Just got a Surefire G2

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess you could say this is my first decent flashlight. I've had maglites, Photons, a couple of Petzl headlamps, but this one blows them all away. Man, this thing is BRIGHT and so small!! All of the pics I saw online had nothing for size reference, so it was much smaller than I expected.

So, how does this G2 (with the P60 lamp) compare with other lights out there, as far as light output and quality goes?

If the tailswitch was "clickie" it'd be pretty near perfect. (Check me out... newbie using the jargon)

What kind of bulb life can I expect from this light?

--Matt

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Well, since I sold it to you, I guess I should be the first one to post on this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The G2 is a great value, because you get the tried and true Surefire P60 lamp in a very cheap and lightweight package. Quality is top notch and in my opinion there is not a better 2x123 light out there for the price. The Pelican M6 is brighter, but I prefer the ruggedness of the P60 and the Surefire name/quality, not to mention their customer service and warranty. As for the clickie, you can get a "troll" one for about $5, and that would make the light perfect. For bulb life, you'll have to wait for Al to definitively answer that question, but I think that it will last you several months (or maybe even years) depending on usage.

And you got a great deal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the light. I really like it. I probably should call you a "pusher" because you might have helped start an addiction...

--Matt

Size15's

Flashaholic
The ball park figure is about 25 hours lifespan. Having said that, none of my SureFire lamps have died before 25 hours (unless they were killed or had a fault discovered within the first battery set) and many are still going strong after at least that, if not far longer.

The SureFire lamps may not be the brightest but that are specifically intended to remain stable for longer - especially since many see hard lives in WeaponLights.

Al

Skyline

Enlightened
If you like the G2 now, you have to try the P61. And if you do, just be careful not to leave it on. It'll melt the G2's lexan lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P

PulsE

Skyline, how does the throw of the p61 compare to that of the p60? I know the beam is a bit more spread out but ive never seen a beamshot from a p61 at any sort of distance...

FNG

Enlightened
Al, can you send me the pictures also? (You have my email from the other day).

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mundele said:
Well, I guess you could say this is my first decent flashlight. I've had maglites, Photons, a couple of Petzl headlamps, but this one blows them all away. Man, this thing is BRIGHT and so small!! All of the pics I saw online had nothing for size reference, so it was much smaller than I expected.

So, how does this G2 (with the P60 lamp) compare with other lights out there, as far as light output and quality goes?

If the tailswitch was "clickie" it'd be pretty near perfect. (Check me out... newbie using the jargon)

What kind of bulb life can I expect from this light?

--Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if it was a "clickie" it would be near perfect. It's this kind of thinking that keeps us buying differant lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it was smaller, run longer, brighter, differant color, glass lens, whiter light, etc.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The G2 is a really nice light. I have a couple myself.

Enjoy your G2, Surefire's are great lights.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mundele said:

[/ QUOTE ]

A CPF member figured out how to mod the G2 to use a Kroll clickie - I use it; it's very easy to mod, the clickie works perfectly, and it looks the same as the way you got it. Roy's G2 Clickie

Dan

tinyE

Newly Enlightened
For a while I questioned whether the kroll mod would live up to my expectations (what with the aluminum foil and all), but I finally did it and love it!

It works like a charm and feels like like it's a stock piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Really? I was hesitant for the same reason. I hate for something to feel cobbled together. Is a Kroll switch a brand name or a type of switch? Is it something I can get locally, like at a radioshack, or do I have to get it from a specialty flashlight website?

tinyE

Newly Enlightened
Exactly....cobbled together!! I couldn't come up with the right term, but that's it.

I also questioned my wisdom in putting another $5 in a $20 light; but once I got it in, it was just what I was looking for.

I ordered them from the Sandwich Shop linked above.

arioch

Enlightened
Another plus vote for the Kroll clickie in the G2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Fits well; feels like OEM. Carry my G2 on my belt at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Someone mentioned to me that the end cap screws down tight (without the gap). Does your endcap fit this well also after you add the clickie?

--Matt

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My G2 now has the Switch Module from the Skunkworks and the tail cap noes not screw down tight to the body on mine. I have about an 1/8 inch gap.