D10 SP Turns on when dropped (normal?)

bcro

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys--

I have found that an impact to the top, bottom or side of my D10 defeats the lock-out feature, and turns the flashlight on. This happens with an impact equivalent to a fall from 2-3 feet onto the floor. Anyone else have this problem? Any known fixes for it?

The rest of the story is that such an impact occurs often when I go to bed and toss my pants (light in pocket) on the floor. I then go for the light sometime the next day, only to find the battery drained from being on for so long.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened
I am guessing that when the light is dropped the battery stops making contact briefly with the circuit then reconnects, causing the light to turn on. It is a common problem with the D20 (probably due to the extra mass of 2xAAs), but I don't hear much of the D10 having that problem.

A workaround for the problem would be to unscrew the head to keep the light off.

Hayden2

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem with mine. It actually takes only a fairy light tap or blow to the rear end of the flashflight to cause accidental activation.

I have sent it back to nightcore as a warranty issue. They have just got it an say they will get back to me. I will share the outcome of this with you all.

Twisting the head off does not work it just changes the mode of the switch to momentary. This again defeats the object of trying to "lock out" the light.

It is a shame because in every other way it is almost an ideal EDC light

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try cleaning the centre positive brass terminal in the head - that can cause resistance and with a slight downward movement of the battery away from the board can cause an 'on' activation.

James...

ykb

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem with mine. It actually takes only a fairy light tap or blow to the rear end of the flashflight to cause accidental activation.

I have sent it back to nightcore as a warranty issue. They have just got it an say they will get back to me. I will share the outcome of this with you all.

Twisting the head off does not work it just changes the mode of the switch to momentary. This again defeats the object of trying to "lock out" the light.

It is a shame because in every other way it is almost an ideal EDC light
I have the same problem on my first-run D10 but more :)
The slightest tap of my finger on any area would make the torch switch on/off, ramp up/down, flicker etc. A good clean made no difference.

I sent it to Nitecore so they could take a look at it a couple of months ago. They recently emailed to say the D10 is fixed, and is on its way back to me complete with tracking number.
I'm a bit excited to receive it because, as you say, it's an excellent EDC :)

bcro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'll try cleaning the contact and stretching the spring. I'd also love to hear how it goes for those of you that sent your light back for repair. It seems strange that such an otherwise rugged light should be so sensitive to impacts...kind of like world cup soccer players in a way.

Thanks again guys. Hope you all have a great 4th.

bcro

Newly Enlightened
I stretched the spring out to about twice its original rest length. The light, when locked out, now only comes on when given a very sharp impact directly to its back end, such as could only come from dropping it off a roof or something.

Problem solved. Thanks everyone for your input.

bansuri

Enlightened
It's an interesting behavior.
On one hand it seems like a negative as it might lead to an accidental power on state. On the other hand if you fumbled your light getting it out of pocket, bag, whatever, in a darkened place having it turn on would be a great feature!
Other lights have used a spring at both ends to prevent loss of contact and, as you've seen, a tighter spring will prevent this in all but the most extreme impacts, but still, I'm wondering if it's not that bad of a characteristic.
Do you notice any change in the pressure required to activate it?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

It's very normal .

To understand it ........ think of how a piston drive operates .

Gravity and battery inertia replaces your thumb press .

~

Hayden2

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Just to update you all with the warranty repair for my D10 SP. Well after going all the way back to China and back to me. It still has exactly the same problem! The Nitecore warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. I will not waste my money buying from Nitecore again.

I did try stretching the main spring as suggested. Whilst this did reduce the problem of accidental activation, and most knocks will not make the flashlight come on. A fairly moderate blow directly square on to the push button at the rear will still make the light come on. The other issue is the torch coming on when the spring slackens again. Do I really want to keep checking the spring.

I just do not trust this light to carry in my pocket. I have found another alternative 4Sevens Mini AA which has similar out puts (apart from momentary) but being twist activated can be totally "locked out" without any chance of accidental activation. The o rings are sufficiently far back to ensure the waterproof seal is not comprised.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Piston drives can be very finicky, and a drop causing it to turn on is actually pretty normal. I used to own a Nitecore D20 that would come on by itself just by handling the light.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

You are concerned about coming ON when dropped .

Initially , in the lights history , the rest of us were concerned about the light turning OFF / when dropped ... breaking contact ... leaving us in the dark !

You should investigate the lights history.... back to the beginning.

~

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light that behaves erratically is a problem whether it's turning itself on or off. The primary reason I sold my D20 is because I couldn't depend on it.

Gary007

Newly Enlightened
Thought I was the only one (D20)! Guess not.

Piston drives can be very finicky, and a drop causing it to turn on is actually pretty normal. I used to own a Nitecore D20 that would come on by itself just by handling the light.

A light that behaves erratically is a problem whether it's turning itself on or off. The primary reason I sold my D20 is because I couldn't depend on it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another post a member said I will regret not buying a D10,think I was correct avoiding it,plenty of others to buy and just one problem puts me off a light for good,my Itp A1 has had issues and I hate the thing now.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
This never happens with my D10 (first run I believe). I just tried banging it hard at both end and dropping it. I can hear the battery piston bouncing around inside but it doesn't switch on. I've never had to adjust anything on it, and the button turns it on with just the right amount of pressure for my liking. It occasionally gets a clean and fresh lube. It's had a lot of use since I've had it.

Maybe mine's not typical, but it appears it would take a more severe bang or fall than I'm prepared to subject it to for it to switch on.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I've had a D10 since the day they came out and never had any problems.
Carried/used nearly every day.

Thanks for letting me know that if I were ever clumsy enough to drop it, the worst I could expect for - is for it to 'come on'