Just Joined CPF

D-LUX

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I've been a visitor to this forum for a few weeks now, reading through some threads etc. and I think I've caught the Modding Bug...:grin2:

When I got my stock LED Mag 3D I was impressed with the light output but after seeing what can be done (modding), I'm keen to give it try.

Rgds
D-LUX

Last edited:

bulbman

Newly Enlightened
Re: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/images/smilies/wink2.gif Just Joined CPF

:welcome:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Big welcome!

What mods did you have in mind?

As it would turn out, the latest versions of the mag LEDs are actually pretty darn good without any modification. They are what I recommend to friends, family, and co-workers who just need a good flashlight but can't be bothered with "fancy*" batteries and special configurations.

*Fancy: anything but alkaline cells available at the grocery store.

Most Mag mods actually start with one of the incandecent mags. Mods can go in the incan or LED direction and can be very fun. Most heavily modified and ultra-bright configurations aren't exactly practical, instead, they are more like adult toys :)

Eric

D-LUX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All for the welcome.

mdocod, You're right the LED Maglites are good. Perhaps I'll try and pick up 2nd hand incan for my first mod...
I like the idea of a thrower, maybe a single P7 with stock reflector and the DX aspheric lens. I'd need to give some thought to the driver and power source.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
That would normally be a great idea. The P7 is a great emitter, but it is the worst for aspheric mods. The spot has a cross though it and is not a square or circle. I would recommend an SST-50 or SST-90 with an aspheric. You'd get some crazy throw with that mod.

Last edited:

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
Uhm, I'd advise against P7 or MC-E for a thrower. Since an aspheric lens projects an image of the emitter, the resulting beam would actually consist of 4 distinct beams, that's rather ugly.
The best LED for maximum throw currently is an XR-E R2 EZ900.

Additionally, I advise against using a reflector and an aspheric for a thrower. It's more like either-or.
If the reflector is used to hold things in place for a lens based setup, people often paint it black or cover it with black tape etc. to avoid ugly artifacts.

This picture (MC-E, OP reflector, 28mm aspheric) might give you an idea: 4 distinct spots, surrounded by reflector artifacts.
Anl

D-LUX

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I meant that style of lens, is it called a colminator(?)... I was wondering if there was any benefit to having one of these between the emitter and aspheric.
(so if I used a single LED, having a single "coliminator" to focus the light into the aspheric)

Thanks.

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
It's called a TIR optic and works like a reflector, but has less losses.
And as a reflector it won't do good with an aspheric lens.

NightKids

Enlightened
OH i wish that you would remain satisfied with a maglite LED cause your wallet will thank you!! Now you've given it to the dark side so.... :welcome: