Had anyone replaced the glass of Fenix TK10?

alan98vw

Newly Enlightened
Hello all :wave:, I been reading the CPF forum over 3 years before I joined the CPF, this is my first thread. Today I dropped my TK10 on the floor from my waist and the glass just shattered (it had been dropped so many times and just a few scratches). Wondered had anyone replaced the glass before and where do you guys the glass from? I bought my TK10 and AW RCR123 from 4sevens.com more than 3 years ago, and checked his www site today and didn't see any glass replacement.
I am an avionics technician and almost use the TK10 every working day to inspect instrument on bench or aircraft in the hangar. Any help would be very appreciated. Oh, and thanks for all the CPF members that posted the TK10 reviews on CPF to help me choose this light.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you attempted to open the head yet? I tried briefly to open mine up once without success, although I wasn't really trying, if you know what I mean. I believe they use some type of thread locker on the locking ring. If I were you, I would try to find a tool suited for the job (needle nose pliers maybe), and attempt to remove the locking ring first before you spend money on replacement glass that you can't install. I think you can get it open by applying heat with a heat gun, but I recommend you try it first for the previously stated reason, and so you can measure the ID of the bezel or the opening size that the glass has to fit through to get to the bezel. Also, the way this light is designed, it looks like it would be easy to accidentally scar the threading trying to remove the locking ring.

A quick measurement on my TK10 shows that 24.33mm is the ID of the bezel opening at the glass end, so the glass will have to be larger in diameter than that size, but my head isn't opened up, so I can't measure the ID where the glass is. The only options (that I'm aware of) for glass replacement are from Flashlightlens.com. The best option would be the Borofloat lens because it's been said to be more scratch resistant than the UCL lens, but the Borofloat isn't offered in a size that you can use for this light, so we only have two options left. The UCL glass (click here), or the Hardcoat Acrylic lens (click here).

The UCL is offered in three sizes that could possibly work for you: 24.7mm x 1.85mm which might be cutting it too close, but that's your call. The next size up is 26.8mm x 1.85mm which would probably be about right, but it could be too small or too large; I'm not sure without having the head open to measure. If it's too large, you might be able to leave the protective paper on the glass and somehow remove material around the OD of the glass to get the required size, if it's too small, they also offer the UCL in a 28.6mm x 1.85mm.

Another option is their Hardcoat Acrylic Lens. It's available in 28.8mm x 1.68mm, and it might be easier to reduce the OD of this lens because it's made of plastic. They claim that it's "abrasion" resistant, but I don't actually have any experience with the Hardcoat Lenses, so I can't comment on durability. Keep us updated on whatever you do. If successfully open the head, some pictures would be really nice if you have time :D. We all like to see pictures. Best of luck either way.

Oh yeah, :welcome:

Last edited:

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Great torch, I have 2, you may just want to contact Fenix, maybe they'll just send you a replacement :thumbsup:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great torch, I have 2, you may just want to contact Fenix, maybe they'll just send you a replacement :thumbsup:

I guess he could try, but I contacted Fenix once in the hopes of purchasing a smooth reflector for a TK11 (XR-E Q5 emitter), and their reply was that even if they had a reflector that wasn't installed in a head, they wouldn't sell it to me anyway :fail:.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess he could try, but I contacted Fenix once in the hopes of purchasing a smooth reflector for a TK11 (XR-E Q5 emitter), and their reply was that even if they had a reflector that wasn't installed in a head, they wouldn't sell it to me anyway :fail:.

I can imagine them doing that as modifying it could lead to messing it up and voiding the warranty, but as this is accidental damage requiring a repair, they might be more helpful, hopefully.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can imagine them doing that as modifying it could lead to messing it up and voiding the warranty, but as this is accidental damage requiring a repair, they might be more helpful, hopefully.

I'd think they would like me to void the warranty so they're not responsible for it anymore :D. Also, I would think that opening the head by anyone other than Fenix or an authorized Fenix repair shop would void the warranty; it doesn't matter if it's modifying or repairing, once the seal is broken, that's it. Maybe they will help him out though. My guess is that Fenix will ask him to send it in for a customer pay repair, but I could be wrong, and I hope I am in this case.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think they would like me to void the warranty so they're not responsible for it anymore :D. Also, I would think that opening the head by anyone other than Fenix or an authorized Fenix repair shop would void the warranty; it doesn't matter if it's modifying or repairing, once the seal is broken, that's it. Maybe they will help him out though. My guess is that Fenix will ask him to send it in for a customer pay repair, but I could be wrong, and I hope I am in this case.

No, what I mean is, they might be more helpful as in offering to repair it rather then sending a new lens out. As for helping you to void the warranty, that could lead to you saying "well you sent me the reflector/lens and now you're saying I voided my warranty?"

I'm only guessing at their reasoning though.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for helping you to void the warranty, that could lead to you saying "well you sent me the reflector/lens and now you're saying I voided my warranty?"

I'm only guessing at their reasoning though.

Yeah, I could see some ignorant person doing that. It's a shame people like that ruin it for those of us who are man enough to take responsibility for our own actions. I hope they help him with his problem if that's the route he chooses to take.

heng84

Newly Enlightened
i had this tk10 too , tried my best... heated up the head then using the needle nose plier screw it open but no success sad.. theres 2 holes for me to put in the needle nose plier and i couldnt even move it so sad
sorry for my bad language

alan98vw

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ti-force, LumensMaximus and Zatoichi, thanks for the quick inputs. Especially Ti-force. You arrrre one flashaholic:). You didn't just gave me the link, but also gave me the appx. dimensions of len, very helpful. Because the glass would in pieces if I taking mine a part.

Ti-force,
I know the ring to hold the glass is already loose, because my TK10 is one of those that either no or not enough loctite :oops:, learned that from CPF members before I purchased the light :).

By judging the last few years of my TK10 experience, I say it is a very good solid light. The only thing that I want to expect more from Fenix is a better pouch. The pouch that came with didn't last 2 months. So I wouldn't worry about the warranty of the light. All I need is a replacement len, if they would send or sell me one, that would be great; or I will just buy one from the link Ti-force provided. And guess what, the flashlightlen.com is right here where I live - Utah :devil:.

I just hate to sent things to factory for warranty repair, what a hassle (shipping and waiting time). I would rather repair it myself and I will fix it right - not about Fenix, but I just had very bad experience with factory warranty. I fixed my own TV, washer, refrigerator and car, I don't want to mention brand here, but they are all brand names.

While the glass is shattered, it is still attached and held by the ring and it is still useable for awhile. I also ordered a light last Wed 6/30 from shiningbeam.com - The new version of MG PLI flashlight 700+ lumens neutral white SST-50 emitter, GH bin, should be here sometime next week :devil:.

Thanks again guys.