Fenix L2P Problem

JNieporte

Enlightened
As I understand it, the L2P operates this way: click the tailcap to turn on and off, turn the bezel for high or low mode.

Mine does the opposite: the bezel turns the light on and off (a slight turn clockwise turns it on, then a turn counter clockwise turns it off) and the tailcap switches between high and low mode (when the light is on).

Did I get a defect? Is it possible that the head and / or tailcap got switched up somewhere? I don't own any other Fenix lights that are compatible with these parts, so I know I didn't put something on wrong.

I even tried switching which end of the body the tailcap and bezel go on, but with no success. Any ideas?

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
odd.. where did you get this one from? the original L2P is only a 1 moder and this one has been modded to be a 2 mode. (a pretty common mod BTW)

JNieporte

Enlightened
odd.. where did you get this one from? the original L2P is only a 1 moder and this one has been modded to be a 2 mode. (a pretty common mod BTW)

I got it in trade from a member of another forum, can't remember who. Any idea how to make it to where the tailcap turns it on and off? If not, I may have to put it up on the trade forums.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
As csshih said, the original L2P was just a simple, single-mode light - click the tail cap to turn on, click again to turn off. While "on", twisting the bezel (or tailcap, if the threads were anodized) would break the circuit and turn it off.

It's easy to convert the tail cap from on/off to low/high by short-circuiting the "off" state with a resistor. There are also 2-stage switches that can be swapped in that will give you a high, low and off. If your tail cap only gives you high and low (no "off"), a previous owner probably did the resistor mod. You could unsolder the resistor to convert the tail cap back to on/off, but you can't add a low via a bezel twist to the original L2P head. That feature was first introduced with the L2T, and later added to the L2P v2.0.

Last edited:

JNieporte

Enlightened
So as to not ruin my light my messing with its insides, I'll keep it as is. I'll probably end up putting it for trade.

EDIT: Mine might be an L2P v.2.0; the body only says FENIX L2P 1W LED

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
The battery tube is not mounted wrong (front to back/ the thread for the head is connected to the tail cap)? I dunno if it is even possible with the L2P; I never had one.
When you do this to a PD30 (w/ tightened head), however, you get a single mode light - with instant strobe after hitting the switch :naughty:. The Defender edition, I'd call it...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Mine might be an L2P v.2.0; the body only says FENIX L2P 1W LED
That's the original L2P.

Sounds like someone did the resistor hi/low mod that's described in the link csshih provided. It should be easy to undo if you have a soldering iron. Replacing the tailcap would return it to the stock UI as well.