WOW cells to re-build a laptop battery pack

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I may be interested in buying WOW cells, since I need to re-build my laptop battery pack. It is still working (so, no problems with the internal PCB or memory that shoud be resetted), but I'd like to just change the cells.

I have a question: since I don't need the battery PCB protection (for that purpose, there is the built-in laptop's battery electronic), is it possible to remove it from te battery (I don't know, maybe simply cutting battery envelope and getting out the PCB) ? Even becouse I don't think that, with such dimensions, they may fit inside the original frame....

Any suggestion (even for other brands) ?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I may be interested in buying WOW cells, since I need to re-build my laptop battery pack. It is still working (so, no problems with the internal PCB or memory that shoud be resetted), but I'd like to just change the cells.

I have a question: since I don't need the battery PCB protection (for that purpose, there is the built-in laptop's battery electronic), is it possible to remove it from te battery (I don't know, maybe simply cutting battery envelope and getting out the PCB) ? Even becouse I don't think that, with such dimensions, they may fit inside the original frame....

Any suggestion (even for other brands) ?

Yes, I have done this many times with protected cells. The protection circuit is on the negative end. If you look closely, you will see a small recess at the end of the battery (where the shrink wrap goes around the battery and board. This is pretty much the extra length on the battery), take a knife and pop that out. You will pop the protection board off. The board is attached by way of a solder tab to the neg terminal and there is another tab that goes to +. Be careful with where you touch things as you can short + and - easily. Once you pull out the solder tab going to + you will have cut through the outside shrink wrap. Remove the shrink wrap. You can pull and wiggle the solder tab until it comes loose.

Oh, and I have been using the Dealextreme.com batteries, the good ones not the cheap crap, with good results. The UltraFire and TrustFire brand that are 2 for almost $10... Like I said get those not the 2 for $5 cause they SUCK. I get about 2250-2500 mah on the decent one...

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd stay away from cheapo batteries for a battery pack rebuild.

Your going to want to go with brand name cells if possible from companies like: sanyo, panasonic, lg, sanyo, sony etc.

Your also going to want to balance the cells. Select batteries with the closest to the same actual capacity.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes use some primadonna cells they dont cost diddly more, can come with proper tab items, and can LAST time.
i have sony li-ion 18650s in some $$$ pro batteries that cost some $900 each, luckily i bought them used, and the batts were from 2001, and still get at least 70% capacity today, With of course its special overpriced CCCV balance charger thing.

we have LG cells that have been in use THROUGH the purchace and finilisation via death of 3-4 sets (in time) of cheap cell items.

the differecnes (assuming they still exist,because it takes years to test for years) are simply amasing, and makes working with this other COMPLETE JUNK like bashing your head against a wall continually and never knowing why.

i am trying to say HUGE HUGE worthwhile differences in the cute numbered wizz bang today tested items. when your pack building i cant see any reason to torture yourself assembling something that just wont last. nobody knows if WOW will last at all. the brands that jackson points out are tried and true , tested over real time in real uses , and play out well time and time again.

even if you use robust 2000ma cell items, in about 2 years some of this junk wont give you that much power.
and the "INFO" curcuit on many battery packs is "tuned" to the intended capacity of the cells in there, so many times with more capacity the stupid computer in the battery wont USE it properly anyways.
a good set of replacement cell items even of the same exact (but often more robust) capacity of cell items will provide life often better than any OEM battery to begin with, and treated well, will be something you do ONE time not 4.

Last edited:

TranceAddict

Newly Enlightened
1. do not use *fire brand cells to rebuild laptop battery pack unless you like fire and explosion.

2. do not use PCB protected cell to rebuild battery pack, it might cause problem to the battery pack PCB and balancing circuit.

3. Choose Panasonic NCR18650A, which is highest in capacity so far.

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys,

thank you all for your replies!!
SInce I need a 2P3S configuration, this battery pack seems to fit my needings:

http://snipurl.com/yy79s

It cames from China (may be it a fake ? ) and it's quite cheap. Probably I can find a new battery for my laptop for about the same price, but the problem is that the laptop is quite old (about 6 years..damn!!) and I think that, the large quantity of the battery I can find in the market may be kept on stock for more than a while... that's why I'd like to use some "fresh" cells rather than buying a new battery (even because the most powerful battery I can find is abour 4.0 Ah).
I already know that I should reset the built-in circuit....

Thank you! (and my apologies for my english...but I'm Italian!)

ptolemy

Enlightened
1. do not use *fire brand cells to rebuild laptop battery pack unless you like fire and explosion.

2. do not use PCB protected cell to rebuild battery pack, it might cause problem to the battery pack PCB and balancing circuit.

3. Choose Panasonic NCR18650A, which is highest in capacity so far.
I think he is trying to save $ by rebuilding it himself. Using those panasonic sells will probably cost him more than OEM product :)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he is trying to save $ by rebuilding it himself. Using those panasonic sells will probably cost him more than OEM product :)

Might also only last 20-30 cycles if you use cheapo cells and don't balance them properly. :p

TranceAddict

Newly Enlightened

the NCR18650A cells I purchased from china distributor for USD$10 per cells but i think they supposed to be grade B cell, since the shipment priority are all given to major laptop vendors.

the price really depends on where you buy it. it is even cheaper in japan if you have someone who can source it to you, or take older generation NCR18650 it is merely USD 5 per cell

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
laptop battery pack has balancer built in

Won't do much good if the cells are garbage to begin with. I haven't used these WOW cells a whole lot, but I can say I've had UltraFire cells go bad on me in 20-30 cycles for no apparent reason. All it takes is one bad cell in a laptop pack, and the whole pack is rendered useless.