Reserving the Second Post in a Thread

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen this in multiple threads, but I don't understand the purpose of doing this when you have an edit button that can be used at any time. A lot of times I see this when someone is doing a review of a light, and when posting information about a modified light in the Homemade and Modified section. The second post in the thread will be reserved by the thread starter for beamshots, updates, etc.. etc..... I just don't understand the reasoning behind this, and I've wondered this for quite some time now. Does this stem from years back? Maybe at one time the first post in the thread was limited to x amount of data? Just curious.

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
I did it for one of my threads on beamshot time lapse videos, mainly for "secondary" information that might not be particularly important for the original post.

Obviously, you are correct about the edit button though, and that's what I generally use. Some information might be more appropriate as it's own post though.

Pretty much a preference thing I guess. Certainly not necessary, but it's sort of "better safe than sorry".

:shrug:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did it for one of my threads on beamshot time lapse videos, mainly for "secondary" information that might not be particularly important for the original post.

Obviously, you are correct about the edit button though, and that's what I generally use. Some information might be more appropriate as it's own post though.

Pretty much a preference thing I guess. Certainly not necessary, but it's sort of "better safe than sorry".

:shrug:

Something I just noticed after you mentioned this is the fact that information placed at the bottom of the first post has a higher risk of being overlooked, but if placed in the second post it would be much more noticeable. You know how people will sort-of skim over the last little bit of text in a large post.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Well .......... they got there first ...... so .......

I see no harm / no foul

~

Yeah, I agree, it doesn't really matter as long as the mods don't mind it. These "reserved" posts don't bother me, I'm just curious because I've seen it done so many times, and every time I've wondered why. Also, more often than not, you will see that the second post was reserved, but never used. It just doesn't make sense to me, so I'm trying to understand it, that's all. In the "Calling all Quarks" review I did, I found out that it's not because of limited characters or data in the first post; I've edited to add more data and pictures even after posts had rolled over to page two.

Last edited:

cimino

Newly Enlightened
On some forums (I mean at other sites) you are restricted to placing a certain number of images in one post, e.g. 10. But I think this is not so much the case any more.

nbp

Flashaholic
Something I just noticed after you mentioned this is the fact that information placed at the bottom of the first post has a higher risk of being overlooked, but if placed in the second post it would be much more noticeable. You know how people will sort-of skim over the last little bit of text in a large post.

Ultimately, I think you hit on it with this statement. It's my assumption too.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Like stated earlier, the reserved post may later contain data, info, pics, that might sort of mess of the first post. I think it can make for a cleaner review, for example, and is still close to the primary first post.

Bill

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup:. I've come to the conclusion that opinions will vary some when it comes to reserving the second post, so ultimately, the reserved post is in the eye of the beholder :D :crackup: (thread starter).

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it because I have dial up and sometimes I have to load one post at a time because a giant thread will lock up my computer.

mrartillery

Enlightened

This is exactly the reason I reserve 2nd post, especially if there are numerous pictures. It kind of makes a break in the thread and doesn't seem as monotonous.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it has changed now, but you used to be able to only have 10 images in a post, so having the second spot saved for more photos would be necessary to keep the info organized at the top.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Second post reservations are a big during reviews. I think they're a great idea when used appropriately.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I have a better understanding of post reservations now, and if I ever start another thread that has as many pictures as the previously mentioned "Calling all Quarks" thread, I might just give it a try.