rrt0 sst 50 mod

michael3

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone here offer the service of this kind of mod? and does anyone know if it even makes sense as far as how the rrt0 works meaning the smart circutry and drivers? basically I really like the light but would really love to be able to get more output from it. I appreciate any input anyone has.Thanks,
Michael

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea, and though the circuit and driver may hold up, heatsinking will be a big problem for such a small light :green:
OK, so the driver is not up to it, thanks mvyrmnd. See post below :)

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're planning to keep the existing Driver, I wouldn't bother swapping to a SST-50.

The driver would only be pushing ~1A (I haven't checked the specs, don't quote me on this) to the emitter, not enough to make the SST-50 worthwhile.

If you were to swap the driver for something that would supply enough grunt, you'd probably lose the control ring functionality, rendering the nice bit of the RRT-0 useless.

Swapping to an R5 XP-G might be worth it for a few more lumens, but it'd be more floody than the current XR-E

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still a much floodier beam pattern, and unless you heavily stippled the reflector, you'd get a donut hole in the middle of the beam. You'll also lose the throw of the light.

The driver still wouldn't provide enough current to make it worthwhile. Installing a new driver would get rid of the smart ring mode selection. Heatsinking would also be an issue if you increased current drive levels, and put in a less efficient LED.

michael3

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any suggestions for something brighter but close to the same throw? I looked briefly at your link to flashlight mods.

Ok, I'm not an led expert, but I can read data sheets, and the SST-50 sheet says approx 60% of given flux at 1A (which was an approximation given earlier). Depending on the flux bin you get and tint, that could put you anywhere from 132 to 360 emitter lumens. Subtract 30% and you get a max of 92 to 252. So that's 252 OTF, best case scenario with a 6500K tint and top possible flux bin. Realistically, you'll find yourself somewhere south of there. I agree with others that XP-G would be better (but then again I actually like floody lights).

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of similar option for my Jet-III M. I love the driver, and don't want to lose the functionality.

Effectively you need to find the highest flux, highest efficiency LED @ 1A that won't overheat with the available heatsinking.

The XP-G will spoil the throw characteristics of the light, but is really the only option you have.

The R5 bin XP-G would have more lumens than your current R2 XR-E, or you could hold out for an XP-G S2 bin, which (according to rumors) would give 400 lumens @ 1A.