Anyone buy more than one TK20?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a TK20 a couple of years back, and it still remains one of my favorite lights. With rumors of the upcoming new version, I fear the current TK20 will be discontinued soon, and I'm thinking about buying another one so that I can have a spare.

At the same time I'd feel a little strange buying another copy of a light I've already got, when I could put the money towards a newer whiz-bang light instead. However, with the XP-G lights it looks like throw ability is suffering a lot, so a light like the TK20 might be the last of the throw-based lights to come along for a while.

Anybody bought more than one TK20??

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been thinking about it but haven't yet. Every one I've bought so far has been like playing the inductor whine lottery and there have been a few exchanges and a lot of legwork involved in getting fairly quiet ones. Probably just going to hang onto the one I have - it's built like a truck and by the time it dies, I expect there'll be some amazing throwers out there to replace it with.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
ST, I bought three TK20 since it´s release. Two for me, one for my father.

I pulled the trigger in the last one 4 days ago. It is in postal service right now, coming for my hands!

This light is awesome!!

red02

Enlightened
Absolutely nothing wrong with getting one for the sake of redundancy. I have 3 Photon freedoms and am proud of it. No matter how good the warranty is, its meaningless when something breaks on a trip. While its nice to know you'll be able to send it to get serviced, its even better to be able to pull another light out of nowhere and continue on with what ever you were doing before.

I had no idea that the TK20 had an inductor whine, I've never heard of a current controlled light whining. Aren't PWM lights the only types to be subject to this?

Come to think of it, I don't really know why that should be the case. Can someone explain?

cordystoy

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 tk20's a grey and a yellow. The yellow has the high pitch whine on turbo....so get the grey. I'm not sure it whines all the time I only notice if it's really quiet, but they are awesome lights. I'm thinking of getting something bigger soon, not sure what I'll start a new thread and get advice.

red02

Enlightened
I assume the whine is from a switched-mode boost converter.

I know that the whine will be louder if the inductor is cracked... I guess thats not really applicable here.

Can you elaborate on what a switched-mode converter does that makes the that noise?

shark_za

Enlightened
A switched mode boost converter works by turning a switch on/off and thereby causing the inductor to produce its own voltage so to speak. This "switch" is a transistor that works at high frequency switching off and on to produce this effect.
Passed through a diode the original voltage and the inductor voltage are added together. In effect boosting the voltage up. Current is less though.

Take a look here at an explanation I tried to put in laymans terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

The key principle that drives the boost converter is the tendency of an inductor to resist changes in current. When being charged it acts as a load and absorbs energy (somewhat like a resistor), when being discharged, it acts as an energy source (somewhat like a battery).

Switching quickly between charge and discharge allows us to take that energy source and add it to the original voltage for the boost.

Downsides are noise and interference you hear as a whine.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the same time I'd feel a little strange buying another copy of a light I've already got, when I could put the money towards a newer whiz-bang light instead. However, with the XP-G lights it looks like throw ability is suffering a lot, so a light like the TK20 might be the last of the throw-based lights to come along for a while.

I know that strange feeling of having 2 of the same lights, if you want to check out another throw based 2AA light, look up Eagletac's P100A2, which actually slightly outthrows the TK20, 6860 Lux for the Eagletac (cool white) and 6180 Lux for the Fenix from light-reviews.com. You can choose neutral or cool white with the Eagletac.

Numb

Newly Enlightened
I have two and planning to buy another one, because someone always has borrowed mine when Im going to use it. :candle:

/N

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
The much cheaper E20 throws almost as much as the TK20. I was comparing it w/ my nephew it last night. I should have exchanged the batts because the former was alkaline powered and the latter was w/ Energizer lithiums in it. They were both thrashed by the Led Lenser M7 and even the uncollimated A9
was no match for the much bashed LL. I use Energizer lithiums in my LL btw.

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I got one recently and gave it to my hard of hearing father in law. It had a very loud whine on high that was noticeable from across the room.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a TK20 a couple of years back, and it still remains one of my favorite lights. With rumors of the upcoming new version, I fear the current TK20 will be discontinued soon, and I'm thinking about buying another one so that I can have a spare.

Anybody bought more than one TK20??

I'm feeling the same way. I wouldn't mind a second one before the current model is phased out, but there also so many other lights that interest me. Experience has thaught me that throw isn't everything, however, so I have mixed feelings on this. I'm hoping that Fenix will come out with some warmer spectrum lights in the near future, but I'm still thinking about a backup TK20. Flashaholism can be torturing at times...

computernut

Enlightened
I got one for my dad and I was impressed with it except for the whine on high. The feel in the hand was a little off too, maybe a little head heavy. I was thinking of replacing my Energizer Swivels in my Jeep with a couple of TK20's but I don't think I want to play the whine-lottery since I have to order them in.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just one TK20 and it's a great light. Would have been better with an o/p reflector, then I would have bought more.

I don't need a AA thrower. I've got some big lights for that job.

If they do replace/update the TK20 with something with an XP-G and an o/p reflector, and get the whine sorted, and retain the simple UI, I will get quite a few. Three for me and one for each member of the family.

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 (two grays and a yellow.) They are one of my favorites. Just a really nice light.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my TK20, but one is enough for me since I have my sights set on a TK45. If you're thinking about getting another one though and if you can afford it and you really like it, I'd say go for it. If, heaven forbid, you manage to kill your existing TK20, having another one ready to go is a good investment.

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
I've got 3 sitting on the shelf to give to non-flashaholics in the family when they want something more than the LD01 on their keychain. Great light and easy to operate. Definitely a good one to have around.

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I would buy another one in a heartbeat! I saw a package deal recently, A TK20 and an E01 for $56-. (Maybe Batteryjunction?) I had a Quark mini on the way, so I took a pass, but I'd sure do it next payday if I saw it again.:)