Lumapower Signature GX

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
This for consideration of being moved to review section.

I attended the Flashaholics Camping Weekend FCW-6 (Hickory Run State Park) several weeks ago on 6/12/2010 and was one of the many fortunate folks to have received some generous "gifts" from various sponsors of the weekend.

The prize of my "catch" (and subject of these observations) was a Lumapower signature "package"--the light itself with an extra head (one large 44mm and one smaller 35mm), four extra o-rings and a glow in the dark tail switch cover all contained in a cardboard display box with instructions.

9r7xja.jpg

Overall impression of the light is that it is of high quality having first-rate machining and annodizing with size comparable to several other lights in my collection. Note left to right the Lumapower GX, a Surefire U2, a STERN and a SFIII.

72b19y.jpg

25spl6e.jpg

The light has the script writing of "Signature" written on one of the bevels and (underneath the pocketclip) the word "Lumapower". Closer to the head of the light are engravings of two CR123As 3V depicting their positioning in the light tube and, the same designation for an alternate power source, an 18650 3.7V. There are also three elongated grooves cut into the tube at 120 degree spacings possibly present to install tritium tubes up to 13mm in length. On the opposite side of the clip is a button referred to as the "multi-level Sidekick controlcircuit with memory functions" (found this noted in the directions). The tail has two broad scallops cut into it to permit for use from the side and two holes through which to attach a lanyard. Just in front of the tailswitch is a scalloped ring which prevents the light from rolling off a surface (to some degree). The light consists of 12 parts and can be disassembled easilly.

The light operates in a typical forward clicky manner with the tail switch controlling on and off functions--with one major difference. What makes this UI unique (at least to me!) is the presence of the second switch on the side of the light ("Sidekick" button) which controls light levels and functions when the light is on. Starting from the off position, one click on the tailswitch and you are in the operating mode. Depending upon which level you last turned the light off (the light has a memory which will return you to the last level you used prior to turning the light off) you have the possibility of accessing one of three remaining varying light levels and a strobe. I found this feature unique in respect to all of my other lights and a very useful function. An example being the case where the light may be used during the middle of the night and you wish it to illuminate at the very lowest level on your way to the bathroom considering your eyes are dark adapted. Another use (forgive my lack of creativity here, there are dozens of others I'm sure!) could be to set it on high or strobe for use in startling whatever you may encounter which needs startling :eek: a bear at Hickory Run State Park for instance!

The light uses a Cree XP-G emitter with the typical rings cast onto the light
target--this feature noted particularly in lights using smooth reflectors (both heads included used smooth reflectors). I don't find this fact distracting or limiting in illuminating objects other than casting the light onto the ceiling or a wall. The light is very bright at the brightest level--listed at 450 lumens-- and less so on lower levels. Stated illumination levels are listed as 20 lumens to 450 lumens and runtimes at 80 minutes (ultra-high) using two 123s and 270minutes at the same level with an 18650.

I used it and both heads in a 1 mile walk around outside my home and found it to be a most useful illuminator.

2. First-rate annodizing with complete coverage.
3. Battery designation on side of light.
4. Unique user-interface with side level button.
5. Modular design with two heads included.
6. Inclusion of extra o-rings and tailcap cover.
7. Good in the hand feel (subjective).

Like to change:

1. No apparent reverse polarity protection
2. Would like a slight orange-peel reflector to smooth out beam

Overall impression is that this is a fine performing "throw" light with great flexibility in output via a unique (?) side button control system at a very competitive price. Try it, you'll like it.

I ALMOST forgot to add that this fine light was donated by Lumapower and can be found at www.lumapower.com

Karl

Last edited: