lithiums in ITP A3

FlameOn

Enlightened
Will I be gaining much to switch to lithiums?...I seem to have read somewhere that the light will get real hot...but the advantage is they don't leak like regular batteries...can someone elaborate this issue for me a bit...thanks

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
The A3 on medium with 10440 is as bright as the AAA Duraloops on high.

Running the A3 on high with the 10440 is unbelievably bright and does run hot in about a minute.
I use mine on med unless I need that extra power for short bursts. Its nice to have that option which is why I use 10440.

NiMH batts will not leak unlike the alkalines.

shark_za

Enlightened
Don't confuse 3.7v 10440 Lithium Ion cells with Energiser Lithium L92's.

The rechargable li-ion cell make overheat the light on high but the L92 will chug along till completely drained.

FlameOn

Enlightened
thanks guys. BTW, I'm not up on all the numbers...if I were to go to the store and buy the battery over the counter, what would that be...the L92?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys. BTW, I'm not up on all the numbers...if I were to go to the store and buy the battery over the counter, what would that be...the L92?
The L92 (Energizer shiny battery) is not a lithium-ion cell and won't make that much difference in brightness. The 14500 is a lithium-ion AA-shaped cell, and will overdrive the light - heat becomes a problem. 14500s are generally only available by ordering them.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L92 (Energizer shiny battery) is not a lithium-ion cell and won't make that much difference in brightness. The 14500 is a lithium-ion AA-shaped cell, and will overdrive the light - heat becomes a problem. 14500s are generally only available by ordering them.

+1 My A3 is no brighter on a Lithium primary and as I use it everyday,Eneloops are the best food source for it to be safe and sound.

My Microstream on the other hand is brighter on Lithium primary and now as it is semi retired it has Lithium as its food source.

notsofast

Enlightened

You will likely have to go to a battery store. Ask for AAA lithium. Most stores carry only alkaline batteries.

FlameOn

Enlightened
I find mine bright enough...just worried about leakage, although it hasn't ever happened to me..should I just run the L92s for safety?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find mine bright enough...just worried about leakage, although it hasn't ever happened to me..should I just run the L92s for safety?

If you you use the light often,best bet would be eneloop or similar,if however seldom use it,pop in the Lithium primary to safe guard against leakage,myself I always use a good quality alkie for other devices such as remotes-clocks-telephones and never had issues.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
To hopefully clarify a bit...

The 10440s people refer to are special-purpose Lithium-ion rechargeables. They'll make the ITP A3 brighter, potentially cause it overheat, and require special handling and charging for safety reasons. It is essentially the same technology as laptop and cell phone batteries, but less controlled due to not being designed for general use.

Sanyo Eneloops are NiMH rechargeables, and these particular ones are known for their stable output and low-self-discharge properties. They will drain on their own over several months, hence the recommendation to use them only if you use the light often, but are pretty much the best rechargeables for general usage. They have the same handling and charging considerations as other typical NiMH AA/AAA rechargeables -- fairly safe and straightforward.

The Lithium primaries in AAA form that people refer to are from Energizer in the US. They have two versions: Advanced (EA92) and Ultimate (L92). The Ultimate version will last longer in the A3 on high mode, but both versions have very long shelf lives (10+ years), handle temperature extremes well, and don't leak. They have slightly higher voltage but are otherwise a drop-in replacement for alkalines. These are the ones you should use for a standby/backup/emergency light, and you can find them in many stores (Walmart, Target, etc in the US).