Local phone service AT&T vs. Verizon?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Verizon local phone service as well as being my DSL provider. I threw away the last bill but think I pay around $33 for phone service part of the bill which includes unlimited local dialing, caller ID and unlisted number. I get a call from AT&T, saying they can provide the same for $22. I told them to call me back while I try to figure out if there is a catch. Any experiences in switching between Verizon and AT&T for local services? I currently have no long distance carrier because between my cell phone and calling card I'm covered.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I can say this: I live in No. California, and my city dumped AT&T from conducting local calling service due to the high amount of consumer complaints received.

My AT&T cell phone works great, though...

--dan

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I think all local phone utilities are kinda bad. My hometown (a suburb of Madison, WI) has always been served by GTE, then Verizon after it's merger with the Baby Bell. Madison was always served by Wisconsin Bell, which became Ameritech post AT&T breakup, and now merged into SBC.

GTE always was years behind the state of the art in phone services. Touch-Tone dialing service was an extra cost on my bill until 1990. Caller ID was offered only years after it was available to the area Wis Bell cities, and it only gave a usable ID if the call originated in my hometown initially. I still have to pay extra to call any of the other suburban Madison cities, but those other communities can call all around with local service. DSL service was only initially offered late in 2001, and this is especially bad because GTE/Verizon has it's state headquarters just 1 mile from my home. It seems they provide new services everywhere else but here first.

I always hear other people complain about their phone service almost everywhere. The lower monthly bill offered by AT&T in your case likely has hidden costs for extra services. Of course they might be feeling the heat from people cancelling landline service in favor of cellular only service and being forced to lower rates. Try to get written details if you can.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have US West (now Quest I think) local service here. Figure it's $16 or thereabouts a month. I haven't had any problems with them, so I have nothing about them to post.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I switched from Bell South (ILEC in Nashville, TN) to the MCI, The neighborhood for my local and long distance services. I was paying about 100.00 a month and now pay about 70.00. I like the idea of unlimited local and long distance. So far no problems.