BladeForums?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Short-circuited'? I sympothise. He has... what is it? 17,000 members? Whatever it is it's astronomical. There were 94 online early this morning. That's somewhere just before peak for CPF. Ya gotta realise there are much more trouble makers there.

Anyways, it seems like a technical problem and Spark is outta town. According to Cougar.

Skyline

Enlightened
Spark's a good guy. I think he's done an admirable job holding BFC together. And wouldn't you know it, BFC falls apart when he's out of town. LOL.

Hope it's back soon.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Well, that 'splains it then. Here I thought the poor guy was caught adrift in some server nightmare. Know what that's like. I've been involved in many a server "cutover" on the provider side of the fence, and it ain't no picnic. No matter how much planning went into it by IBM/Sun or whatever chief engineer was involved, something ALWAYS gets overlooked and when you throw the switch, BAM. Spark is cool, just saw him lose it couple of times recently, and thought it was a "technical issue" rather than some rogue members stirring the pot. Well at least he's on a well deserved vacation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ed.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DavidW said:
'Short-circuited'? I sympothise. He has... what is it? 17,000 members? Whatever it is it's astronomical. There were 94 online early this morning. That's somewhere just before peak for CPF. Ya gotta realise there are much more trouble makers there.

[/ QUOTE ]

By way of an anology, the BladeForums is a raucus saloon fight from the days of the old wild west, while the CPF is but a Women`s Club tea party...where the biggest issue is whether it`s really considered proper to open up the window when someone passes gas.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ROFLMAO Carpe !!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
e=mc² said:
No matter how much planning went into it by IBM/Sun or whatever chief engineer was involved, something ALWAYS gets overlooked and when you throw the switch, BAM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I've been there too, but not server cutovers... network cutovers. You can't help but feel a little panic when you switch over your new routing configuration and the whole network goes down. 60,000 users (20,000 PCs) all without the Internet.

LOL. Those were the good days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Yeah sucks that BFC is still down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That's one less available forum for me to waste time on. LOL.

Hope they are back soon...

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spark is out of town on family emergency personal business type stuff. I'm impatiently awaiting his return as well, but I assure you you'd understand his absence if you knew why he left.

In the meantime, I try to get my fix by reading cpf twice as much! Hey, maybe the BF expatriots should hang out in the CPF knife&gadget forum while BF is down

Joe

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BFC homeless are hanging out at knifeforums.com and I think they're overloading the server. I got 2-3 minutes worth of errors while surfing there.

Last I heard it was a SCSI RAID board that bit the dust. It was supposed to take about 4 days. So any day now.

Skyline

Enlightened
Spark and BFC are back. He's funny too.

[ QUOTE ]
Our downtime and the future of BladeForums.com
First off, about the downtime... here's what happened:

I had to leave town on Wed morning because of a family emergency. Friday, the BladeForums.com webserver developed a problem with it's RAID controller and I didn't find out until that evening. Long story short, we couldn't get replacement parts until today and we're back up and running.

In other news, I'm sick of this place and you filthy parasitic deadbeats who continually whine and ***** and complain about this site and how it's run. Screw you & build something better yourself. After tomorrow, only paying members will be able to post here - if you don't pay, you don't get to play. Also, Gold members will be limited to 2 posts a day, and Premiums must submit their postings 2 days before they will go on the site. Basic members will be able to read the forum, but unregistered members will not. For sale posts will be limited to 1 a day - excess posts will cost $5 each. So, in the words of Sean Connery - Suck it Trebeck.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just kidding! Got ya though. You guys sent hundreds of emails and dozens of phone calls supporting the site and hoping for our quick return, and I appreciate your patience & understanding with the outage. Welcome back!

In other news, vB 3.0 is due out shortly with new features. Hopefully this won't happen again - I don't need the additional stress.

[/ QUOTE ]