Sushi anyone?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to my flashlight addiction, I found that recently I have also become dependent on wasabi and raw fish.

How many others eat the stuff and what kinds are your favorite.

I'll start--I've got 3 faves: Ika, Rainbow roll and Dragon roll

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
-Jason

iddibhai

Enlightened
pics? or descriptions? i have no idea of the stuff, but would like to learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i dont like fish however, but like looking at pretty pics of food and reading about it!

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I'm partial to Tuna belly, Sea Urchin, Salmon etc. Anything that's raw fish or shellfish, basically.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
pics? or descriptions? i have no idea of the stuff, but would like to learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i dont like fish however, but like looking at pretty pics of food and reading about it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sushi Gallery Galore

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
iddibhai-- Even thoug you don't like fish, you don't need to feel left out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think a "california roll" is only made with rice, seaweed, avacado, cucumber and a carrot slice, but I can't be sure since I haven't had one in a while.

Eating sushi is a real treat for me. It's all about the presentation and taste. Some people don't like it, but I think it's all a "mindset."

-Jason

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my ika, which is squid. A lot of people don't like this one, but I think if it's done right it's better than the salmon or tuna
nigiri_ika.gif

sushi page

-Jason

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I like squid myself. The mistake some people make is to try to eat the squid after they've eaten something with a stronger taste, like tuna belly for example. The idea is to work your way up, from the items with the lightest flavour (like ika, and most white fleshed fish)to the stronger ones,so as not to screw up your taste buds, which is why items like tuna belly and roast eel are typically at the last leg of the course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whistler

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
20150240.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I0m not sure what I found more interesting. The Turbo E1e or the Spicy yellowtail roll... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Making your own sushi is really fun. And delicious (hopefully).

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
I judge most of the sushi bars on the spicy tuna handroll. It gives you an opportunity to test the freshness of the Nori (kelp), and the spice used to "kick it up a notch". I lean more to the Sashimi varieties of tuna, eel, salmon, Ika, and yellow tail. Ama Ebi (sweet shrimp) is a great way to round out the meal. Folks get nervous when they bring out the full head deep-fried. Gotta have the Miso soup, some gyoza and an oyster shooter topped with quail's egg and scallions for an appetizer.
Rainbow rolls rate pretty high with lots of avocado and sesame seed. Originally from Ohio, I was disgusted with the idea of eating raw fish when I saw it out here in CA. twenty years ago, until I tried a California roll on a dare(cooked crab), then I was hooked! Gotta have it once a week ! There is one place that makes the best Ika; he cooks it until tender, uses crosshatching knife cuts to break up the tissue, drizzles on sweet teriyaki sauce then shaves a Japanese citrus rind on top that will clear anyone's sinus'. I found that most bars have a specialty or do one item exceptionally well. Soft shell crab roll at one place, Seared garlic tuna roll at another, Seafood Dynamite down the road, spicy tuna salad in the authentic style at another joint, yellow tail collar in Miso paste, etc…
I would also recommend(if you can find it) Spanish mackerel, oshinko, bonito, zuke, and Toro.

So besides the varieties available at one restaurant, there are varieties of sushi restaurants.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I just had sushi for dinner tonight and I happen to be having it for lunch and dinner tomorrow as well. And since I had it for lunch on Tuesday, that'll be four times this week. This is what I eat at least once a week (for the past couple of years):

sushi.jpg

Top left (yellow) is Tamago (egg)
Below that (pinkish) is Hamachi (yellow tail)--my favorite
Bottom left (brown) is Unagi (freshwater eel)
Second from right is Spicy Tuna
and rightmost is Ahi/Maguro (tuna)

I've also had the pleasure of eating sushi with Mr.Ted Bear, Mr.Bulk and Sonic a few months back. Flashlights and Sushi--my kind of night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to correct a common misconcepcion. Sushi does not mean raw fish. There are some kinds that do have raw fish. But not every kind is made with raw fish, or any fish for that matter. Futomaki is just the seaweed, rice (it's the rice IIRC that gives sushi it's name), and a vegetable.

Sashimi OTH is always raw fish. A different dish.

Corrected the misspelling (this was my poor typing skills). Still the factual error though. But thanks for the correction.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
In my best Homer Simpson voice..."Yummm... sushi..."

The whole sushi experience is, IMO, eating with your eyes before eating with your hands. The presentation matters.

From the enoki mushrooms and miso soup to unagi and spicy crunch rolls, it's all good. Don't forget the green tea or red bean ice cream.

Parasites or other cooties aren't a concern. Once you start eating sushi you learn which places have the freshest and tastiest fish.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red bean ice cream--I haven't been able to get that down here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
One really nice place (when I lived in Pittsburgh) had green tea in bean paste that was so good I'm salivating just remembering it from years ago...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

-Jason

JOshooter

Enlightened
I know California's not in the best shape right now, but I like California rolls. Easy to make, and so much that can be done with them. Tuna, smoked tuna, salmon, smoked salmon, cucumber, carrots... the list goes on.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had sushi yesterday for lunch, I rarely eat raw fish though, my typical meal consist of miso soup, tempura, teriyaki chicken, salad, green tea ice cream, and on occasion the crispy roll ( $7 dollar roll! ) comes out to like 1.00+ per peice! BTW, presentation is the best of any cuisine. The plates the food is served on is awesome.