Voltage adapters in Australia?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of voltage adapter do I need to connect a USA two prong 110V plug to whatever they use in Australia? If I go to Radio Shack and ask the same question, will they know the answer easy enough?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aussies use 240 volts 50Hz mains, using a funny little 3 prong plug that`s similar to the US kind but has the hot and neutral pins skewed inwards at 45 degrees, and the ground pin is flat too not round.

You`ll need a suitably sized stepdown transformer, 240 - 110 volts to go inbetween an Australian outlet and your appliance. Some of them have plugs and outlets already fitted but more than likely you`ll need to obtain at least an Australian plug for the input side. Best bet is to get one of those and fit it when you get there, since they aren`t so easy to find elsewhere.

Transformers are usually rated in VA. For resistive loads this can be pretty much translated directly into the maximum wattage that it can supply, though some are rated for occasional use and not continuously so it`s a good idea to look at the rating cartefully and if in doubt get a big one.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris. Was going to lend my friend my digital camera and battery charger but if that complicated then I will just charge up both batteries before she leaves and go with them until they die.

highlandsun

Enlightened
Check your charger to see if it's already multi-standard; in that case all you'll need is the plug adapter, not a transformer. Radio Shack has a great little 4AA charger that works on arbitrary AC power. It also has an output jack so you can run other devices off the 4 AAs while they sit in the charger...

Radio Shack 273-1900

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost academic. All of the Digital camera battery chargers I have seen are wide range input 100-240v/50-60hz. They took a lesson from the laptop makers.

However almost every hotel room in Australia has a North America configuration 115V outlet for shavers in the bathroom, it is only good for about 50watts, but that's plenty for a digital camera charger.

Adapter are readily available in Australia (arrivals duty free, many hardware type stores, Tandy, and **** Smith Electronics have adapters, one will convert almost any configuration plug to Australian use).

Beware of devices that say 115V/60Hz. Some of them will burn up if you plug them into a 50Hz supply. Core saturates, and windings undergo rapid meltdown.