High End Ice Chests (Coolers)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
For the most part, flashaholics and knife guys, and general EDC loving guys love high quality, indestructable gear.

I got tired of the wind blowing my lid back when opening it and breaking my igloo marine cooler. Time to go online, find something better.

I found Yeti, a company thats been around for 5 years.

I found a dealer 12 miles away!! :)

So $279 later, I bought this 45 Quart cooler, that will last me a lifetime.

This cooler is Certified Grizzly Bear Proof on federal land by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC). Is your cooler? :D

The cooler, screams quality, and is rediculously strong, seals like a freezer, 2" insulation on sides, and 3" on the lid. ATV style rubber latches hold her shut, padlock holes to keep your buddies out. :devil:

Rope handles are easy to replace, 1" strap tiedown slits, anti skid rubber feet, and the cool bear proof seal when you open the lid!!!

Thought I would share....

utf-8BSU1HMDE4MDItMjAxMDA3MDEtMTcxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDE4MDEtMjAxMDA3MDEtMTcxM.jpg

After 30 hours of packing:

utf-8BSU1HMDE4MTAtMjAxMDA3MDItMjAwO.jpg

Last edited:

DimmerD

Enlightened
Wow bear proof? I guess you could hide inside if bear was after you, as long as you could fit AND left the drain hole open so you could breathe.
How is it on keeping ice frozen, have you tested it yet?

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Meh, just says bear "resistant," you gotta shell out some REAL dough for bear "PROOF":nana:
j/k, I'm jealous

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
For it to be bear resistant, padlocks have to be installed on each side. There is a video with a grizzly bear tossing a Yeti around like a ragdoll.

Also, I put 18 16oz. Miller Lite aluminum bottles in yesterday with 20 pounds of ice. This morning, there was minimal ice loss, probably happened chilling the cooler.

The Yetis are made using the same process as kayaks. :rock:

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I bought one of these 10 years ago and it still going strong, just notice them selling at costco.
54 Quart Stainless Steel Belted Cooler

unnamed.jpg

fishinfool

Enlightened
That is a very rough and tough looking cooler. I had the same lid problems with coolers while living in Alaska for over 20 years. I could have put that cooler through the grizzly bear or even black bear test while out hunting for them. ;) That cooler would have been perfect on the racks of my atv. Thanks for sharing.

donn_

Flashaholic
Around here, the cooler has to withstand the fish test. 20# Bluefish, 40# Stripers and 100# Makos will really test a man's cooler.

Cooler_fish_46.jpg

This feller needs a bigger cooler!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the head's up on this one PSM! I'm tired of buying expensive coolers which don't seem to make it past a season or two and then stick me with a big box good for little else other than storage. I'm going to look into this one.

Karl

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bought a cheap $20 igloo years when the power was off for 2 days. I actually like it over others because it has wheels and a retractable handle built in so when it is loaded down you don't have to carry it nearly as much. I grew up with the chest types like pictured a few posts above and I prefer wheels now :D

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads-up, that thing looks solid! When my wife and I destroy our current cooler we'll definitely take a look at a Yeti. Cheaper in the long run to buy quality that lasts the first time around than it is to try out and destroy all the cheap options and have to spend the money on quality anyway.

I'd have to paint it bright orange, though. Sometimes we use our "cooler" to keep food from freezing while winter camping, and wouldn't it be a pain to lose a white cooler in the snow? There's also a reason none of my outdoor gear is camo.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh, just says bear "resistant," you gotta shell out some REAL dough for bear "PROOF":nana:
j/k, I'm jealous

This reminds me of a problem with bear-proofing garbage cans in state and national parks. Apparently there's quite an overlap in intelligence between the smarter bears and the dumber tourists. I think about it and crack up every time I see a garbage can in a wilderness-esque setting.l

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I'd have to paint it bright orange, though. Sometimes we use our "cooler" to keep food from freezing while winter camping, and wouldn't it be a pain to lose a white cooler in the snow? There's also a reason none of my outdoor gear is camo.

They come in white and tan, and a few models come in "team colors", and Real tree camo.

fishinfool

Enlightened
One of my favorite Igloo coolers is one I got as a gift while still living in Alaska that plugs into your car's cigarette lighter. It's not that big (1 case of beer cans will fit) but when you plug it in one way, it's a cold cooler and when you flip the cord part that plugs into the cooler, it becomes a food warmer. Just make sure you don't leave it plugged in too long with car not running. :ohgeez: