fenix TK40 vs TK45 on throw

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I was in a local shop that has both TK40 and TK45 in stock. I was able to play with them in the store. (for you guys in my area AM Surplus in Bellevue NE) the TK45 has a bigger bright spot, and has more total lumens (630/760).

In a store you can only tell so much, I would like to hear from anyone who has taken both out in the dark and compared the bright spot at like 250 yards..

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Neither one can really throw close to 250 yards for the naked eye but at say 50 yards the TK40 is clearly better.

someuser

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Pandorum on the TK40 can't really throw too far. The max I can get out of the TK40 for me is 100m on turbo. Yes it goes maybe 300m, but the thing is it's just barely illuminating the spot you are pointing.

With $150, I think you can get a hotwire incan which with a deep reflector. The light for sure makes things bright. haha :huh:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for pointing to my review.

You're not gonna see much with a TK40 at 100 meters. You might spot a monkey in a tree at 50 meters, but any further than that I don't believe you would be able to see much even with a better thrower. Your eyes do ahve their limit. The TK45 won't out throw the TK40, but the light coming out is much more useful. See my review, knowing that the pictures are pretty close to reality.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
great review on the TK45, I was too narrow in my search term and didn't catch that. I'll get the TK45, I was prefering it already.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning throw of TK40(and TK30): I wish Fenix had made an optional deep reflector for a narrower beam and more focused hotspot. That would be great for longer distances.
The wide beam and hotspot is great for short and mid range but for long range not very useful(in some cases the wide spill acually dazzles when lightning up the foreground and worsens the ability to see the object at distance), so a narrower beam with brighter spill and hotspot would make it just great.

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning throw of TK40(and TK30): I wish Fenix had made an optional deep reflector for a narrower beam and more focused hotspot. That would be great for longer distances.
The wide beam and hotspot is great for short and mid range but for long range not very useful, so a narrower beam with brighter spill and hotspot would make it just great.

That probably would help increase the throw of the TK30/40 a bit, but keep in mind that those lights have a huge MC-E LED in them. The MC-E, because of its large size, is not known for having a lot of throw compared to the smaller LEDs like the XR-E. I always thought that they had a pretty deep reflector already.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That probably would help increase the throw of the TK30/40 a bit, but keep in mind that those lights have a huge MC-E LED in them. The MC-E, because of its large size, is not known for having a lot of throw compared to the smaller LEDs like the XR-E. I always thought that they had a pretty deep reflector already.

During the time I edited my text you quoted me. My added text:
(in some cases the wide spill actually dazzles when lightning up the foreground and worsens the ability to see the object at distance) is something I several times have experienced.

QED2

Newly Enlightened
Can the reflector be replaced? I believe the head is sealed? Has anyone opened one?