My new addiction

Plink

Newly Enlightened
All I wanted was an LED flashlight for an upcoming kayak trip. Eventually my research for the right light took me here and after about 3 days of reading I'm now ADDICTED! I ended up buying two flashlights but I want more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

I never realized how many types there were and just how cool they are (nor that they're so popular). I mean, I've always gotten a little chuckle from flashlights and I really had some fun with my new LED headlamp on the kayak trip last year but, man, there are some wicked lookin torches out there and I want em!

Anyway, thought I'd just say hello and I'll be back with some questions, I'm sure.

BTW, I bought the Ultra-G from countycomm which I plan to wear around my neck on the trip (where can I get a nice lanyard for it?). And I also bought a PaLight which I'll attach to my PFD in case I get sucked out to sea (I've come close before) or wreck on a rocky island.

And now I've got my eye on a Streamlight Twin-Task for the longer range stuff with the Xenon mode. Unless someone has a better idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want something smallish, long life batteries/bulbs, water-resistant, but I want to be able to blast a nice beam with it.

Thanks!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plink,
Run while you still can, your wallet will thank you! Welcome to the CPF, it is a very interesting, yet clostly place to hang your hat. You might as well get the Surefire purchase done early, the L4 with the 5W Luxeon will blast a nice beam. Just clip it to your belt and enjoy the brightness.

Plink

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Run while you still can, your wallet will thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more worried about my wife... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The L4 looks like it'd be perfect but I just can't justify the cost--yet. I'd like to keep it under $40 or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you had a list and narrowed it down to 2. Then, you bought both. Theeeeen, you realized you needed another one. Good job, Plink. I wonder how many plinkers you have.

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plink,

I don't think the Palight is waterproof. It is splashproof. If you want something that will survive immersion, you might look at the Underwater Kinetics line of lights.

Wilkey

Welcome! And you will learn to hide new lights from your wife or significant other. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

arioch

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Plink said:

And now I've got my eye on a Streamlight Twin-Task for the longer range stuff with the Xenon mode. Unless someone has a better idea. I want something smallish, long life batteries/bulbs, water-resistant, but I want to be able to blast a nice beam with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:

I don't think the Palight is waterproof. It is splashproof. If you want something that will survive immersion, you might look at the Underwater Kinetics line of lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Ginseng on both points. The Palight casing is two rubber pieces joined by a metal band. It is splash resistant, but not submersible.

Plink;

I have a Nuwai rechargeable version of the SL TwinTask. It is a solid choice, but for your requirements, I would recommend a UK AS2. It is a 4aa light, has a push button switch, is very pocketable, is submersible, has a xenon bulb, is pretty bright, and has a good beam with long throw. Pricing is in the $15-18 range. Good price for a good light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Plink

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the warnings, welcomes, and advice.

I've scratched the PaLight order--I definitely need waterproof since I'll be surrounded by it (water) most of the day. I don't know how I missed that...

As a possible alternative I've found the Pelican MiniFlasher. It's 100% strobe only but that's fine since I'll have my brandy new Ultra-G with me at all times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Mini's 1/2 mile visibility range is a bit lower than most others I looked but the 130 hours burn-time blows the others away.

As for a regular duty light, I've narrowed it down to the TEC-40 and UK 2AA. Gonna be a tough decision... I like the 2AA's switch and more compact size but I don't like the proprietary bulb. OTOH, the TEC-40 can apparently use generic bulbs. But then I'll probably only be using the light a few times a year so it may not be that much of an issue.

So I dunno.... need to do meditating on this one... Please, somebody try to sway me one way or the other! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

TIA

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Buy the PT Tec 40. Check out Quickbeams reveiw site.
I have 2 Tec 40s & for the money they're hard to beat. I've
used them at The Boundry Waters on a couple of trips & never
had any problems. I had these for thro, but we used
headlamps most of the time. Your headlamp & Ultra-G are
right on for kayaking. Enjoy your search!

Plink

Newly Enlightened
You guys sold me. TEC-40 it is.

Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to use these puppies!