Milky's Newest Creation - "Elendil"

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned a long time ago that: CPF + Custom Builders = zero personal $$!!

But that's okay. When you have the honor of beta testing one of Milky's newest creations, it's not an expense or loss of wealth - rather, it's an opportunity to invest in one of the coolest new lights available!! :eek:

Introducing "Elendil" -

IMG_0885.JPG

And this ain't your buddy's LX2!!

I can't begin to describe all the fascinating and innovative work that went into this light! Everyone who enjoys the utilization of these tools or collecting these lights is likely familiar with the Surefire LX2. But what if you took an LX2, stripped it to the core, and rebuilt it as a very special new light. Then equipped it with some of the coolest programming ever to come out of Milkyspit labs? And gave it adaptability that I can't even begin to explain!

Tale of the tape - notice the "Special Reserve" label - I'll let Milky describe what that means, but rest assured, it is indeed special!:
IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

But that's only part of the story - Scott bored out the battery tube such that a 17670 would slip in perfectly - yet he stopped the boring at the tail switch end so that the battery gently comes to a stop before bottoming out against the tail cap.
IMG_0905.JPG

The threads have been worked until they twist with buttery smoothness...if you (like me) didn't really consider the Surefire Twisty/push button interface as 'great', you will change your mind when you try this one!! You can twist the switch with a gentle thumb push - put it on low with a twist for walking - then press the button for a BLINDINGLY bright hi!

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

And in this day and time when 'warm' is all the rage, Milky masterfully crafted a beam of 5700K...but more on that when we get to the beam shots...:D

And there's the business end...that hand picked SST-50 LED behind a beautifully crafted set of optics...
IMG_0893.JPG

And then there's the glo ring between the two outer lenses...so useful

IMG_0898.JPG

I won't get into lumen ratings - I'll let Milky share that information - but let's just say "plenty!!" And as always, he's built in some nice surprises in the various modes of operation - a 'miser' mode and the coolest strobe you've ever seen - easily accessible with just a few button presses. But enough of this - let's get on with the beam shots!

The area you will see is a corner of my patio - the camera is about 20 feet from the plants in the photo. Here are the vital camera statistics:
Camera: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 40D
ISO: 1000
Exposure: 8.0 sec
Aperture: 22.0
Focal Length: 18mm

If you'd like to see all these images at higher resolution, please visit this link.

After the individual shots, you'll find collages comparing each light to the Elendil so that you can get an 'at a glance' comparison. Prepare to be very pleased! Take particular note of the evenness of the lighting within the area.

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Impressed yet? These are no lightweights that the Elendil is up against!! And what these shots don't show you is the incredible 'mule like' smoothness of the beam. I use it on lo to check the time on my watch and there is no glare coming off the watch crystal...just nice smooth light.

It has great throw, too - but that will be different beam shots another day!

Now look at the close comparison shots:
beamshots%20732010.jpg

beamshots%207320101.jpg

beamshots%207320102.jpg

beamshots%207320103.jpg

beamshots%207320104.jpg

beamshots%207320105.jpg

beamshots%207320106.jpg

beamshots%207320107.jpg

beamshots%207320108.jpg

beamshots%207320109.jpg

So, there you go - perhaps you'll have a chance to own one of these very soon! I'd say that Milkyspit Labs has created a game changer!!:twothumbs

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY NICE !!

The closest to it appears to be the Haiku XP-G. I like the almost complete absence of a hot spot, yet lots of light (yet not a flood it sounds like). Appears somewhat similar to moddoo triple with narrow optics.

Very impressed!

It appears that the purple flower that was in your last set of beam shots is now gone, too bad as it really helped show the color...

Zendude

Enlightened
I love the beam profile! Someday.....

Hmmmm....Star Lover? It even has a pic of the White Tree....maybe to represent the beautiful white light of the chosen emitter? Sorry, geek moment.:crazy:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that's only part of the story - Scott bored out the battery tube such that a 17670 would slip in perfectly - yet he stopped the boring at the tail switch end so that the battery gently comes to an elegant stop before bottoming out against the tail cap.

That description is a bit fluffy :crackup: Nice light, enjoy it.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SST-50 behind the Stock Surefire TiR Optic gives out a nice even beam.

I been waiting for somebody to report on a Milky LX2 build...

Great pictures and great review with plenty of pictures:party:

Barbarian

Enlightened
Great photos as always Dan.

Smooth is definitely the word that comes to my mind as well. It looks like a fantastic new toy.

BTW, the tint on that modded Ra Clicky is sensational.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Smooth is definitely the word that comes to my mind as well. It looks like a fantastic new toy.

Thanks, Tim. It's been a 'busy' week...:ohgeez::crazy: :eek:

I'll post a 'mini review' of that light over in Tekno Cowboy's thread a bit later. He did a great job, too! Quite a nice beam pattern coming out it, yes?:thumbsup:

SFfanman

Enlightened
Your reviews just keep getting better and better. :bow: I can speak for many when we say that we all appreciate the time and effort it takes to put a review like this together. These reviews seem to breath life into the flashaholic scene and only enhance the forum in a way that single pictures can't. This new creation seems to out-do all the others when it comes to floody throw and it looks like a giant splash of light hit the back fence.

I wonder if the top execs at Surefire have any idea what lurkes in the Milky Labs. :eek:oo:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review, run4jc

Another home run from Milkyspit.

:twothumbs

Your reviews just keep getting better and better. :bow: I can speak for many when we say that we all appreciate the time and effort it takes to put a review like this together. These reviews seem to breath life into the flashaholic scene and only enhance the forum in a way that single pictures can't. This new creation seems to out-do all the others when it comes to floody throw and it looks like a giant splash of light hit the back fence.

I wonder if the top execs at Surefire have any idea what lurkes in the Milky Labs. :eek:oo:

Thanks, guys. It is a lot of 'work', but it is a labor that I truly enjoy. Experimenting with different settings on the camera - placement, lighting, exposure times, etc., is helping me to understand photography a bit better. And while I am out of school for the summer and have to deal with work "only", plus having agreeable weather, there's a bit more time to 'play'.

The real thing to appreciate here, however, is the amazing assortment of new and outstanding lights.:eek:oo: Man, oh man, it's a budget buster! :ohgeez: Every time you turn around there's something new - and each one has a unique story to tell.

It's a great time to be a flashaholic! :twothumbs lovecpf

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is sweet, would have loved to see it head to head with another LX2 though. ;)

PSM, the stock LX2 gives pretty much identical output to that of the E2DL, which is in the photos. LX2 and E2DL share the same optic and type of LED... they have different circuits but both seem to deliver the same output current, so in practical terms the beamshots are more-or-less interchangeable.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
PSM, the stock LX2 gives pretty much identical output to that of the E2DL, which is in the photos. LX2 and E2DL share the same optic and type of LED... they have different circuits but both seem to deliver the same output current, so in practical terms the beamshots are more-or-less interchangeable.
Oh, my bad!! Didnt see the E2DL in the lineup!!! :)

Wow, the beam is gorgeous!!!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods Milk. :thumbsup:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work...How much current is that SST-50 getting, if you don't mind me asking?