SureFire M3LT compared to M6

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am lucky to have both SureFire flashlights on hand at the moment, and I thought I would try to answer the question that I know at least a few are asking - is SureFire's latest LED finally brighter than their famous M6?

First off, I need to apologize: I won't be able to take pictures, beamshots, or runtimes unless I get very lucky. I will however try my best to answer any questions.

So, is it as bright? Well, it throws as far. Both flashlights are right around 30K lux, and appear to throw equally far in visual tests over approximately 150m. Of course, the M6 has a relatively orange beam and the M3LT a relatively blue one, although the M3LT actually appears remarkably neutral by itself. The spots are nearly the same size. The M6's spot is slightly oval shaped, while the M3LT's is actually slightly square shaped. In use I can't tell either from a circle.

The only real difference between the beams is the spill. The M6 doesn't have particularly bright spill, but the M3LT has next to none. I don't think 400 lumens could possibly be focused more efficiently into a spot. That being said, I find it easy to navigate using either. But I can see this as the reason the M6 is rated 100 lumens brighter.

As for the bodies, you can see most of this in the pictures, and are probably at least as qualified as myself to assess their combat suitability, so I will just say two things. First, the M3LT grows on you, and ends up looking pretty nice. And second, I don't think it's possible to design a classier flashlight than the M6. But that's just my opinion :rolleyes:

And of course there are things the M6 simply can't manage with an incandescent bulb, like SureFire's slick two-mode interface. Overall I am hugely impressed with the M3LT :thumbsup:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, I am also curious about that - obviously won't get the two-stage - wonder whether it will run on high only???
I think we must assume that the M3LT bezel will default to low on all bodies that don't feature or properly accept the M3LT's TailCap.
I understand this to be so for both the M6 and M4 although I'm not aware of how the runtime extends compared to three-SFR123As

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only real difference between the beams is the spill. The M6 doesn't have particularly bright spill, but the M3LT has next to none. I don't think 400 lumens could possibly be focused more efficiently into a spot. That being said, I find it easy to navigate using either. But I can see this as the reason the M6 is rated 100 lumens brighter.
keep in mind that the M6 with fresh batteries produces much more than 500 lumens,

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't thought to put the KX9T on the M6 until you guys asked, but it works. As Size15's predicted, it is only low though. Also, the KT4 does work on the M3LT body, but there is a decent gap of bare threading, while the reverse fits quite well.

Nice little review. there is another one with indoor beamshots.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/279924

Have you tried putting the M3LT head on the M6 body?

Thanks for the link. That's actually the reason I didn't publish a more thorough review - turboBB does a very good job of it there.

Last edited:

Latest posts