Need new EDC, Lost faith in Fenix

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
My L2D just quit on me and my TK40 tail cap switch seems to be acting up again after I sent it in 2 months or so ago to get fixed for the same problem. I have lost faith in Fenix be it justified or not. I just don't trust them any more and want to try something different.

I preffer LED in a 2 X AA format the size of a L2D or a bit bigger would be fine @ less than 75.00.

All opinions are welcome.

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering what is wrong with the L2D? Maybe the cap lock ring has just came loose. I had mine for 3 years and it has be nothing but a solid light for me.

Carpe Lux

Newly Enlightened
2 years on my L2d and it's running strong...the rubber clicky comes out of the collar occasionally but that's quick fix.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D just quit on me and my TK40 tail cap switch seems to be acting up again after I sent it in 2 months or so ago to get fixed for the same problem.

If you're having problems with your TK40's tail cap switch, take a look at my posts in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/253661

I posted my TK40 switch fixes on both page 1 and page 2 of that thread. I have had *zero* problems with mine since I cleaned the switch with just one squirt of electrical contact cleaner. :thumbsup:

entoptics

Enlightened
EagleTac P20A2 - Bright as hell, good efficiency, simple UI, superb mix of throw and flood.

2 cents of course.

NightKids

Enlightened
Try a TK20 and if that fails on you then lose faith in Fenix.

Fenix has been nothing but reliability for me personally.... I have a Quark Mini 123 and it has thread issues

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Click switches are the weak points in just about all lights. Don't think for a second that jumping ship from Fenix to another brand changes your odds of a switch failure. Furthermore, many of the Chinese lights share common switch parts internally, from the same bulk suppliers.

If switch reliability is your area of concern you should look into the surefire Z41 equipped lights, or those designs that use McCicky guts. Unfortunately this will probably land you north of the $75 mark. You could probably lego a Solarforce L2 + extender + SF-Z41, and use 2AA cells with it. Seek out a low voltage drop in and you're in business. That setup should be right around $75.

You might be able to find a 9P host for around $80 on the marketplace, but you will have to budget for the low voltage drop in. This setup will accommodate 2AA.

The other affordable alternative is to stick with clickies but buy from a small operation retailer that specializes in factory support and CS. 4-7 Quark AA lights come to mind immediately. Lighthound, battery junction and shiningbeam all have a history of good CPF CS.

Or stock up on replacement switch parts. Lighthound sells Fenix replacement switch gutts, and shiningbeam sells replacement switch parts for the RC-N3. These are just 2 retailers off the top of my head. Lighthound sells replacement switch caps for your L2D, as well as the internal replacement part.

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spacetroll - disassemble your TK40's tail cap and clean its switch with electrical contact cleaner. It's an extremely simple and cheap fix.

Latest posts