CMG Reactor 3AA Light Flickering Problem.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Like some of the fellow members here, I seem to have been hit by the CMG Reactor 3AA light flickering/dimming/fizzling out problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Not too sure what caused it, but it just happened suddenly. However, after experimenting my light for a while, it seems to me that the problem will most certainly occur when I twist the light clockwise. When I twist the light anti-clockwise, the light seems to behave properly, at least for my light. Will play with it more and report back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Looks like I am wrong! Now the light flickering problem is so serious that I am unable to get light out of the Reactor 3AA reliably. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif I have sent the light back to CMG Equipment. How's their support BTW?

Also, anyone else having this light flickering problem? Thanks!

iddibhai

Enlightened
yes and no... when i first got the light, no flicker. then a day later onwards, flicker. tonight, no flicker. go figure. i emailed cmg, they claim to be out of stock till end of the month, so i'll just keep it and hope it works instead of be lightless!

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
yes and no... when i first got the light, no flicker. then a day later onwards, flicker. tonight, no flicker. go figure. i emailed cmg, they claim to be out of stock till end of the month, so i'll just keep it and hope it works instead of be lightless!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! So, I wasn't the one facing this problem? Mine started flickering only around 1 week later. Then a while later, no flicker again. Seems like an intermittent problem to me.

Actually, I spoke to my retailer regarding this problem before, and he claimed that he was informed by CMG that we can't turn the bezel 360 degrees, or else the problem will occur. Wonder if that is the actual problem?

Anyway, hopefully this isn't a design flaw in the Reactor, and the problem can be solved soon. My light is barely 3 weeks old and now it's sent back to CMG Equipment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif But, I must add that their Infinity Ultra is really cool though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
odd, i was on cpf chat and was told the bezel does turn 360. it popped while doing so with more resistance than the normal turn, but it did continue to turn. this was AFTER the light was flickering, so my twisting did not was the cause for intermittent contact.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I sent my light back to CMG Equipment last month, and was contacted by CMG yesterday. They confirmed that the light should be able to turn 360 degrees without damaging it.

Another good news: They informed me that a new and **IMPROVED** version of the 3AA should be ready by the last week of September. By that, I hope they meant that they've solved the flickering problem that has plagued the Reactor 3AA users here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Will keep everyone updated when I receive my new light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

charliek

Enlightened
I have a 2AA CMG Reactor that flickers- you'd think they would have fixed it in the "improved" version of the 3AA.... now they say it's fixed in the "new" 3AA....
I'll believe it when I see it.... we should get a CMG rep here in the forum... I'd enjoy that.....

tech

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully they haven't improved by changing it's marketing:

" Now with a Green LED to preserve your night vision"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

T.

tech

Newly Enlightened
Yep, mine tends to the green as well...though I don't notice it at night walking the dog.
The light has issues, but I still like it as an affordable Luxeon.
Does anyone (Spango) have any info on what the "new and improved" version will be like?

T.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tech said:
Yep, mine tends to the green as well...though I don't notice it at night walking the dog.
The light has issues, but I still like it as an affordable Luxeon.
Does anyone (Spango) have any info on what the "new and improved" version will be like?

T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

At this point in time, I am not sure what are the "improvements" are on the "new and improved" Reactor 3AAs, but they said that my light will be sent out by this week. I will probably receive it in around 10 days time. The previous Reactor 3AA I got had a nice yellow tint, and I hope that I don't get a ugly green for my replacement. I will keep everyone informed when I receive my new light!

Stay Safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 R3's.

The first one I got has never flickered and I can't make it flicker when I try.

The second one I got about 2 months ago flickers and when it doesn't flicker, I can easily make it flicker by touching the bezel.

So for a temp fix, try resting the bezel over 1 of the 2 "peak" parts of the switching mechanism, rather than the "valley" part. It works even better if you hit the valley first and then go to any of the 2 peaks. (Am I even making any sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif )

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stangster said:
I have 2 R3's.

The first one I got has never flickered and I can't make it flicker when I try.

The second one I got about 2 months ago flickers and when it doesn't flicker, I can easily make it flicker by touching the bezel.

So for a temp fix, try resting the bezel over 1 of the 2 "peak" parts of the switching mechanism, rather than the "valley" part. It works even better if you hit the valley first and then go to any of the 2 peaks. (Am I even making any sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that was what I did before sending the light back. However, I feel that a 3 week light shouldn't behave like that, that was why I sent it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Spango said:
How's their support BTW?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience with CMG customer support has been excellent.
My first reactor, a 2AA had the old style switch without the detents. They offered to replace it with the new model at no charge. Then I got one of the very first 3AA reactors (it didn't even come in commercial packaging!). It worked for about 5 minutes. They promptly replaced it and included both an explanition and an apology.

JJHitt

Enlightened
On the suggestion of another CPF'er I squirted some silicone lube down the battery tube into my 3AA and it fixed the flickering (or at least reduced it to an only occasional and momentary event).

It worked. I have NO FLIPPING IDEA why it worked. I didn't expect it to work, but I really had nothing to loose as the light was unusable as is.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I received my replacement light yesterday (13-10-2003). So far so good, no flickering problem (may still be too early to tell). Switching on and off the light sure gives more positive feedback than the previous light I owned. Nonetheless, the "new & improved" version of the Reactor 3AA is definitely much whiter than my previous version (or is it that I am just lucky? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think you're just lucky. My first Reactor had that characteristic "rotten dog urine green" color that we all know and love (cough, sputter, sound of a toliet flushing). Subsequent Reactors (a "new and improved" 2 with detents for both on and off, and a Reactor 3) have been pure snow-white, with none of that rotten pee green color to their beams.

tech

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else get a "new and improved" 3AA?
Just wondering if they are all white, or if Spango won the infamour "luxeon lottery"

T.