Do Cops listen to music?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

This question is for all LEOs that patrol in squad cars.

I've been contemplating joining either the Sheriffs department or the California Highway Patrol after i graduate college. I know i'll be doing a lot of driving or riding in a squad car.

I LOVE music, and i LOVE driving. Are you aloud to listen to music while on duty? I know that you have to really pay attention to your scanners and such, and i'm sure you'll be plenty busy on duty. But i'd still like to listen to some music on the job.

I can imagine myself driving to a crime scene, chasing the bad guy, or just patroling the streets, with a few good movie soundtracks. James Horner, John Williams, Hanz Zimmer, and many other composers really make some great action soundtracks that go well with driving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Either way, the answer won't sway my intent on becoming an LEO in the future. It just sounds like too much fun of a job to pass up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif All the LEOs that i've spoken to in the past have nothing but positive things to say about their line of work. I'm excited...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh...CHP radio cars don't have radios in them, that space is taken up by the CHP radio.

The cars at my Dept have standard AM/FM radios, and I get my fill...You get used to all the radio (police) noise, the in car computer always chriping, people yelling at you, etc...

There's quite a few good Depts in the San Diego area, and I'd guess in the next 3-4 years when the Calif. economy gets straightened out there'll be a big rush to fill all the vacant positions (as an example, my Dept is down 300 officers due to retirement, and no recruits because of no money).

--dan

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a rookie, the only song you will be able to listen to is the "Cops" themesong--Badboys, badboys, wha' 'cha gonna do when they come for you..."

After a year on the force you get promoted to "Shaft" and "Hill Street Blues" music

btw-I've only done a few ride-alongs, so the information may not be correct as it differs from dept to dept.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif *ouch* -jason

Ross

Enlightened
We dont have FM radios fitted in the cars but most of us have those wee portable radios which we attach to the sun visor with about a thousand elastic bands. It does make a difference, crusing with music, it seems to put me & my partner in a better mood and strange as it may seem, promotes conversation.
I love listening to dance music on a busy shift, seems to get me moving quicker as well.

Ross