suggestions. Looking things up now.

We like 18650 based lights, that's what she is used to in her ET T20. Heh, even though it has low, won't use it. Says it has to be another light...my wife is a closet flashaholic.

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight H501

I use daily to read, both paper and electronic formats.

Very comfortable, AA batteries, low is low, and the list goes on.

Its a great little light for reading(and pretty much anything else)

red02

Enlightened
Photon Freedom Fusion, I think they had a single white LED version out also. Only about 20 and rugged enough for a reading light.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though it only comes with a cool white LED, you might want to look into the Fenix MC10 Angle-light. It is extremely versatile and it can be placed on a nightstand or clipped to a Fenix headband and used as a headlight. It comes with a flip down diffuser that works great at dispersing the beam when I'm reading. It also can be hung from its included clip so it can be used as an overhead area light. It can be clipped to your belt too and used hands-free for numerous other tasks around the house. It's also small enough to be easily carried in a pocket, purse, belt holster, or fanny pack.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=56

I got my MC10 initially just because it was so different from any other light in my collection. Now that I've had it for about two months, I can't believe how long I lived without it because I'm always finding more different uses for it. It's very handy to have around.

Anyway...just another option.

Last edited:

pae77

Enlightened
You might also want to check out Mighty Bright xtraflex reading lights. http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lights/79/ProductDetail.aspx

3448867912XF2-Black.jpg

They are like portable clip on task lights with 2 LEDs and a flexible goose neck. The clip can also act as a base for sitting on a table. IIRC, they have something like 40 hr runtimes on 3 AAA's (that fit in the clip/base) but can also use a small AC adapter if desired. They have a very good optic that provides a nice smooth flood for reading. I use one to light up my non backlit laptop's keyboard at night. Imo, the quality is pretty high considering the relatively low cost.

Here's some more info on them:

Specifications

• Bright and brighter light settings - option of using one or two of the Super LED lights
  • Xtra coverage
  • Xtra lightweight
  • Xtra strong book clip grips almost anything or use free standing as a task light
  • Special Lens spreads light evenly with no hot spots
  • Easily bends to compact position for storage
  • Bend arm to point in any direction at any time
  • SUPER LED as bright as six regular LEDs and never needs replacing (Note: They are not that bright compared to what we are used to, but they are perfect for reading).
  • Runs on 3 AAA batteries (Not included) - Alkaline recommended (I use Eneloops or the AC adapter.)
  • AC Adapter Available!

I have an H501 and like that a lot too but the Mighty Bright is really optimized for reading and is very inexpensive <$20 w/o ac adapter. They sell them at Amazon too. I highly recommend them or the H501w.

Last edited:

NightKids

Enlightened
My fiancee reckons the mightybright is not bright enough, not sure whether to take the plunge on mightybright II with 2 LEDs or not...

I suggested a headlamp but it may look a bit funny on her!

Egsise

Banned
My wife uses her ZebraLight H50 Q5 as nightlight and for reading at night, low mode is enough and it lasts 72 hours, medium mode lasts 15 hours but may be too bright.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw a used Black Diamond headlamp with 3 LEDs on it. Thought the headlp suggestion was a hood one. For more than one reason. Harder for her to lose itwith the headband straps on it. So, grabbed it for under 20 bucks. If it's not what she wants, will try some of the others. Likely the MN12 angle light next, followed by the zebra. As she can mount them to the straps on the headband.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
If she doesn't go for the headlamp, try a Neklight. I have something similar that uses 3 LED's and 3xAAA and has and adjustable angle head. I'll take a pick tonight if I remember. I believe it is made by Rayovac or Energizer and got it from Meijers or Target.

notsofast

Enlightened
Head light seem the most practical, itp makes an AAA model. It is very small and light weight, 3 modes only $30.

Latest posts