Headlamp for Fishing: PT Aurora, Energizer LED?!

W

willow77

Hello,

I'd like to buy a LED headlamp for fishing at night. Personally I like the Princeton Tec Aurora very much. But is this light regulated?
Constant brightness during battery life is very important to me. Because of that I don't want to buy the unregulated Petzl Tikka.

Then I've got another question about the Energizer LED Headlamp:

http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/energizer_ledessentials.htm

Can this light be bought in germany? I think the red LED would be very useful for me.

Thanks,
Chris

Luminati

Newly Enlightened
Chris,
First of all I'd like to state that I work for Petzl just for bias sake.

To answer your question here is what I can tell you about regulated headlamps.

The only regulated lamps that I know of are:

Black Diamond
Spaceshot & Spaceshot II (voltage regulated Xenon)
Supernova (voltage regulated Xenon)

Princeton Tec
Scout (regulated via Lithium CR2032 batteries)

Petzl
DUO LED 8 & DUO LED Belt 8 (current regulated LEDs)
MYO 5 & MYO BELT 5 (current regulated LEDs)

Your assesment that the Tikka and Tikka Plus models are non-regulated is correct. So too for the PT Aurora and Black Diamond Moonlight (Orbitron in Germany).

You might look at the Moonlight Pro (Orbitron Pro in Germany) since it uses AA / LR6 batteries which you can find in Lithium and thus,in essence, even light output due to their linear discharge curve. Unfortunately (for all of us)there aren't AAA Lithium batteries as of yet.

The Moonlight Pro (Orbitron Pro) is now being made with a PWM chip to allow the user to dim the light over three levels of output and it has a strobe mode just in case.

Good luck with your search for the best headlamp,
JRoc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp for Fishing: PT Aurora, Energizer LED

The PT Matrix (Matrix Module) is regulated and runs on 2 AAs. 40 hours constant level for alkalines, and 100 hours constant level for lithium AAs. I have a Matrix Module in my PT Solo.

Luminati

Newly Enlightened

Yow! I totally forgot about the Matrix. Good catch Mr. Bradshaw. This is a great little light - super durable and waterproof.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jon,

Thanks! Something you folks over there at Petzl might want to think about, is figure out a way to mount a high dome 1 watt luxeon star in an E10 bulb base (like is used in the Zoom), with something like the Micropuck for regulation, and something for reverse polarity protection, and, can be used with 4.5 and 6 volt headlamps. Hmmm, maybe included 3 volt (Micro)???

Just a thought, and hopefully a useful one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

W

willow77

Thanks for all your comments!

So there are no regulated 3AAA Headlamps :-(( Damn, i really like the size and weight of these lamps.

The PrincetonTec Matrix is very expensive here in germany (70 Euro) and not as compact as a Petzl Tikka. I don't think, that i'll buy this one...

And the PT Scout...the batteries are very exotic. Certainly they can not be found at a normal gas station or in a small supermarket....hmmm.

Don't anyone know something about this small 2W+1R LED Energizer Headlamp?

mfg,
Chris

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
willow77 said:
Don't anyone know something about this small 2W+1R LED Energizer Headlamp?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a page about the 2x white 1x red LED Energizer headlamp right here if you're interested.

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened

Haven't seen anything aboutn the Fusion? I don't know much about them yet but am expecting one on Monday. I was told it was a very good headlamp. Hope so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif From what I've read I trhink it should work out fine.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
RazorMaxx said:
Haven't seen anything aboutn the Fusion? I don't know much about them yet but am expecting one on Monday. I was told it was a very good headlamp. Hope so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif From what I've read I trhink it should work out fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have that light right here if you're interested.

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
I have that light right here if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, I read it...and read it again...and again! Your site and one or two others are where I always check before purchasing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank you for your good work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not quite sure why it only rated 3 1/2 stars though unless it was before a couple of the problems were addressed. Seems like it should be one of the better headlamps available for under $100.00. I guess I'll soon find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The Fusion is always getting just a bit better, so I guess I ought to re-rate it based on the newest model I received around a year ago. 3 1/2 stars is kind of a crappy rating for the Fusion, and the new models probably deserve better.

I did notice the bicycle clamp I used to attach it to my wheelchair had become broken, but I may have had a theft attempt while I was at the rest home (after spending a month at the hospital after brain surgery, they sent me to that place for a few more months). I was sent another bike clamp by a fellow CPFer a month or two ago, so my broken clamp was finally retired. I don't remember hitting doors or other fixtures with it at the rest home, so I honestly don't know how it became broken. The only thing I can think of was that someone might have tried to steal the light while I was asleep, and the snapping sound the clamp made as it broke scared the thief away before he or she made off with the light.